Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of whether or not it may fit within that boundary, the park's theme still insinuated that all the animals belong to Earth (especially with all the other lands being under such a phylum). But that does not answer why Walt Disney Imagineering is not being original with their ideas. I have minimal doubt that this area will be great, but I do not think that these last few projects (save Buena Vista Street) correctly display the creative capabilities of themed attraction design. Beastlie Kingdomme would infinitely be a better expansion.

Unless the Dueling Dragons assassin were to strike DAK! At any rate, there is nothing limiting DAK to Earth. If the company wants to expand into theoretical alien species, they can.

Regardless of whether or not it may fit within that boundary, the park's theme still insinuated that all the animals belong to Earth (especially with all the other lands being under such a phylum). But that does not answer why Walt Disney Imagineering is not being original with their ideas. I have minimal doubt that this area will be great, but I do not think that these last few projects (save Buena Vista Street) correctly display the creative capabilities of themed attraction design. Beastlie Kingdom would infinitely be a better expansion.

I don't understand why all of their ideas "must" be original. Originality is nice and appreciated, but they still have the capability of creating some original attractions, shows, shops, and restaurants. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter was unoriginal, yet it was still heavily praised.

How so? I didn't have a problem with Avatar as an attraction. I had a problem of the rumored attraction that was going to be in Universal, a 4-d movie in Hollywood.

You said..

BriMan said:
You do realize that making a whole land out of Pandora is pretty silly and would go against everything the movie stood for, right? The Na'vi are primitive, so having "technology" and restaurants would defeat the purpose. I can see 1 attraction being made where the army is going to take one last chance at the unobtanium but everything else?

I'm basing my argument on the history of WDI. Countless times they created attractions based upon new and enthralling ideas. Spaceship Earth is absolutely brilliant in an architectural, artistic, and themed attraction viewpoint. Whatever designs that will arise will be amazing without a doubt, but the attraction saved for the assumed space (BK) would have worked so much better with the general aspects of Animal Kingdom.

Is there an Avatar attraction anywhere else? Is there a Wizarding World of Harry Potter anywhere? Not even close. They're both original, just not in the traditional way. Neither has been done before. That's freakin creative to me.

I'm basing my argument on the history of WDI. Countless times they created attractions based upon new and enthralling ideas. Spaceship Earth is absolutely brilliant in an architectural, artistic, and themed attraction viewpoint. Whatever designs that will arise will be amazing without a doubt, but the attraction saved for the assumed space (BK) would have worked so much better with the general aspects of Animal Kingdom.

So if Universal was going to build it, you were going to be okay with it?

Universal Creative has a history of basing their attractions on films and the such. It's within the historical aspect of their design processes. Granted, they have designed completely original themed attractions. That is not the case here.

If Walt Disney Imagineering has both a great and solid history of complete originality, then why not continue this? Character-basing has proven to work in most cases, yes, but then where will the new ideas come from? Avatar being the new themed attraction Disney will release will be great as a theme park attraction without a doubt, but I would have preferred it to have been in Hollywood Studios where it would make most sense, judging its basis on a film. Beastlie Kingdomme would have worked beautifully with the generally implied mundane theme of Animal Kingdom.

Beastly Kingdom was never going to see the light of day, sadly. This is the next best thing.

Animal Kingdom does not have a big property in the park, and the only draw in the park for most guests is Everest. It makes more sense at AK than DHS, not only because of the "save nature and conserve" aspect, but because DHS is more of a concrete jungle.

And for someone who looks for originality, I find it funny you have no problem with Potter taking over IoA's sole, original island.

EDIT: Just to clear my point, you had Beastly Kingdom in some form with Lost Continent, but Potter took over. See the hypocrisy.

Universal Creative has a history of basing their attractions on films and the such. It's within the historical aspect of their design processes. Granted, they have designed completely original themed attractions. That is not the case here.

If Walt Disney Imagineering has both a great and solid history of complete originality, then why not continue this? Character-basing has proven to work in most cases, yes, but then where will the new ideas come from? Avatar being the new themed attraction Disney will release will be great as a theme park attraction without a doubt, but I would have preferred it to have been in Hollywood Studios where it would make most sense, judging its basis on a film. Beastlie Kingdomme would have worked beautifully with the generally implied mundane theme of Animal Kingdom.

So you're saying it's okay for Universal to sometimes stray from their usual film-based attraction to make something original but Disney can't stray from their usual original concepts for a film-based attraction? Seems you're okay to bend the rules of tradition for Universal but not Disney...

Now that I'm home from work and have fed myself, I'll give my final thoughts.

I think the property is terrific for DAK, and is just what the resort needs. A big name franchise that will get people over the age of 10 excited. When I first saw the announcement I was amazingly surprised, in a good way. Can't say that about most of the things announced in the past few years. Also, I think it fits in very well with DAK.

That being said, we know almost nothing about what the project will entail, and I can't get overly excited about that.

I also can't let Disney off the hook for the maintenance over the last few years. It needs to improve along with adding things.

And while FLE isn't a response to Potter, this definitely is. Ceding control to a creator of a popular franchise and funding a lot of money to it (which they refused with Potter) obviously shows that they realize a mistake that they made.

That being said, we really are the winners here. A respected source on another site said USF's new E-ticket(presumably Transformers) and WWoHP 2.0 will be open by the time this opens. We're getting a lot of presents here. Everyone should be happy.

WOW! Amazing and shocking news! Still kinda speechless and mind-blown over this announcement. I thought for sure Uni was getting Avatar; obviously mistaken. This is cleary retaliation for Potter. Uni stole Potter, and made it into one of the greastest theme park additions of all-time. That must have left a sour taste in Disney's mouth. But back to topic: UNBELIEVABLE!

Say what you want about Avatar as a movie, but Avatar as a land is going to be breath-taking. I think the Potter movies are horrible, but there's no denying the beauty of the WWOHP. This is awesome!

all I can say is wow... Go Disney! Glad to see they are will to look outside the Mouse House for there theme park items. It really just not brings a lot of off topic questions about Universal now, but hey I'm glad DAK is getting some love. So seeing how you know they will find a way to bring in Mickey.. how do you think they will do it? I really don't see a Blue Mickey coming to the parks.

I think those who account me for being biased towards Universal should reread what I said.

I said that based on the originality that Disney has provided in the past and its success from it, WDI should focus on that which has proven to be most successful. I also said that its theme was not congruent to that of Animal Kingdom. I am not happy that Disney has decided to place this here, I think that's what has come through mostly. In the end, I can do nothing and obviously I understand. I'm just stating that I feel as if Disney should keep its knack for originality and organization within their parks without the need for multiple uses of characters or other stories.

Hol . . . ly . . . crap. I did not see this coming. I am just. I am just . . . what!? First of all, the placement for this: AMAZING! You have mythical creatures (the reason AK was built), environment conservation (AK's motto), and a park that doesn't have anything. Winner, winner! Okay, I exagerated a little with the whole "AK doesn't have anything" thing, but really, it kinda doesn't. Secondly, I thought Avatar was a pretty good movie, and a spectacular experience. It was beautiful and captivating. Whether the story line had a similar affect on the public is neither here nor there. Thirdly, $400 million? This is going to be impressive.

Okay, now to get past all my excited babbling. I have recently stated that I dispise the idea of Disney making a land solely themed to one movie (or franchise). I still stand by that point of view, but I am very, very excited about this expansion anyway. Call me a hypocrite, but that's just the way I'm thinking at the moment. Also, Potter was a kick in the rear for Disney. I don't know if everything is a "response to potter" (oh, how I hate that phrase) and there's no way we'll ever find out how WWoHP truly affected WDI.

Beastly kingdom. Mythical creatures. According to J Hill, the reason AK was even built in the first place. Unfortunately, higher ups said "no go on the epicosity" and it was scrapped. IOA was announced and Disney began to pull out all the stocks, bringing up plans from the past and thinking up new and exciting ones (beastly kingdom, a fire mountain roller coaster that went from a sit down to a suspended ride, etc). Long story short, IOA didn't have good attendence, wasn't considered a threat, WDI backed down and didn't add anything, and it was discovered that Uni had used Beastly Kingdom's selling point: a dragon coaster. BK is dead. It won't be revived. I think Pandora is the next best thing.

I probably forgot to say some stuff, but I'll be checking this thread every couple of hours until I'm at AK for the opening day of Pandora, so it's not like I won't get another chance to ramble. :lol:

I think those who account me for being biased towards Universal should reread what I said.

I said that based on the originality that Disney has provided in the past and its success from it, WDI should focus on that which has proven to be most successful. I also said that its theme was not congruent to that of Animal Kingdom. I am not happy that Disney has decided to place this here, I think that's what has come through mostly. In the end, I can do nothing and obviously I understand. I'm just stating that I feel as if Disney should keep its knack for originality and organization within their parks without the need for multiple uses of characters or other stories.

Ok, I get your point about originality so I can agree to disagree, but I have to wholeheartedly disagree on how you don't think the theme won't fit into Animal Kingdom....

I love it, its already starting. :lol:

"Universal is better than Disney because they never add anything major, where are the E-tickets.?"
Boom-400-600 Million dollar addition to AK.

"I don't like it because it wont work at AK"
How can you judge anything we have NO INFO ABOUT?

I love it, its already starting. :lol:

"Universal is better than Disney because they never add anything major, where are the E-tickets.?"
Boom-400-600 Million dollar addition to AK.

"I don't like it because it wont work at AK"
How can you judge anything we have NO INFO ABOUT?

Indeed. I was complaining that there was nothing exciting on the horizon. Now there is. Can't complain about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.