Jungle Cruise Refurb/Overhaul and Other News/Notes | Inside Universal Forums

Jungle Cruise Refurb/Overhaul and Other News/Notes

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

JungleSkip

V.I.P. Member
Feb 15, 2010
The Mushroom Kingdom
So, I reported about this on Parkscope the other day, and Screamscape passed it on as well, but more info is coming out about what could possibly be coming to the Jungle Cruise within the next year.

Basically I came across a notice of commencement detailing site work for the entire Jungle Cruise area. While talking with a fairly well connected member of the community, I found out some insane rumors that I had heard way back when I was a skipper may actually be coming true. So far all of this is far from confirmed.

-Extended ride path around the Swiss Family Tree house, adding about 5 minutes to the attraction
-New scenes for extended ride path
-Partially automated spiel. I have NO idea what this entails, and is the only thing I'm on the fence on about this.
-New queue
-Wheelchair loading dock

Now, to go on a bit about WDW. You all know me as pretty down on the current state of WDW. Some may call me a hater, while I look at myself as a realist. Well, the tide, in all honesty, may be turning in our favor.

Whispers have started that Uni's resurgence and WDW's stagnate ways have begun to worry the company. Many sources I trust are saying WDW is starting to look at doing "things out of the ordinary" for them, including the above project. I don't want people to take this for gospel, or to believe change is definitely coming...but it may be beginning to look up.

I would so welcome a huge overhaul. We probably have the worst Jungle Cruise out of all the resorts right now.

So, I reported about this on Parkscope the other day, and Screamscape passed it on as well, but more info is coming out about what could possibly be coming to the Jungle Cruise within the next year.

Basically I came across a notice of commencement detailing site work for the entire Jungle Cruise area. While talking with a fairly well connected member of the community, I found out some insane rumors that I had heard way back when I was a skipper may actually be coming true. So far all of this is far from confirmed.

-Extended ride path around the Swiss Family Tree house, adding about 5 minutes to the attraction
-New scenes for extended ride path
-Partially automated spiel. I have NO idea what this entails, and is the only thing I'm on the fence on about this.
-New queue
-Wheelchair loading dock

Now, to go on a bit about WDW. You all know me as pretty down on the current state of WDW. Some may call me a hater, while I look at myself as a realist. Well, the tide, in all honesty, may be turning in our favor.

Whispers have started that Uni's resurgence and WDW's stagnate ways have begun to worry the company. Many sources I trust are saying WDW is starting to look at doing "things out of the ordinary" for them, including the above project. I don't want people to take this for gospel, or to believe change is definitely coming...but it may be beginning to look up.

The ride could certainly use it. It was a mess when I experienced it last week... absolutely no climax like DLR or even HKDL has. The show scenes were very ratty and tired.

The ride could certainly use it. It was a mess when I experienced it last week... absolutely no climax like DLR or even HKDL has. The show scenes were very ratty and tired.

I have to disagree about the ratty/tired comment.

And it's not supposed to have a climax. Don't get me started on the dumb HKDL ending...

I have to disagree about the ratty/tired comment.

And it's not supposed to have a climax. Don't get me started on the dumb HKDL ending...

Ehh... I just wasn't a fan of how they were looking. I know they're supposed to be clunky and cheesy, it's part of the show, but apart from the elephants (which looked fantastic I'll admit) they just didn't seem to be working very well/any furred critter wasn't looking too clean (and not in the themed way).

The DLR version gets along with the piranha for the "climax" just fine, I thought it was executed wonderfully there. I don't know too much about the HKDL climax other than it's based around native Tiki fire/water gods and includes a pyro/water effect of some sort... but it did look pretty cool. I'd be perfectly happy with the piranhas coming to the Magic Kingdom though, it's a very fun effect...

All of this would be great, except for a partially automated spiel. Horrible idea.

The only way anything automated would be good would be if it was audio of a new sound system that included contact with 'base' Little bits that soudned like a 1930s Transmission to different outposts...but even then not sure how well that would pan out in atmosphere of being in the Jungles of the world.

I believe that the automated spiel would be similar to what is on Kilimanjaro Safari, where it is just radio transmissions warning that you are headed into danger. But with our luck it will be adding Timon and Pumba as our "guides".

But with our luck it will be adding Timon and Pumba as our "guides".

That way though, it would be more kid friendly!.....:look:

Anyway, this news makes me really happy. Hearing that WDW may finally step up to the plate and really become Disney World again is really exciting.

Imagine Walt Disney came back after all this Tranformer and Potter Expansion talk and said to Iger...

"I return to you now, at the turn of the tide."

I can't remember where I saw this, but weren't imagineers rooting for IOA to succeed in 1999 so they'd have an excuse for Eisner to OK their favorite "big-time" projects?

Imagine Walt Disney came back after all this Tranformer and Potter Expansion talk and said to Iger...

"I return to you now, at the turn of the tide."

I can't remember where I saw this, but weren't imagineers rooting for IOA to succeed in 1999 so they'd have an excuse for Eisner to OK their favorite "big-time" projects?

Yup. And then Universal did the moronic "Universal Escape" marketing and ruined it, before 9/11 killed it.

But yea, from the sound of things the heads have come out of the sand, and there's almost panic on the Orlando side of Disney.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than one imagineer reading this and other forums. If potter wasn't enough, SS44 must have rattled their cage a bit. While they feel little threat from Uni, the mind/pride thing can really mess with a group's head.

Well, the WWOHP got their attention. Not to mention a drop from consistent 80+% occupancy rates at the WDW resorts to a new consistent 60%. Then Unversal went for the jugular with a huge Value/Moderate resort. Then rubbing salt into the flesh wound with not one, not two, but 3 full blown E-Tix under construction at the same time. 2 of which are the boy who shall not be named in the halls of TDO. But here we can proudly say...POTTER!

If any of this really happens, then Disney will certainly have earned back my respect. I would love to see the park I grew up with come back to life.

Wow. I really hope this is true. JC is one of my favorites at the MK and 5 minutes added to it would be awesome. But as Jake said, I'll believe it when it starts. Skip, I really hope what you said at the end of your post is true. Hopefully WDW will get their act together and do things right.