Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Theme Park Artwork

Oct 27, 2009
Hey everyone, many theme park forums have a thread with user photography. I was thinking it would be cool for OU to have an artwork thread for users to post their ideas of expansions/envisioned parks, or just art of the existing parks. There is some definate talent on these boards, take violarum; who here can honestly say that they would pick Universal Creatives’ London over his? Not me, I personally felt we got spoilt with his conception of London and were let down with the actual product. He has also done much more conceptualizing over the years, wouldn't it be cool if Universal could browse these boards and see true talent and maybe implement some of the fans creativeness into their future projects? Even if it is just a simple paint drawing of how you would like to see the flow of a new JP path to go along the front of the discovery centre, here (along with a relevant thread of course) would be the place for ideas to go.

I thought I would kick it off with some of violarums work (with his permission)

1zdrngp.jpg

2ls1zk.jpg

29wlcwm.jpg

29zexoz.jpg

2itr5hw.jpg

Cool thread idea, I hope we can keep it going!
Here's some digital concept paintings I played around with for a Star Wars ride when Diseny bought Lucasfilm. Basically, in this part, you run across a sandcrawler and are imprisoned by the Jawa (who in the ride story are working for Jabba to find prisoners to fight the reincore for entertainment at one of his parties)

Here is an oil painting inspired by Fantasmic

Annd a old tribute to Journey Into Imagination.

Last edited:
Far out ChrisM! So good!! :rep: I'm loving the idea of that Jawa ride :smiley:

Here are two of my park concepts: Universal Studios India & Universal Movie Moments (UOR 3rd Gate)

8226698874_d297923103_h.jpg

12758164635_8a005e9304_h.jpg

Clockwise from bottom: Wonka St. (Tim Burtons: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), the Four Nations of the Avatar (nickelodeon's Aang/Korra), Bikini Bottom (SpongeBob), Far Far Away (Shrek 2-4), Hobbiton, Tomb Raider, Hill Valley 1885 (Back to the Future Part III), Lake-town (Middle Earth), New Metro (Star Trek/Dark Knight).

Thank you Descendo! I like your concepts as well, what program did you use to make them?

Also here's some more stuff I found.

Here's two watercolor pieces from when I was teaching myself to paint. I do not prefer watercolor, but at the time I was very in experienced to the different mediums. I don't consider these two all that great but I was (and of course, still am) learning. But I like them regardless.

First off, Sorcerer Mickey

Second, the Dueling Dragon statues, RIP :(

A Stay Puft Marshmallow Man mural I did for my buddy, inspired by Spooctacular.

A fiberglass Slimer which is hallow and has a green CFL in it. Done for a stage properties class. The hands are kinda crappy, but not bad for being done in three days. They are removable so one day I plan on making a new pair from fiberglass.

Here's a colored pencil drawing inspired by Fantasmic, done before the painting above.

And last, but certainly not least, the Haunted Mansion wallpaper done for a scene painting class. 4'x6'

Wow! keep them coming ChrisM! And everyone else of course!! You mention that you have done a stage property class; is doing things in the field of arts your profession? Did you draw Pyrock and Blizzrock on-site or did you use a reference image? Also thanks - for my concepts I used Autodesk Maya for modelling both USI and UMM, I then used an edge detection render pass for USI, but hand traced the outlines of UMM. Apart from the physical paintings, what software did you use yourself?

On a side note, Violarum please post more work, if you dont have anything else to post just biff an emoticon or whatever in the quick reply so people can give you some very well earned reputation!

Oh god, a lot of these are from WAYYYY back in the day, like that Cinderella Castle one. Haha!

I love the artwork thus far, y'all. It's wonderful!

And thanks to Descendo for being awesome. Absolutely. I'll try to start posting more stuff since I've got a couple Kong ideas I've been meaning to share.

wow now im anxious for this! lol

A big round of applause for all the members posting their work and a big pat on the back for starting this thread an incredible idea!

im thinking with all this talent and ideas we could start OU's own OU Creative team lol

some one please elaborate and put into design the elusive Gotham city that would be made in today's modern universal park just for the sake of dreaming :)

Last edited:
Oh god, a lot of these are from WAYYYY back in the day, like that Cinderella Castle one. Haha!

I love the artwork thus far, y'all. It's wonderful!

And thanks to Descendo for being awesome. Absolutely. I'll try to start posting more stuff since I've got a couple Kong ideas I've been meaning to share.

Sweet! Bring on the Kongcepts! Just try not to show up UC okay? :p

Wow, there's some fantastic work in here! Viola, your style is so wonderfully detailed - it looks intriguing and is full of little bits to discover. Chris, that Star Wars ride looks incredible! Great art.

I feel embarrassed to post given the quality in here, but I've just started out trying to teach myself so feel kind of proud of this even though it's not up to the standard of you guys!

13065134983_c7e9c425ce_c.jpg

Just a quick attempt at something a bit detailed. Inspired by the tower next to the bridge in Port of Entry.

I have never been to IOA so I had to Google street-view to see a comparison and I must say that's very nice!! You've just started teaching yourself? Of course you should be proud :smiley: What does the 0058 mean?

Keep the artwork coming guys, I am really impressed with these posts!

So Violarum, these Kongcepts you've been meaning to share...?

^ Thanks! :D Yeah, I love designing parks and rides but don't have the time for RCT3 or NoLimits any more, so figured I'd try this. I've always been meaning to learn properly anyway.

The 58 is nothing exciting; I was working from a photo from a trip a couple of years ago and it's a reference to the filename!

^ Thanks! :D Yeah, I love designing parks and rides but don't have the time for RCT3 or NoLimits any more, so figured I'd try this. I've always been meaning to learn properly anyway.

The 58 is nothing exciting; I was working from a photo from a trip a couple of years ago and it's a reference to the filename!

Okay so no Enigma machine needed to decode the 58. RCT3 is truly amazing eh; it is so good for visualizing ride ideas and parks then being able to POV it, I hope everyone on these forums has had the opportunity to play it. Random RCT3 fact: you know the tilt coaster?- Turns out one actually exists, there is only one in the world, Gravity Max, built by Vekoma at Discovery World located in Taiwan.

grav-max-close.jpg

batsmouth, macfr3ak and neoshinok thanks for the kind words to the contributors of this thread! That is one of the things about the internet, generally on forums, members are just unknown people behind a keyboard, you never know how much a bit of love and appreciation can mean to someone :thumbs:

I have a lot of stuff from the parks, but it's going in my future study so it's not out on display yet. In fact, Viola's Diagon Alley is going to get framed and hung up in there.

I have a lot of stuff from the parks, but it's going in my future study so it's not out on display yet. In fact, Viola's Diagon Alley is going to get framed and hung up in there.

Which one of Viola's Diagon Alley do you mean? His original envision or the rendition of UC's one with Wyndham and Grimmauld etc? Both are frame worthy :thumbs:. Here's hoping that Uni has seen the latter, it could seriously be the artwork for an enlargement window on the USF park map.

Keep in mind to save some space in your study for Viola's Kong :sneaky:. Also maybe he might take Macfr3ak up on his/her offer to see what Universal could make with Gotham? There are concepts for IoA but they were SOO '97 Universal, I would like to see what Viola thinks 2014 Uni is capable with Gotham :wave:

Wow, I just saw that the thread has over a thousand views!! Here is some non-painting theme park artwork I have found on the forums:

Lego Hogsmeade/Leaky Cauldron by Magistra

Lego_Hogsmeade.jpg

Lego_Leaky-Cauldron.jpg

A model of Hogwarts Castle by 666ParkAve

4def49e5-9f61-44fd-bd1e-5aa390974091_zpsfb1872b3.jpg

510b84b4-689c-433d-b9fc-b37d0ef32089_zpsc8d3d4bb.jpg

These are amazing guys! I can only imagine the amount of time that was input to these projects.

If anyone has any artwork to post or has seen user theme park artwork on the forums that I have missed, don't hesitate to post it here :smiley:

I am surprised with the amount of talent here on the little ol' OU forums considering the small amount of fan-made theme park artwork there seems to be on the rest of the internet (however I may have just not been searching hard enough).

One site that has amazing fan-made concept artwork is Ideal Build-Out blogspot. Even though I don't think S.W. Wilson is a member here at OU, he or she has posted some amazing concepts in relation to the Orlando parks. For example, take IoA; Wilson has done a couple of posts on the park. One IoA concept was an alternative pre-Potter expansion/alteration to IoA in the scenario that Uni had not managed to get the rights to HP. Another IoA post was IoA West (one of my personal favourites) which is a concept of how the best of UOR could be incorporated with new ideas to create a 2nd gate for Universal Hollywood. Most of his/her concepts are flat top elevations of the parks but there is still a lot of detail about the envision in the drawings, aided by reference pictures to help convey atmospheric aims.

I would really recommend checking out the blogspot, below are links to the two IoA posts I mentioned above, make sure to check out the other amazing concept artwork for other parks.

http://idealbuildout.blogspot.co.nz/2012/07/ioa-west.html

http://idealbuildout.blogspot.co.nz/2013/02/universal-islands-of-adventure.html

I found these when researching China’s Hollywood- Hengdian World Studios. I know I am once again straying from the foundation of this thread being for member theme park artwork, but I thought it was worth a share. I had heard the name of Goddard group mentioned around the internet but I didn’t realize how many project conceptions they were behind. Unfortunately, not many of their park projects were realized within the US. They do have a few projects that went ahead in the East though.

I’d highly recommend checking out the Goddard Group Facebook page as they have cool facts about projects that they worked on. For example, did you know that Jurassic Park: The Ride was designed 2 years before the film was released? Some of the scenes in the film even had concept art for the ride on the walls! They also have cool things like concept mockups for the original Kongfrontation.

As you will also see on their page, they have an artist spotlight series. I am unclear whether or not all the artists featured in this section are associated with Goddard, but nevertheless, there is some very nice artwork there. Check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/goddardgroup?sk=photos_stream

A few of my favourites:

1078795_10151721006424333_444622549_o.jpg

1025411_10151769728924333_2068955526_o.jpg

67836_10151254090344333_697447032_n.jpg

906445_10151502011234333_1822518740_o.jpg

1890332_10152137965509333_1629466231_o.jpg

425300_10150581169874333_190690883_n.jpg

550768_10150960050924333_1997039880_n.jpg

884451_10151458520989333_1152937086_o.jpg

981823_10151566256234333_1810287116_o.jpg

1939433_10152243243204333_1292202432_o.jpg

963916_10151951665544333_1540717190_o.jpg

1553412_10152133170189333_311901189_o.jpg

1926023_10152200245484333_890183560_o.jpg

40554_420206134332_926501_n.jpg

tumblr_lburqdKQeq1qb0oiko1_1280.jpg

Okay I know that was a lot but the page is just full of awesome. I found it interesting how they initially depicted some of the rides at IoA- are they associated with UC? If anyone is reading this thread, make sure you head back to page 1 to see some OU member artwork.