Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

If they are really going for something fantasyland-like, then my choice would be all of the northwest corner of US including KZ.

I will never be sold on this Nintendo thing. There's nothing grand American classic about it IMO.
I can't get hyped by it either Teebin. But I think it's more a generational thing. The OU members that are younger then us, seem very enthused & excited, so I'm happy for them. They've been talking about it for years & it's like a dream come true. If that same interest is shared by the general public, it will be very successful.

See, that is my problem... it holds at best 2 decades of nostalgia while Disney's IPs span nearly 100 years! Disney's stuff is nostalgic to 2yos - 102yos.
This may be the only time ;)I ever disagree with you. "Most" of Disney's prominent new IP's, Avatar, Star Wars, Pixar subjects, Indiana Jones,Marvel are basically in that same time frame as Nintendo.

Thanks for the info on the survey! Sounds like some of it matches up with what I've heard.

I've been hearing this turn of phrase for about 5 years now.

A Nintendo version of Fantasyland at the same level of themed immersion as WWoHP? Bully! :thumbsup:

Fantasyland is thinking too small, TBH. The plans...they are grand.

They're treating this right. No waiting for the second chance like they did with Hogsmeade/Diagon

I will never be sold on this Nintendo thing. There's nothing grand American classic about it IMO.

Well it's Japanese. So... :tongue:

See, that is my problem... it holds at best 2 decades of nostalgia while Disney's IPs span nearly 100 years! Disney's stuff is nostalgic to 2yos - 102yos.

I'm 27, my dad got me into Nintendo more ore less 24 years ago. I've introduced these characters to my sister, little cousins, etc. I think it's got at least 3 generations right now, which is frankly about the same thing we can say about Harry Potter.

This may be the only time ;)I ever disagree with you. "Most" of Disney's prominent new IP's, Avatar, Star Wars, Pixar subjects, Indiana Jones,Marvel are basically in that same time frame as Nintendo.

Oh yes... I agree, but it is backed by a ton of history. FL is peter pan, cinderella, mickey, pooh, dumbo and the parents and grand parents are just as thrilled to see cinderella and snow white in a Meet and Greet as their puppies are by the latest and greatest.

So, it isn't really a disagreement as I am sure you will agree that there is more to it.

Oh yes... I agree, but it is backed by a ton of history. FL is peter pan, cinderella, mickey, pooh, dumbo and the parents and grand parents are just as thrilled to see cinderella and snow white in a Meet and Greet as their puppies are by the latest and greatest.

So, it isn't really a disagreement as I am sure you will agree that there is more to it.
I'll agree to that part.:)

I don't really feel any real nostalgia concerning Disney stuff, when I think of Mickey Mouse, I think of kid's stuff, old cartoon stuff ... it does not make me feel any different than Toon Lagoon in IOA. Fairytales ... now that is a little different, but I only like them as stories, and not necessarily the way Disney has used the stories.

As for Nintendo, I am 36 (well, will be next month lol) and when I was 12 bought the original 8-bit Nintendo. Two years ago my daughter (9 then) got into gaming because of an emulator I had that played the old Nintendo games, her favorite though was Zelda series Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64, she played it on an emulator). So basically, retro games is what got her into games.

I don't think it is an age thing, it is just whether or not one is into games, though of course older people did not grow up with games so there will be no nostalgia. And of course not everyone is into games, but then not everyone is into Harry Potter either, so it does not matter that much. There is one thing I will say though, the nostalgia factor of games is often greater than that of movies, for the simple reason that much more time and effort goes into games and your mind has a greater involvement with them.

Nintendo > Fantasyland. Half of the new Fantasyland are films from the 90's (well, 89' and 91. I'm taking the mean) and one of the main attractions (Voyage) is borrowed from DLR, while Dueling Dumbos robbed itself of its best offering: an amazing 360 view of Fantasyland. So you're left with Boring Tales with Bell and Mine Coaster (which I have yet to ride). Adding to it the butterbeer wannabe "Lefou's Brew," and I think it's safe to say that Universal's answer to Fantasyland is going to be mighty. Considering Mario is to video games what Mickey is to animation, much of the Nintendo characters will become just as enduring. Ask even the most clueless who Mario is and they will know. They might not know Master Chief, they may not know Lara Croft, but they almost certainly know Mario. Right move, Universal. You'd think with Disney's cooperation with Nintendo in Wreck It Ralph, that they might have seen an opportunity there regarding its parks, but hey...snooze ya looze.

I got it when I heard people at work talking about it. Not during a theme park conversation, but just sharing it as major headline news.

Glad you were able to take the survey. Those things really show much thought and preparation goes into the development of these attractions.

I'm just shy of 40. I was four years old when Donkey Kong came out and nine when Super Mario Bros came out. Huge nostalgia there for my generation. There's no argument: three generations of timelessness there.

When Disneyland opened Snow White wasn't even 20 years old, how's that for nostalgia? ;)

Yes, and it remains a tour de force of cinema to this day, much like Gone With The Wind and Jurassic Park and Citizen Kane. It was immediately historic and ground breaking.

Teebin, let me put it to you this way. Nintendo is the "Disney" of video games. Just stop doubting. Trust us. Its huge.

Get back to me in 10 years. :wave:

"I don't think it is an age thing, it is just whether or not one is into games, though of course older people did not grow up with games so there will be no nostalgia.

I'm almost 50, you would probably consider me an old fart. But I gamed all my life starting with Atari and now very happy with my PS4 ("plowing" my way trough Witcher 3 and loving it). That said I never was into Nintendo games but I'm looking forward to Nintendo Land in the park. It has historical relevance and in the announcement it said the attractions would be interactive and I'm sure the''ll have gaming ellements in there and I love that. Bring it on!

Last edited by a moderator: