Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 462 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I am a little confused about the drivers. Are the animatronic drivers simply the drivers? Or do they actually pretend to be the 5 different characters? I thought there would be an animatronic driver as well as an actual Team Member playing each different character, just like in The Great Movie Ride at Disney...

There are 5 different faces, voices, costumes etc. But if they fog up the windows any more, it might as well be Barney the Dinosaur driving.

But it's still fun to discuss all the little issues that come up. Fun fun fun if not hilarious. :)

Oh totally! But most of us know that today's issue can be days or weeks old with a plan of action already in place. We can go from leaky pneumatics to a fully functional attraction in days, but someone who hasn't dealt with construction or assembly might not understand this is all par for the corse.

Reactions: Mike S and Ryno27
I am a little confused about the drivers. Are the animatronic drivers simply the drivers? Or do they actually pretend to be the 5 different characters? I thought there would be an animatronic driver as well as an actual Team Member playing each different character, just like in The Great Movie Ride at Disney...

Thats what I thought it was going to be like. I miss that about Jaws. Each actor brought their own flair to the ride and it made it way more personal. I am really disappointed to hear that its not like that

If I'm correct, the original plan way, way back (2013-ish) was to have live spielers. My guess is one of three:

1) Either the way they engineered the RV made it impossible for room that a TM could be placed in, sitting or otherwise or...
2) Universal figured that eventually they may have to slash the budget down the road, and this is an attraction that already has actors in the queue-line.
3) Mike West thought having an AA driver was a really cool concept.

I don't want to be cynical and say that they were too nervous to go the live actor route since that could drastically make the ride experience inconsistent... and I don't want to say that, like the trackless, they just did it because they can. What does baffle me generally is that Jaws was so insanely popular, I mean dear god check out TPR's videos from when it closed in 2012. Millions upon millions of views, and a lion's share of the reason for that is the skippers. They were sitting on a retro goldmine and actively chose not to go that route. Disappointing.

Reactions: Ryno27 and Mike S
Call me crazy but I like the fact it has no speilers. Not only would it be a nightmare to have many actors learn 5 different scripts + wardrobe. But I always found the skippers to be insanely annoying and end up turning the ride and atmosphere into the "look at me" show. That and you're looking at the back of their head the entire time so there's no point. I'm definitely happy with the AAs, not only because they have cool tech but it's more AAs at universal!!! Win win

Reactions: Ryno27
It could be that the ride would toss live spielers around too much. I know that Kilimanjaro Safari drivers have commonly had back problems, and I think Reign of Kong would be throwing people around even more.

In that case, Studio Tour guides at USH should need chiropractors for life. Nowadays they have to endure three motion bases every single tour! One of which is a duplicate of Reign of Kong's 360 scene, which of course is the only portion of the ride to encounter simulated motion. They do sit during almost the entire tour in a space just behind the driver, so it could have been an option.

(not to mention the original Kongfrontation had the actor standing even during that small freefall, yikes!)

Reactions: Mike S
If I'm correct, the original plan way, way back (2013-ish) was to have live spielers. My guess is one of three:

1) Either the way they engineered the RV made it impossible for room that a TM could be placed in, sitting or otherwise or...
2) Universal figured that eventually they may have to slash the budget down the road, and this is an attraction that already has actors in the queue-line.
3) Mike West thought having an AA driver was a really cool concept.

I don't want to be cynical and say that they were too nervous to go the live actor route since that could drastically make the ride experience inconsistent... and I don't want to say that, like the trackless, they just did it because they can. What does baffle me generally is that Jaws was so insanely popular, I mean dear god check out TPR's videos from when it closed in 2012. Millions upon millions of views, and a lion's share of the reason for that is the skippers. They were sitting on a retro goldmine and actively chose not to go that route. Disappointing.

Lets not forget that going for the AA route makes for a more consistent great experience for guests. I know everyone is romantic about the Jaws days, but no one here can possibly say that the tour guides were 100% all the time.

In that case, Studio Tour guides at USH should need chiropractors for life. Nowadays they have to endure three motion bases every single tour! One of which is a duplicate of Reign of Kong's 360 scene, which of course is the only portion of the ride to encounter simulated motion. They do sit during almost the entire tour in a space just behind the driver, so it could have been an option.

(not to mention the original Kongfrontation had the actor standing even during that small freefall, yikes!)

I think two motion bases every 5-6 minutes is more time than three motion bases every 30-45 minutes.

I was a Jaws skipper awhile ago (and Jungle Cruise skipper briefly in my high school years). Trust me, I received bruises on my hip from banging into the rail on my side many a time during the fire scene when the boat gets tussled. Wanted to do a good show, and apparently being tossed around like a rag doll makes for good entertainment.

I also have done Kongfrontation a few times when they needed team members to fill in, and I would literally get bruises on my hands pretending to hit the button to stop the tram over and over. Again, wanted to put on a good show, at the cost of my limbs and hips.

For whatever reason, it seems Universal has moved completely away from spielers. No more Jaws, Kongfrontation, Disaster (spielers and entertainment). I think the fact that they get paid a little more has something to do with it, but more than likely, you save a lot of money by not having the position at all.

And of course consistency between shows has got to be a big part of it. I have had Kongfrontation and Jaws spielers that gave such a boring, dull, sad performance that it has ruined my entire visit, especially after waiting an hour to get on. If you're having a bad day, not feeling well (or just suck at your job) it can really put a damper on the show for everyone, especially if it's their first time riding.

I was a Jaws skipper awhile ago (and Jungle Cruise skipper briefly in my high school years). Trust me, I received bruises on my hip from banging into the rail on my side many a time during the fire scene when the boat gets tussled. Wanted to do a good show, and apparently being tossed around like a rag doll makes for good entertainment.

I also have done Kongfrontation a few times when they needed team members to fill in, and I would literally get bruises on my hands pretending to hit the button to stop the tram over and over. Again, wanted to put on a good show, at the cost of my limbs and hips.

For whatever reason, it seems Universal has moved completely away from spielers. No more Jaws, Kongfrontation, Disaster (spielers and entertainment). I think the fact that they get paid a little more has something to do with it, but more than likely, you save a lot of money by not having the position at all.

And of course consistency between shows has got to be a big part of it. I have had Kongfrontation and Jaws spielers that gave such a boring, dull, sad performance that it has ruined my entire visit, especially after waiting an hour to get on. If you're having a bad day, not feeling well (or just suck at your job) it can really put a damper on the show for everyone, especially if it's their first time riding.

First disneyland ride on jungle cruise hubby and son had a great captain. I was chillin' with a napping toddler. By the time we made it back to the park they had changed shifts. We had a boring lady captain. I swear she was reading a script word for monotone word.
Yeah inconsistant spielers can be a bummer

I agree with you on the inconsistency of the spielers. They can make or break the attraction. And perhaps that's the key reason. The first time I was at Poseidon's Fury I had a terrible spieler and subsequently thought the attraction sucked. I gave it another try the next year, had an excellent spieler, and thoroughly enjoyed the attraction. I now go once every vacation, and all the subsequent spielers have been pretty good. Universal has been adding so much entertainment throughout the resort, opposite of Disney's entertainment contraction, that I don't know if I would agree with the idea of spieler & entertainment as primarily a cost thing. They can do this high tech stuff better than they could in the 90's.