Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 460 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Ahh ok I can breathe now. It's the driver AA, not Kong in case anyone is wondering. Yes, that's awesome.
I was wondering what Kong looked like when it talked, glad that's not what the tweet meant... But having the driver tell people to sit down is like the most amazing AI I've ever seen in a theme park attraction! Take that Gringotts bank tellers that look at you!

(Unless of course it requires a human operator in control room to see someone stand up on surveillance and press a button that triggers the response from the AA in the car. Which is still cool, but not the awesome AI I'm imagining.)

So, question for you all, from someone with very little experience in theme parks.

Isn't it normal for things to go wrong, for kinks to be worked out during softs? Isn't that why the actual term is "technical rehearsals"? Should we be concerned about all these issues with Kong or not? I mean, they'll get them fixed, correct? I'm just hoping that by early August when I go that the ride is running completely smooth.

Reactions: Mike S and Ryno27
So, question for you all, from someone with very little experience in theme parks.

Isn't it normal for things to go wrong, for kinks to be worked out during softs? Isn't that why the actual term is "technical rehearsals"? Should we be concerned about all these issues with Kong or not? I mean, they'll get them fixed, correct? I'm just hoping that by early August when I go that the ride is running completely smooth.

It's a stress test. It's totally normal and fine.

Yes, totally normal. Especially for new tech Universal has never worked with.

The car is heavier than they were planning with all the decor in place, and they will make corrections where needed to the automatic door hinges, airbag motion platforms, etc to accommodate for it.

Apparently they were having issues locating cars when multiple were on the ride, so they added a gagillion antennas and detectors throughout (which aren't really noticeable unless you look for them btw.) And that seemed to fix the issues.

And they will continue to find small bugs and squash. That's what this period of technical rehearsals are for.

I mean this isn't "cars are going too fast and flying off the track" Test Track issues we're talking about that will it delay for half a year... They're minor modifications meant for a more smooth operation and the ability to handle more guests per hour.

They'll get it worked out.

"All major theme parks have delays. When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked."

Yes.

Internally they were hoping to have the ride operating for trial runs with guests earlier, but this was still all built into the plans. When things are bad you know it. For instance, if say the entire operating staff was laid off and the ride sat behind walls dormant with no testing, that's bad. That's Test Track bad, which was two years delayed.

People do often cite the original Jaws, but that's back from 1990 and there were many issues not only with untested tech, but water (ridiculously difficult to maintain) and a still relatively unproven design firm (UC) clashing heads with a proven design firm (Ride & Show), and the notorious lack of time they had to partake on this testing. Not to mention they were creatively attempting some pretty impossible stuff for the time, such as an AA physically interacting with a moving vehicle. The sheer amount of cooks in the pot and lack of budget meant the ride had to be rebuilt from scratch. However pieces of the attraction, such as the boats and ride system, contrary to popular belief were operational. They actually shipped them over to Las Vegas to be used in the short-lived MGM Grand Adventures theme park. There's absolutely no comparison between then and now. Everything right now is just peanuts compared to that.

Or what Joe said: just a stress test. No biggie.