Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 219 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cameron is due an EPIC flop. Avatar stinks of dead IP.
I wouldn't be so sure. Much like SW and HP, I think it will one day be an IP that will never die. It's already starting to pick up steam with the Cirque du Soleil show and Taipei expedition.
Plenty of studios and companies have thrown tons of money at things, expecting greatness, or "no fail" possibilities....with them crumbling down as a disappointment regardless. Scouting in the nfl is an art, people have been doing it for centuries, however.....first round picks bust every year. The Aaron Curry effect lol.

I honestly think Avatar got lucky to "start off" the Imax 3D era of movies, and was such a gorgeous spectacle that it had droves of people to see the show. However, with the lack of anything recently, and EVERYONE doing imax and 3D now....it has a huge possibility of being a money making disaster.

Regardless....if its a beautiful land at theme park? Ill still go and enjoy it, no matter how good the movie is or the BO success.
If AVATAR, as it is, was released today, it wouldn't do half as good as it did in 2009-2010. AVATAR (2009) doesn't represent a winning formula for filmmaking by any stretch of the imagination, but if you think Fox and Cameron don't understand this, you're kidding yourself. Hence, why they've gone for a totally different approach with the sequels than they did with the first film. Not quite sure what picks in the NFL has anything to do with movie franchises. What studio has signed to invest a good $700 million in a franchise, at least, for the whole thing to fail in a miserable abyss? I'll be waiting.

Last edited:
So what do you think about the SCREENZ on Pandora?:lol: It's so Disneylike. You'd think their new E ticket ride would have massive AA's on the ride, instead of the queue, like that nasty competitor Universal does. :ears:...;)

Well at least the Screens will move somewhat...

Last edited:
Reactions: twebber55
I definitely know it's not off the shelf. It's been said more than a few times it's a custom design.

But that aside, Disney never does anything straight off the shelf. They aren't even doing the Slinky Coaster off the shelf, and that's about as tacky (and potentially as underwhelming?) as a theme park will get.
Roxk N Rollercoaster is literally an off the shelf ride, Disney just put in a box, added blacklight posters and deleted 300 ft of track. There's two other identical ones, just outside, in Europe.

Seriously bro, pixie-dust much? You have ZERO information to base that on, that's nothing but wishful thinking spoken as fact.
Well, technically, "best" is a matter of opinion, in this case. But, one thing is certain, it is Disney's most advanced AA by far. Cameron has stated that the Avatar AAs will have 64 axis of motion in the face alone (which is multiples of what anybody has done previously), and is in fact more than the human face, which has 48 axis.

Well, technically, "best" is a matter of opinion, in this case. But, one thing is certain, it is Disney's most advanced AA by far. Cameron has stated that the Avatar AAs will have 64 axis of motion in the face alone (which is multiples of what anybody has done previously), and is in fact more than the human face, which has 48 axis.
Sounds like 64X more down time to me :lol:

Seriously bro, pixie-dust much? You have ZERO information to base that on, that's nothing but wishful thinking spoken as fact.

Actually an insider on here has been stating that this land is going to be very good along with the AA. So there is a lot of information out there saying how great many things in this land are.

One can complain about the 1B they are spending, how long this has all taken, or how the IP sucks. But one thing many insiders agree on is how great the two rides and the land itself are going to be.

I am even starting to question the how long, because the reason it seems to be taking so long is how early they announced it. Which Disney was forced to announce it early. Kind of how Universal was forced to announce Nintendo so early and construction hasn't started on that. So Nintendo is going to be another one that seems to drag on forever until it opens.

But I give you the 1B price tag is not worth it and the IP is not a good choice of IP. Those were both very poor decisions by Disney. But until this land opens, I am waiting to judge the final outcome.

id be more to get into a conversation with people if we knew for a fact that it cost 1 billion, the fact is we dont know its all rumor and until its proven for me at least there is no point to get into what otherwise has been pretty good dialogue lately

Reactions: DoubleJ
Yes, but that's still subjective opinion, not fact.

I agree, but it is from someone that is normally VERY critical of Disney. So I take it more seriously than someone who normally is positive of Disney. My issue with your original comment was you called them a pixie duster. I think in this situation and insiders rumbling on a positive side you can't call someone a pixie snorter or anything else for reporting an AA may be the best one Disney has right now. Because honestly it SHOULD be the best one Disney has because it is going to be brand new and use the latest tech.

I agree, but it is from someone that is normally VERY critical of Disney. So I take it more seriously than someone who normally is positive of Disney. My issue with your original comment was you called them a pixie duster. I think in this situation and insiders rumbling on a positive side you can't call someone a pixie snorter or anything else for reporting an AA may be the best one Disney has right now. Because honestly it SHOULD be the best one Disney has because it is going to be brand new and use the latest tech.

So 'New = Best' for everything?

I can't subscribe to that personally, as there's too much personal opinion involved. You can say that it might be the most technologically accomplished AA they've made (which would be a fact), but some people will prefer Disney's older AA's for different reasons (those are opinions). There is never any 'best' really, is the point I was trying to make.

Reactions: Joel
So 'New = Best' for everything?

I can't subscribe to that personally, as there's too much personal opinion involved. You can say that it might be the most technologically accomplished AA they've made (which would be a fact), but some people will prefer Disney's older AA's for different reasons (those are opinions). There is never any 'best' really, is the point I was trying to make.

It is an odd point to make. Because when this opens there will be people who in their eyes think it is the best. So isn't there really a best for each person? And again I go back to how does that make one a pixie duster?

I said it should be the best since many of their AA are using older techs and this one will be using the newer tech. New does not always equal best, but in this case it should be the best Disney has done based on the tech they will be using. Just like the boat ride should give a better experience using the new tech where they can control the speed, do stops, turns, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.