Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 218 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i guess my question is why is avatar the only project i ve ever seen where people are so concerned about the profits?
honest question not being snarky
I think the main reason it is brought up is in comparison to the project it is designed to compete against (Potter). Potter is such a merchandising and food and beverage powerhouse. And the thought that Disney may be expecting Potter-like results.

I think the main reason it is brought up is in comparison to the project it is designed to compete against (Potter). Potter is such a merchandising and food and beverage powerhouse. And the thought that Disney may be expecting Potter-like results.
The incessant talk about profits though is getting tiring. I feel like I can't come into this thread anymore without reading some sort of back and forth about how how the land cost $1Bn and it'll never make back the money and that Food/Bev/Merch sales will pale in comparison to Potter. I mean, it's fine to say it once in awhile, but that's all anybody ever talks about with this project and it's just such a tiring conversation (for both sides I imagine).

Last edited:
i agree these types of projects are long overdue but doesnt this and Star wars improve WDW
DAK is or at least will be better than it is right now when this and ROL open

I agree that it improves the park as we finally have a reason to see this park open into the evening hours.

The profits come into play because of how over budget this is turning out to be. The fact that we already have seen cuts at TSL makes the case that Disney is simply going to skimp on other expansions (even those already announced/in the worksbecause of Avatar). It may also speak to the future of the resort as they could use Avatar's failure as an excuse to not add any expansions post what has already been announced.

It is also interesting to note that SWL is a joint project between DL and WDW and, since WDW did not want to pony up the dough, it was cut from three attractions to two. Apparently this rather ticked off DL. This begs the question, could we see some expansion at DL's version of SWL that never makes it to WDW? Would WDW's justification be that they built Avatarland which DL does not have so why should they further invest?

Reactions: Mad Dog
I agree that it improves the park as we finally have a reason to see this park open into the evening hours.

The profits come into play because of how over budget this is turning out to be. The fact that we already have seen cuts at TSL makes the case that Disney is simply going to skimp on other expansions (even those already announced/in the worksbecause of Avatar). It may also speak to the future of the resort as they could use Avatar's failure as an excuse to not add any expansions post what has already been announced.

It is also interesting to note that SWL is a joint project between DL and WDW and, since WDW did not want to pony up the dough, it was cut from three attractions to two. Apparently this rather ticked off DL. This begs the question, could we see some expansion at DL's version of SWL that never makes it to WDW? Would WDW's justification be that they built Avatarland which DL does not have so why should they further invest?
If memory serves the third attraction was going to circle the entire land. It is likely too late to add in such an attraction. All of this is why Disneyland divorced Disney World earlier this year. This frees them from Walt Disney World's penny-pinching policies.

Reactions: Mad Dog
The incessant talk about profits though is getting tiring though. I feel like I can't come into this thread anymore without reading some sort of back and forth about how how the land host $1Bn and it'll never make back the money and that Food/Bev/Merch sales will pale in comparison to Potter. I mean, it's fine to say it once in awhile, but that's all anybody ever talks about with this project and it's just such a tiring conversation (for both sides I imagine).

Hey, remember when we got on everyone about Screen talk.....?

Reactions: Joel

Additionally it's what Disney fans dying to have in "their corner" since Potter. Plus Disney has its own gloating as they "snatched" Avatar from Universal when UC told Cameron to take a hike. Same why the BOB FREAKIN IGER wrote a press release about getting NBA City in Disney Springs after they left CityWalk. I worry expectations are set too high and anything less will cause massive issues.

Reactions: Joel
One thing I'm betting on is that the sequel films will do amazingly well. As you may know, Cameron is filming the next 4 movies simultaneously. Obviously, Fox would NEVER approve such an endeavor if they didn't have absolute confidence that the films would do really well, and no doubt they'll milk this franchise for every drop it has. Anybody looking at the current state of the IP, to prejudge the land, doesn't have the foresight to see the IP's potential. It could very likely be as successful as MCU.

This is a long-term investment for Disney. Would Universal build the WWoHP after just the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone? I don't think so. Right now, you have 2 mega-corporations betting massively on this franchise. It's going to be big.

Food and merch could very well be introduced to the franchise in this land, then revealed in the successive films, or vice versa.

You might say, "We can't count on the unknown." I would counter: how can you not?

(I am still of the belief that the IP doesn't matter, but I wrote this post as an opposing view to those who believe it does)

One thing I'm betting on is that the sequel films will do amazingly well. As you may know, Cameron is filming the next 4 movies simultaneously. Obviously, Fox would NEVER approve such an endeavor if they didn't have absolute confidence that the films would do really well, and no doubt they'll milk this franchise for every drop it has. Anybody looking at the current state of the IP, to prejudge the land, doesn't have the foresight to see the IP's potential. It could very likely be as successful as MCU.

This is a long-term investment for Disney. Would Universal build the WWoHP after just the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone? I don't think so. Right now, you have 2 mega-corporations betting massively on this franchise. It's going to be big.

Food and merch could very well be introduced to the franchise in this land, then revealed in the successive films, or vice versa.

You might say, "We can't count on the unknown." I would counter: how can you not?

(I am still of the belief that the IP doesn't matter, but I wrote this post as an opposing view to those who believe it does)
Whoa! Id pump the brakes on that one.

Cameron is due an EPIC flop. Avatar stinks of dead IP.
I think Cameron is going to try and go full Star Wars with Avatar (if he ever gets around to making the movies) and he's going to fail massively.

None of that changes the land though. The land could be without the Avatar IP and would still look great and (I assume) have good rides.

Plenty of studios and companies have thrown tons of money at things, expecting greatness, or "no fail" possibilities....with them crumbling down as a disappointment regardless. Scouting in the nfl is an art, people have been doing it for centuries, however.....first round picks bust every year. The Aaron Curry effect lol.

I honestly think Avatar got lucky to "start off" the Imax 3D era of movies, and was such a gorgeous spectacle that it had droves of people to see the show. However, with the lack of anything recently, and EVERYONE doing imax and 3D now....it has a huge possibility of being a money making disaster.

Regardless....if its a beautiful land at theme park? Ill still go and enjoy it, no matter how good the movie is or the BO success.

So, does anyone know if the flying ride system is a vendors off the shelf design or did Disney build something custom? Perhaps a combo of the two?
I definitely know it's not off the shelf. It's been said more than a few times it's a custom design.

But that aside, Disney never does anything straight off the shelf. They aren't even doing the Slinky Coaster off the shelf, and that's about as tacky (and potentially as underwhelming?) as a theme park will get.

Reactions: rioriz
Status
Not open for further replies.