Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 217 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are crazy.

I for one cannot wait to buy a piece of Unobtanium* with a 'certificate of authenticity' from Disney World for $34.99+Tax.

*gravel

But, But - it is painted purple and silver like those fake rocks in Tomorrowland.

Don't be so quick to diss, it could be made of gold.;)

That's actually a really smart merchandise idea.. imagine something like this that is unobtanium and floats like it does on that boss-jerk's desk..

Magnetic Levitator Classic

uuyRug.jpg

Reactions: Porkchop
Just for the record, as we're all theme park fans I think we all want Pandora to be incredible. Just because Disney have thrown more dollar at it than Diagon Alley doesn't mean it will be better than it as it's entirely dependant on the IP that it relates to.

There is no doubt about it that Uni struck gold with HP, there is a story, people can relate to it, it allows the general public to fantasise and picture them in that world. For me nothing about Avatar strikes me as something that will change the theme park world for the better. My point is if I threw $1b at imagineers and told them to create an Anchorman land for example. Would it bring in some people? Probably a few mentalists yes. But would it be worth the outlay, not a chance.

Also, doubleJ, nothing personal aimed at you, appreciate you're passionate about it but there is a point where Dis are paying too much for the ROI they will get.
This is where we disagree. Also let me clarify, I'm a MASSIVE Potterhead. I've read each book at least 11 times (the last book 14) and have read each of JK Rowlings posts on Pottermore, so it's not like I'm biased toward Avatar. I think Avatar was a stunning movie, with very original storytelling (I don't consider themes part of a story), what I simply don't understand is why the land is being discarded as overpriced, unimportant, and weak, compared to a land half its size. The IP, at this point in time, is no doubt far weaker than Potter, but why should that mean that the two can't aggressively compete, not everything revolves around IP. Given that domestic ticket sales for Deathly Hallows Part 2 were $381 million, I think a lot of people overestimate the Potter brand, that compares to $760 million for Avatar, even Toy Story 3 did better with $415 million.

IMO, it's all about the delivery, the IP matters little.

Reactions: twebber55
I'm thinking most of the real merch will be from Avatar 2-6? 7? No idea how many more movies they're making at this point.

I'd be shocked if Disney didn't plant ideas for James Cameron to help make the next movies more merch-friendly. It's pretty rare for a theme park land to be developed before a franchise has really started to blossom.

This is where we disagree. Also let me clarify, I'm a MASSIVE Potterhead. I've read each book at least 11 times (the last book 14) and have read each of JK Rowlings posts on Pottermore, so it's not like I'm biased toward Avatar. I think Avatar was a stunning movie, with very original storytelling (I don't consider themes part of a story), what I simply don't understand is why the land is being discarded as overpriced, unimportant, and weak, compared to a land half its size. The IP, at this point in time, is no doubt far weaker than Potter, but why should that mean that the two can't aggressively compete, not everything revolves around IP. Given that domestic ticket sales for Deathly Hallows Part 2 were $381 million, I think a lot of people overestimate the Potter brand, that compares to $760 million for Avatar, even Toy Story 3 did better with $415 million.

IMO, it's all about the delivery, the IP matters little.

So what the hell are you arguing then? Why say the IP doesn't matter then show domestic box office receipts? Why talk about kids wanting to be Nav'i and it's Fox's fault for not puttin more merch out? What is your whole point besides you love the sound of your own voice?

(I love when Potter box office is brought up but book sales of Avatar and SW aren't....)

While I agree that the march options are limited, I really think they will have something along the lines of the potter wands with Avatar's deal where the tails link up. You buy a set of mouse ears or whatever with a special avatar tail that links up to special stations around the land. Want to see the tree light up, plug your tail in. And things like that. Theres probably some way to make it so you can link up to other people for certain effects(different link ups do different things). Theres probably a way to link it to your phone and an app for special benefits.(the new magic bands! lol) Theres quite a few things that could be done using the concept really. While not as appealing as Potter wands, there is merch potential there.

Reactions: Joel
So what the hell are you arguing then? Why say the IP doesn't matter then show domestic box office receipts? Why talk about kids wanting to be Nav'i and it's Fox's fault for not puttin more merch out? What is your whole point besides you love the sound of your own voice?

(I love when Potter box office is brought up but book sales of Avatar and SW aren't....)
Any successful, terrific IP won't save terrible execution (Little Mermaid), however great execution can most certainly save even the most terrible IP (Splash Mountain, Mummy, etc.). I point out the domestic box office receipts because some believe that the IP chosen for this land somehow dooms it to fail before it even gets out of the gate, further unlike books, box office sales will best represent public familiarity (a large percentage of those who've seen the movies, haven't read the books, this isn't the case for the reverse), further box office sales aren't subsidized by schools, libraries, etc. Do you really want me to compare SW and HP merchandise sales? (Hint: even including books, it's not pretty for the boy who lived). I never said kids wanted to be Na'vi, I said exactly the opposite.

who and the hell said that? i follow that site daily i ve never seen it
This is from DVCOwner:

How about making a prediction about something that is going to happen at Walt Disney World in the next 10 years. I have two:

1. Avatar is going to be such a big hit that Disney will start adding a third ride within a year of opening date.
2. Star Wars will be even bigger and Disney will be expanding Star Wars Land and making it twice the size as Phase I.

Well let me hear your Wild Prediction.
So not at the grand opening but shortly there after.

I hope Disney does well with Avatar and SW.. it will only mean more expansions.. actually wait, this is Disney so nvm

DISCLAIMER: I'm solidly HP/Universal leaning, although definitely enjoy trips to the mouse house on occasion (I like knowing what other people's feelings toward both companies are before evaluating opinions)

I hope Disney does well with Avatar and SW.. it will only mean more expansions.. actually wait, this is Disney so nvm

DISCLAIMER: I'm solidly HP/Universal leaning, although definitely enjoy trips to the mouse house on occasion (I like knowing what other people's feelings toward both companies are before evaluating opinions)
i like both
went to Universal this year and will go back to Disney in June of 2017
Both great experiences, i missed ROK by about a week, first time for DA though , loved it
im a big believer in this project because they havent cut corners.... we b.....and moan all the time about theme parks cutting corners so why not celebrate when they spend the money on the project?

I absolutely love Disneyland, but feel not much of anything for WDW. In fact, the only reason I go to WDW is when they open up a new attraction because I want to get on it before they let it break.

I go to Universal for HHN primarily and enjoy the parks as I like the minimal amount of planning I have to do.

All in all, I want Avatar to do well because I like the idea of the two resorts competing for attendance. The more they compete, the more we, as theme park fans, benefit.

Like most on here, I see Avatarland being wonderfully immersive, but doubt it will make huge profits. I see the main benefit to this being adding capacity to the park and hopefully enticing more people to spend their evenings at DAK.

Reactions: awhen
I absolutely love Disneyland, but feel not much of anything for WDW. In fact, the only reason I go to WDW is when they open up a new attraction because I want to get on it before they let it break.

I go to Universal for HHN primarily and enjoy the parks as I like the minimal amount of planning I have to do.

All in all, I want Avatar to do well because I like the idea of the two resorts competing for attendance. The more they compete, the more we, as theme park fans, benefit.

Like most on here, I see Avatarland being wonderfully immersive, but doubt it will make huge profits. I see the main benefit to this being adding capacity to the park and hopefully enticing more people to spend their evenings at DAK.
i guess my question is why is avatar the only project i ve ever seen where people are so concerned about the profits?
honest question not being snarky

i guess my question is why is avatar the only project i ve ever seen where people are so concerned about the profits?

Maybe its because people are worried that they poured so much money into it that in order to see any other investments made by WDW, they will need to start seeing profit from it first? The thing is we're already going SW and Toy Story land, which we've already seen budget cuts for from the original concepts.

A project this expensive sets the bar for success very high. It diminishes the likelihood of expansion and future similar projects.

I like WDW, but for the most part stopped going when they stopped improving.

A project this expensive sets the bar for success very high. It diminishes the likelihood of expansion and future similar projects.

I like WDW, but for the most part stopped going when they stopped improving.
i agree these types of projects are long overdue but doesnt this and Star wars improve WDW
DAK is or at least will be better than it is right now when this and ROL open

Status
Not open for further replies.