Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 252 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen.

He's always #1.
grave-of-smitty.gif

Just curious. What aspect of Volcano Bay are people most looking forward to? What's "number one" ?

No doubt in my mind, the volcano.
I'm excited about many, many things. The water coaster and the interactive parts definitely stand out. I'm also a sucker for a really cool kiddie area for my youngest (3) who can't ride most rides. An awesome kiddie area makes or breaks a water park for me sometimes.

But the volcano is like nothing else we've ever seen. I've been on water coasters and I've seen interactive elements. I've never seen a Man made 200 foot tall volcano that is going to erupt and have water flowing continuously. That will be completely unique.

Just curious. What aspect of Volcano Bay are people most looking forward to? What's "number one" ?
Escape Factor. It's between a messed up highway and a school. Will the ground level detail and interactivity be enough to make me feel like I am in the South Pacific?

And Crowd Flow/Travel Factor.
We wont be able to park at the Water Park, so I am extremely curios how the people flow works from the time one arrives until they leave. That includes TapuTapu and the food/bathroom lines as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog
It looks too much like Aquatica to me, which I deem as tacky. Now obviously Krakatau sets it apart from Aquatica, but point still stands.

I much prefer the way Disney built their water parks and how they Uber-themed the slides so they blended in with the surroundings.

Doesn't mean I won't enjoy VB, though.

I don't find Aquatica "tacky," but no question this looks like Aquatica with a realish volcano stuck in the middle. Which is the same problem I have with Voyage of the Little Mermaid--the realistic queue clashes with the eventual ride. Simply put, candy-colored plastic slides and tiki huts requite a candy-colored volcano.

I agree I'll enjoy VB, as well. But this also undercuts any attempt to market this as some new third park. It's another water park, pure and simple. I don't expect the imeressiveness to be near either WDW park.

I don't find Aquatica "tacky," but no question this looks like Aquatica with a realish volcano stuck in the middle. Which is the same problem I have with Voyage of the Little Mermaid--the realistic queue clashes with the eventual ride. Simply put, candy-colored plastic slides and tiki huts requite a candy-colored volcano.

I agree I'll enjoy VB, as well. But this also undercuts any attempt to market this as some new third park. It's another water park, pure and simple. I don't expect the imeressiveness to be near either WDW park.
When I say "tacky", I'm specifically speaking to the loud colors.

Definitely agree with your assessment that it undercuts their attempt at marketing this as a third park.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Tacky? You guys are acting like this is what they are building.

Six_Flags_New_England_563148_i0.jpg

Have you driven I-4 lately? This is exactly what they're building. Pictures don't truly capture the vibe of anything--you're probably the first to suggest Blizzard Beach isn't immersive (tiny statue aside)--but everything points to this being more Aquatica than Disney.

Have you driven I-4 lately? This is exactly what they're building. Pictures don't truly capture the vibe of anything--you're probably the first to suggest Blizzard Beach isn't immersive (tiny statue aside)--but everything points to this being more Aquatica than Disney.
Not sure why anyone's ragging on Aquatica. I feel much more relaxed and immersed there than somewhere like Blizzard Beach. Aquatica feels more spread out, lush, and relaxing to me. With the exception of while you're at the very top of some of the stairs for slides, I never even notice the outside world there.

Blizzard Beach is hot (not enough trees for shade), cramped (and too busy for its size usually,) and the theming consist mostly of a lot of concrete (made to look like snow but concrete nonetheless.) The lazy river is less impressive than the little free one at Cabana Bay, only 2.5 feet deep (safe for the kiddies) and all the theming of white concrete without any trees to offer shade.

Now nothing is going to beat the truly immersive nature of Discovery Cove (with their guest limit controls and extensive landscaping) but I think Aquatica does a fine job. It's certainly more immersive than Wet 'n Wild ever was.

I would be certainly pleased if VB ends up more like Aquatica than Blizzard Beach.

/end rant

I never said Blizzard Beach wasn't immersive, I said it is tacky. Blizzard Beach is the All Star Resort of water parks. I am expecting Volcano Bay to be more like The Polynesian Village Resort than the All Stars.

And all and all, I believe that even with a few colored slides, Volcano Bay will be the classiest water park in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.