Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Secret Life of Pets attraction coming? (USH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a mediocre film aside from the fact that it's being made (most likely) into a lavish Uni attraction?

I mean, that's why I paid to go see it in theaters.

It's a mediocre film aside from the fact that it's being made (most likely) into a lavish Uni attraction?

I mean, that's why I paid to go see it in theaters.
I don't want to put down Illumination because I love that Universal is doing their own thing with Animation now, but if we're being honest about their catalog so far, most everything they've done is just mediocre except the original Despicable Me film.

Most of their movies lack the heart that makes a lot of Disney movies a little more fun for everyone rather than coming off as goofy and "just a cartoon".

Most of their movies lack the heart that makes a lot of Disney movies a little more fun for everyone rather than coming off as goofy and "just a cartoon".

[HASHTAG]#HotTakeAlert[/HASHTAG]: I really like Illumination's "We're just making cartoons" strategy. There are things they shouldn't take this road with (Seuss's properties, especially), but I like that they just make goofy, generally funny cartoons.

[HASHTAG]#HotTakeAlert[/HASHTAG]: I really like Illumination's "We're just making cartoons" strategy. There are things they shouldn't take this road with (Seuss's properties, especially), but I like that they just make goofy, generally funny cartoons.
Everyone has their opinion. I feel like I would've loved Minions or Pets when I was younger, but I just prefer something with a deeper story if i'm going to watch an animated movie these days.

It's not to say that this is a bad strategy for Illumination though as they tend to make a lot of money, but part of my point is that now that they own Dreamworks, which basically makes the same type of movies, I feel like Illumination and DW should try to differentiate themselves from each other much like Pixar and WDA have. Creating a unique identity goes a long way.

Everyone has their opinion. I feel like I would've loved Minions or Pets when I was younger, but I just prefer something with a deeper story if i'm going to watch an animated movie these days.

It's not to say that this is a bad strategy for Illumination though as they tend to make a lot of money, but part of my point is that now that they own Dreamworks, which basically makes the same type of movies, I feel like Illumination and DW should try to differentiate themselves from each other much like Pixar and WDA have. Creating a unique identity goes a long way.

Pixar and WDAS make the same films now to the point you can't tell them apart.

Illumination has been batting 2/5 for me (I don't count Hop): Despicable Me being a MAJOR hit (new classic, franchise starter) and Minions (an uproarious, cohesive funhouse).

Despicable Me 2's story was half-baked and relied on one too many cliches/tropes. The core story just didn't involve the relationship between Gru and the girls into the main plot... and what was there didn't resonate. (Agnes doesn't have a mom. Gru just happens to fall in love with someone who's a great mom. Conflict solved... first Despicable Me was more nuanced than that.) That said, it was often quite funny.

The Lorax was SO CLOSE. The environmentalist tone was strong, I didn't mind the Onceler being a more fleshed out character, and the "feature length" device largely worked... but the film lacked real weight by over-investing in aforementioned device. A handful of solid but not memorable songs couldn't save it... and the forced "happy" ending really bugged me.

Secret Life of Pets was a MAJOR disappointment, an uninspired Toy Story clone without any of the heart or earnest creativity. It felt paint by the numbers, lazy, and phoned in. The character work was nonexistent.

SING looks to be a return to form to what works for Illumination - human desires expressed in delightful cartoon antics.

So, is there still a chance of SLOP coming to Orlando?
There's always the chance that Shrek closes at USF to get a new land/better ride at Universal's rumored third gate (fourth gate if you count VB as a park.)

If that happens SLoP could take over the old Shrek 4D building, most likely as a 2 story dark ride to make use of the space. I'm sure they'd like to have that road be a nice little Illumination Entertainment land with Despicable Me and Secret Life across from each other.

If a big focus is put on Dreamworks Animation for a new park, I could see SLoP coming to an existing one. Maybe. If they plan on making a sequel it'll be more likely.

They did add it to the parade, so we know they still like the property at least. There's just been a shift in priorities with Nintendo deals and new land purchases, so it's not the first thing in their minds I'm sure.

IMG_1750b.jpg

Oh, according to Wikipedia, even the SLoP sequel got pushed back.
A sequel, with director Chris Renaud, producers Chris Meledandri and Janet Healy, and writer Brian Lynch was announced in August 2016, with a release date of July 13, 2018. On January 25, 2017, its release date was pushed back to July 3, 2019.

Finally got to see this over the weekend. It was OK, and I could see it being an interesting dark ride.
I can see why it got pushed back... not clear where they could take the story next.

All being equal, it's not false that this ride has been pushed back at the very least. We were expecting it to start in Hollywood last year and still nothing has happened with it.

Maybe I'm the only one thinking this, but if SLOP is cancelled, it's because of a plan for a full Illumination Land (a la Pixar Studios at DHS). When SLOP was rumored heavily, it was the only non-Minion hit from Illumination. Now, they have two.

Status
Not open for further replies.