Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Theme Park Artwork

Haven't had too much time to work on the Mara sculpt, but I wanted to print it is so I could just hold it in my hand. Gave it a short acetone vapor bath to reduce the print lines, I will print the next one vertically for best resolution instead of laying on its back. Will also print it larger.

IMG_8383_zps8ujawve4.jpg

IMG_8390_zpsmwzvb8sl.jpg

Haven't had too much time to work on the Mara sculpt, but I wanted to print it is so I could just hold it in my hand. Gave it a short acetone vapor bath to reduce the print lines, I will print the next one vertically for best resolution instead of laying on its back. Will also print it larger.

IMG_8383_zps8ujawve4.jpg

IMG_8390_zpsmwzvb8sl.jpg

Looking good, mate!

What are you using for a 3D printer? Pro system? How did you learn of acetone to reduce lines. It seems like an antique method for sculpt control. You created the original sculpt for the scan?

Last edited:
Now that is just cool Scott, Thanks for the link!

It's fascinating stuff no doubt. The dates in particular really jump out as a view into the whole development of a park.

If all goes to plan, I'll be moving house next year and plan on having a grand man cave, I'm going to send B&M an email on the off chance they can send me a digital copy of the blueprints to make a giant poster and frame it.

It's fascinating stuff no doubt. The dates in particular really jump out as a view into the whole development of a park.

If all goes to plan, I'll be moving house next year and plan on having a grand man cave, I'm going to send B&M an email on the off chance they can send me a digital copy of the blueprints to make a giant poster and frame it.
Thank u SM.

I actually have some cool concept designs for doom and hulk.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you using for a 3D printer? Pro system? How did you learn of acetone to reduce lines. It seems like an antique method for sculpt control. You created the original sculpt for the scan?

I own a Flashforge Creator. It's definitely not a high end machine, but for the price it does a fine job for my purposes (post processed and conceptual models). I believe I printed this at the printer's highest resolution; .1 mm. The next best printer I would consider buying is an Ultimaker. It has a print resolution maxing out at 2 microns, or .02 mm. (also about 3 times the price of mine). After that you would move from FDM printing (Fused Deposition Modeling), into resin printing (SLS) (about 4 times the price of mine) for a gain of 1 micron.

I will print the final version standing straight up (how its orientated in the pictures) rather than on its back. That will greatly improve the appearance.

I learned about acetone vapor baths from general 3D printing research. It reduces the strata but also reduces detail. So you need to over compensate the detail in your sculpts. I did sculpt this myself using Pixelogic. I only gave this a 15-20 minute vapor bath. It is not uncommon to let them sit for an hour+, but you will definitely see degradation in the model's detail.

I own a Flashforge Creator. It's definitely not a high end machine, but for the price it does a fine job for my purposes (post processed and conceptual models). I believe I printed this at the printer's highest resolution; .1 mm. The next best printer I would consider buying is an Ultimaker. It has a print resolution maxing out at 2 microns, or .02 mm. (also about 3 times the price of mine). After that you would move from FDM printing (Fused Deposition Modeling), into resin printing (SLS) (about 4 times the price of mine) for a gain of 1 micron.

I will print the final version standing straight up (how its orientated in the pictures) rather than on its back. That will greatly improve the appearance.

I did sculpt this myself using Pixelogic.

fun stuff. whys and whats are appreciated!