Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Journey to Atlantis

This is the best throwback I've found. It's a ride review from Thrillride.com that basically describes how the ride was on opening day or close to it. It even has some old school pics to accompany it.

ThrillRide!
Oh, the old Thrill Ride! Bob's write up of IoA and SFWoA were both so good they made me plan trips based on his descriptions!

When JTA first opened it was so awesome, with the only disappointment (for me) being the unthemed lift hill along I-Drive. Aside from that it was pretty amazing when it first opened.

I found this television commercial, and I found it interesting how they use Busch Garden's "Escape from Pompeii" to promote Journey.

Also around 21:32, Journey to Atlantis is featured. This documentary is from 2000, so you can kinda see how it was.

Last edited:
It's usually down for rehab January/February. Just like Universal and Disney try to rehab their water rides in the coldest months when there would be few riders anyway.

I'm hearing there is some reasoning behind the extended refurbishment. A lot of technical stuff is being replaced and/or refurbished and some (read: like 2) effects are being repaired after years of them needing it. The technical stuff includes a completely new breaking system, a new ride monitoring system, and all the gates on the ride track are being refurbished plus some other smaller stuff.

I'm hearing there is some reasoning behind the extended refurbishment. A lot of technical stuff is being replaced and/or refurbished and some (read: like 2) effects are being repaired after years of them needing it. The technical stuff includes a completely new breaking system, a new ride monitoring system, and all the gates on the ride track are being refurbished plus some other smaller stuff.
Really hope this is true. I have always found this to be such a great ride.

I remember I first learned about Aquatic's construction seeing the colorful tubes and piles of dirt from JTA's lift. Back before I joined theme park forums :lol:

What are they currently doing with it? It's been testing for a few weeks now and I never heard of what's going on with it

What are they currently doing with it? It's been testing for a few weeks now and I never heard of what's going on with it
With all this testing I wonder if something has been changed in the ride. I think there once were rumors of changes to the ending coaster section.