Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

And come to think of it, their whole system seems to assume they can seat a predetermined number of people who committed to riding like 20-30 mins prior by entering the preshow.

That's dumb.

Simulators have seat problems and fly light loads. Committing to a party size several cycles before is asking for issues.

So I've noticed that even more than usual, there have been zero POVs of the ride that have eeked out online. Not just that, though, but literally every single video no matter how official/obscure the vlogger is, mentions that recording of the ride is strictly forbidden. Yes, I know: it's against the rules. No need to reiterate that.

But I mean, even the ones who film getting into the theater just cut straight to outside saying, "well I couldn't get the ride because it isn't allowed..." So are the TMs shoving this point down guests' throats and going commando on anybody holding anything that remotely resembles a recording device? I've just never seen such blatant rule-following by the public ;)

So I've noticed that even more than usual, there have been zero POVs of the ride that have eeked out online. Not just that, though, but literally every single video no matter how official/obscure the vlogger is, mentions that recording of the ride is strictly forbidden. Yes, I know: it's against the rules. No need to reiterate that.

But I mean, even the ones who film getting into the theater just cut straight to outside saying, "well I couldn't get the ride because it isn't allowed..." So are the TMs shoving this point down guests' throats and going commando on anybody holding anything that remotely resembles a recording device? I've just never seen such blatant rule-following by the public ;)
This just sounds like a challenge to me ;)

(Joking, don't break park rules for a video)

Not willing to risk my AP for a POV, sorry.

Also, my camera emits an IR light that makes it super easy to spot on surveillance. It literally glows on screen to them. I've had employees come over speakers on other attractions at parks to say "no cameras" and that can ruin the ride as it covers up ride audio. I'd hate to ruin mine or others first experience on a new attraction.

But, you know, mostly I don't wanna risk being kicked out of the park with my Annual Pass suspended over literally the stupidest thing.

And yes I filmed and wrote that filming is against the rules in my video because with Kong I got countless people asking me to film the ride on my channel, after not filming a close up of the rules.

Also, my camera emits an IR light that makes it super easy to spot on surveillance. It literally glows on screen to them. I've had employees come over speakers on other attractions at parks to say "no cameras" and that can ruin the ride as it covers up ride audio. I'd hate to ruin mine or others first experience on a new attraction.

But, you know, mostly I don't wanna risk being kicked out of the park with my Annual Pass suspended over literally the stupidest thing.

And yes I filmed and wrote that filming is against the rules in my video because with Kong I got countless people asking me to film the ride on my channel, after not filming a close up of the rules.

I actually appreciate you not taking the video. With this being a simulator, there isn't really anything to shoot (except for the ride film and maybe watching people's jiggle from the motion like bobbleheads). I have ridden dark rides where people use a camera with a light that kind of ruins it. Bear in mind that I am not saying that about you as IR would be fairly invisible. Also, we enjoy your pictures and wouldn't want you to jeopardize your ability to do so. It's all about us.

I actually appreciate you not taking the video. With this being a simulator, there isn't really anything to shoot (except for the ride film and maybe watching people's jiggle from the motion like bobbleheads). I have ridden dark rides where people use a camera with a light that kind of ruins it. Bear in mind that I am not saying that about you as IR would be fairly invisible. Also, we enjoy your pictures and wouldn't want you to jeopardize your ability to do so. It's all about us.
Right. Plus these attractions don't translate well into POV. All it does it put a crappy version out there and feed & prompt the anti Universal trolls on the internet to comment that the ride looks terrible. Then these people, who probably never even make it to a theme park, plaster their unfounded opinions all over the internet, prompting even more people to say the ride sucks. Of course, the ride looks terrible, the POV is terrible. I can't fault any park from prohibiting filming of screen based rides. They invest millions into an attraction and someone's utterly horrid POV gives them a marketing nightmare.

I'm not saying people should (or you should), I'm saying that I'm surprised nobody has not only tried, but came out spewing out the same verbiage. For instance, there were Kong POVs that were released here and there despite the strictness of the rules. Here it's just not happening, which is why I'm asking if the TMs are being extra cautious right now.

It's not your video I'm responding to, btw. It's literally every video out there, from known to obscure.

I'm not saying people should (or you should), I'm saying that I'm surprised nobody has not only tried, but came out spewing out the same verbiage. For instance, there were Kong POVs that were released here and there despite the strictness of the rules. Here it's just not happening, which is why I'm asking if the TMs are being extra cautious right now.

It's not your video I'm responding to, btw. It's literally every video out there, from known to obscure.
Maybe because Jimmy Fallon and the Roots actually tells us not to in the preshow people take it more seriously. Easier to ignore a sign and pretend you didn't notice.

Side note - I know this is Uni's first ride with seat belts... but you just yank the air hose out from under the misbehaving seat and then have maintenance fix it later and not load that seat.

You put a big drapery cover over the seat.

How does no one at Universal know this? The people at SeaWorld know this.

To that tune... there's a point where doing things your own way begins to ignore the obvious advances your competitors have made (and learning from their mistakes as well.)
That's the point of this soft opening is to work out the bugs and learn how to do things better.

Universal just had it's Media preview of the attraction. Robert Niles, on Theme Park Insider gave it a glowing review. He also has a video clip of UC's Jason Surrell talking about the attraction. He said the queue alone is better than most attractions and the ride itself was a lot of fun. He also talks about what an excellent marketing device this is for NBC and the Tonight Show. This is a must read review. :thumbsup::)

Like Alicia said, most cameras emit IR and will glow on surveillance cameras.

One of the core processes of starting any simulator is to look at the screen that has all the people and make sure they're doing what they're suppose to before you push the button to make it start.

If someone is glowing, you don't start.

Then the second big thing you do operating it is watch the show in progress - the people, no one cares about the film as long as it is going. Someone glows? Yell at them. Keep glowing? Stop the ride and remove them.