Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon | Page 195 | Inside Universal Forums

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Echm...
Shrekcharacter.jpg

Forgot about Shrek! Theater is more poorly themed than the Shrek theater :ack:

It is easily 90% plain black walls. There's only a little bit of wood on the back of the theater.

The theater looks like it belongs at a regional park where it's film gets changed every season. It's easily the most off the shelf biggest POS Universal has ever built.

Of all the weird things to complain about, it looks very similar to the actual Studio 6B just slightly smaller (The studio looks a lot bigger on TV than it actually is). The real studio has the small section of wood grain and above that (where lighting equipment is) is all black, just like the ride. You may not like it, but it's spot on.

Of all the weird things to complain about, it looks very similar to the actual Studio 6B just slightly smaller (The studio looks a lot bigger on TV than it actually is). The real studio has the small section of wood grain and above that (where lighting equipment is) is all black, just like the ride. You may not like it, but it's spot on.

Eh.. I just took the NBC Tour at 30 Rock in January. Only major similarity is that the seats are red.

Also bugs me how we're at "30 Rock" then we walk inside of the main theater and the screen says race through New York... What happened to being at the tonight show?

Reactions: Splatter
That and in the Preshow Questlove yells "Hello Universal Studios" I enjoy blurring the lines but you are right, it oddly goes back and forth with inconsitencies.

All three motion platform attractions simulate a rollercoaster. Odd choices when avoiding the same illusions over and over.

Last edited:
I would imagine it will be more like a Disaster, where you experience it once or twice on a trip, since each experience (with live acts queue) is going to take 30 minutes or so. That doesn't really lend itself to a lot of repeat rides since it occupies a large chunk of time. So, it's more of a total attraction then just a ride per se like a SpiderMan or Transformers where it's 4 minutes at a clip.

Disaster, the practical ride that everyone says they miss, but nobody ever did

It is easily 90% plain black walls. There's only a little bit of wood on the back of the theater.

The theater looks like it belongs at a regional park where it's film gets changed every season. It's easily the most off the shelf biggest POS Universal has ever built.

I imagine they were going for a more realistic tv studio feel...The audience parts are normally ugly...A good example of where hyper-real theme can actually be a bad thing

Reactions: Mad Dog and Joel

I imagine they were going for a more realistic tv studio feel...The audience parts are normally ugly...A good example of where hyper-real theme can actually be a bad thing

They were going for the "no effort" feel IMO. I swear, it's like a theater at a regional amusement park. You can see the fans hanging from the ceiling with no effort to hide them. It's just upsetting that the ride turned out like this...

Reactions: shiekra38

Yes, I've been in a few TV studios that were really bad. Seats on scaffolding type structures, etc., just about everything showing besides the stage itself. They're generally not like the ornate old time movie theaters or Broadway theaters. They're made to be "functional", not necessarily pretty.

They were going for the "no effort" feel IMO. I swear, it's like a theater at a regional amusement park. You can see the fans hanging from the ceiling with no effort to hide them. It's just upsetting that the ride turned out like this...

Yes, I've been in a few TV studios that were really bad. Seats on scaffolding type structures, etc., just about everything showing besides the stage itself. They're generally not like the ornate old time movie theaters or Broadway theaters. They're made to be "functional", not necessarily pretty.

I've been on the tour as well and it definitely surprised me how different it looks not through the TV. In reality, there is MUCH MORE hanging from the ceiling. If they wanted to be realistic they would need to hang a bunch more lights and TVs from the ceiling.

This picture is the same studio 6B, but from a previous host (not sure which). The stuff mounted up top is the same as it is now though.

Late_Night_with_Jimmy_Fallon_studio_(8490518753).jpg

Reactions: Mad Dog
I've been on the tour as well and it definitely surprised me how different it looks not through the TV. In reality, there is MUCH MORE hanging from the ceiling. If they wanted to be realistic they would need to hang a bunch more lights and TVs from the ceiling.

This picture is the same studio 6B, but from a previous host (not sure which). The stuff mounted up top is the same as it is now though.

View attachment 3837

Here's a screenshot from the video below showing all the stuff mounted to the ceiling:

ss 2017-03-08 at 12.02.01 PM.jpg

That's unfortunate...I have yet to ride (hopefully next week)...I do know Universal has a "nobody looks up" mentality with a lot of things...perhaps theming budget was spent on the pre-shows :shrug:

I don't think you can put too much on the theater platform, because it has to all move together. The only place they can theme fully is the back wall and there is some decoration there. The rest must remain light and durable.

The apparatus for Soarin' isn't themed at all, and I'm not complaining. Just metal and seats in front of a dome screen with clearly discernible edges.

At least the seats look like the ones from 6B here. And you see this room for like a minute, most of that time spent putting your stuff away and buckling in. Like I said before, the real theming is on the screen, which is all you can see for the ride duration. Unlike Star Tours, where you can see the ship's interior walls, ceiling, and C3PO the entire time, all you can see on Fallon are the seats in front of you and screen.

Honestly, I'm surprised they were able to fit two of those theaters on a second floor of that old building. That screen is pretty big.

(Now if only they can figure out a way to improve the motion profile to move side to side more without ripping the building apart, I'll be entirely pleased with this attraction.)

Took me way too long to get this update done, but it's done: Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon Soft Opens, Full Queue Experience and Construction Update – Orlando ParkStop

I'll probably go into more details in another article after riding a second time, but wanted to get my detailed construction update out before I got too busy with other stuff.

Today I'm fascinated by the color changing elements in the lobby and lounge to let you know it's your turn. I think that's a really cool idea. Yeas ago I created a red light bulb thingy that lights up in my office when I get an email. I think the world needs more real world indicators like that.

01935.MTS_.Still031.jpg

IMG_2540.jpg

Peacock changing to orange:
01935.MTS_.Still004bbb.jpg

Chandeliers change color in lobby:
01935.MTS_.Still005bbb.jpg

Stage stairs changing color in lounge:
01935.MTS_.Still025.jpg

Walls changing color in lounge:
01935.MTS_.Still024bb.jpg

I absolutely love the windows overlooking the city, really sells the Studio 6B vibe:
01935.MTS_.Still019bb.jpg

01935.MTS_.Still020bb.jpg

Fun fact: Four out of six Tonight Show hosts’ names begin with “J”
01935.MTS_.Still017bb.jpg

You know what? I genuinely like Shrek. I think as far as the movie goes, it's almost up there with T2. Most of the jokes land well and the 3D is used as well as it can be for a theatre.

Sure, it's not themed that well but I'd take mediocre theming and a good film over good theming and a mediocre film.

That kinda talk gets you banned, sir. :lol:

The apparatus for Soarin' isn't themed at all, and I'm not complaining. Just metal and seats in front of a dome screen with clearly discernible edges.

That's a really great point. Cant' forgive one while bashing the other. (If you bash both, then this doesn't apply :lol: )

Look up the next time you're in Tough to be a bug, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Mickey's Philharmagic. You can see the fans hanging with no effort to hide them. I think people are being overly critical for no reason on this.

Look up the next time you're in Tough to be a bug, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Mickey's Philharmagic. You can see the fans hanging with no effort to hide them. I think people are being overly critical for no reason on this.

100%. There's definitely areas where judgement is warranted, but this ride has really brought out some pitchforks.

100%. There's definitely areas where judgement is warranted, but this ride has really brought out some pitchforks.
I do think we're kinder to attractions that we're more familiar with as a whole.

However, I do think that since parks are moving more towards total immersion that it is okay to be more critical towards newer offerings whenever they repeat the mistakes of their predecessors, particularly when they're as derivative as Fallon.

Total immersion of a theater like Fallons should be judged on what TV Studios really look like, not a romantasized imagination, if one is into true immersion. A pretty, perfect theater would actually be less immersive since it's based on a lie, like alternative facts. :)

Reactions: Joel