Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon | Page 196 | Inside Universal Forums

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You know what? I genuinely like Shrek. I think as far as the movie goes, it's almost up there with T2. Most of the jokes land well and the 3D is used as well as it can be for a theatre.

Sure, it's not themed that well but I'd take mediocre theming and a good film over good theming and a mediocre film.
:thumbsup:.... then I cover my head to avoid the stoning. :)

Total immersion of a theater like Fallons should be judged on what TV Studios really look like, not a romantasized imagination, if one is into true immersion. A pretty, perfect theater would actually be less immersive since it's based on a lie, like alternative facts. :)
I don't know that I agree! Hogsmeade is technically a more accurate recreation of JK's novels/movies, but I'd venture to say that Diagon is more truly immersive, even though it strays more from the source material.

Edited to add: This is specifically in reference to how for Hogsmeade, JK demanded that the size of each building be exactly as she had imagined it, resulting in a cramped layout that feels smaller than it is. Diagon's dimensions were amped up so that it would "feel" grander, and I'd argue the end result is more immersive, because the land "feels" like it's the right size. Exact recreations are often less effective than stylized ones, because in a theme park, it doesn't need to be accurate to feel accurate.

My point is that the "studio" should've been more ornate than the real one if the real one would evoke a feeling of cheapness in a theme park. I'm in the camp that the ride still doesn't match the level of the real studio, but even if it did, it's still not enough to be a proper follow up to the beauty of the queue before it.

These tiny things may seem trivial, but add them up and you have the difference between a USF and an Islands of Adventure, or in Disney's case, a DHS and an Animal Kingdom.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrenRays
I do think we're kinder to attractions that we're more familiar with as a whole.

However, I do think that since parks are moving more towards total immersion that it is okay to be more critical towards newer offerings whenever they repeat the mistakes of their predecessors, particularly when they're as derivative as Fallon.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't be critical. I'm just saying certain viewpoints have been overcritical.

It's cool. I'll build a fort. With beer.

Just spotted this on Reddit:

Can we talk about Universal Studios Orlando for a second. : rollercoasters

Personally, I'm amazed this thread hasn't been touched in 2 months:

The Official "Use of Screenz" Thread | Orlando United Forums

I forgot who stated this earlier in this thread - but yea, the responses on the thread are pretty spot on. While screens will be used, the reliance on screens as the main source of the attraction will end with F&F.

Reactions: Mad Dog and Jones14
Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't be critical. I'm just saying certain viewpoints have been overcritical.

I forgot who stated this earlier in this thread - but yea, the responses on the thread are pretty spot on. While screens will be used, the reliance on screens as the main source of the attraction will end with F&F.

You have to wonder once Universal switch to more practical rides, if it will inflate reviews.

If it's a ride that's well designed, and fun there is no reason it wouldn't. There are modern practical rides that are not soo great. (See the last 1/3 of TLM at DCA, you can see outside the showbuilding during the finale)

I may have this slightly back to front. Instead of inflating the reviews, it won't deflate them. A good ride is a good ride but if people have such low expectations for F&F because it's another screen based ride (Not just because it sounds terrible) then mixing up the type of ride, should work in it's favour.

These next few attractions have actually increased the value of ET, Fivel's Slide, Shrek and T2.

Twister, Disaster and Jaws had no height requirement, were low intensity accesible for families without motion sickness concerns and huge people eaters.
ET is the lowest of existing height requirements and the rest I listed have none.

Fallon is 40 inches and Fast and Furious will likely be 36

These next few attractions have actually increased the value of ET, Fivel's Slide, Shrek and T2.

Twister, Disaster and Jaws had no height requirement, were low intensity accesible for families without motion sickness concerns and huge people eaters.
ET is the lowest of existing height requirements and the rest I listed have none.

Fallon is 40 inches and Fast and Furious will likely be 36

I think this is an interesting point. It will be really interesting to see how families react once Kidzone goes down for Nintendo. I predict outrage quickly followed by gushing over the land once it opens.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I think this is an interesting point. It will be really interesting to see how families react once Kidzone goes down for Nintendo. I predict outrage quickly followed by gushing over the land once it opens.
They'll picket Universal with signs posted on their double wide strollers that say, "No More Gamez" ;)

Reactions: Scott W.

How many attractions in KZ are easily movable... say to a cleared Fear Fact area? That and boost a few kids offerings around the park and they should be fine.

How many attractions in KZ are easily movable... say to a cleared Fear Fact area? That and boost a few kids offerings around the park and they should be fine.

I don't doubt they can be easily moved but there is always going to be a transition period and would it even be worth it?

Reactions: Mad Dog