Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Attendance Tracker

I'm sure Avatar will get the locals to flock to AK, but I have my doubts that it's going to fill up hotel rooms. Sure not looking like it will, at least summer season wise.....Those UK offers are really reasonable for WDW in the summer. Once again, it's an indicator of black clouds on the horizon.

I can tell you that the AP previews worked to fill up a hotel room. Trying to stay first weekend of previews, all values were booked and a few moderates were left. A lot of "Standard" deluxe rooms also booked. Now, we know Disney plays funny business with room availability sometimes. But still. That's something.

I do think early on Avatar will draw in the out of state APs. And will probably draw in some additional holiday and summer traffic. But I wonder what will happen when school goes back in and less US families are able to travel.

From a UK POV I don't think 2017 will be impacted that much as they will have been booked before the dollar increase/ pound fall.
Our trip in January was roughly the same cost as in previous years and the exchange rate only effected what we spent once in Florida
2018 however was initially looking ridiculously expensive, but now numerous offers are beginning to materialise, the trump/cbp issue won't deter most Brits, if the pound continues to fall against the dollar then the US in general will become much too expensive for the UK tourist market.

FWIW, MK yesterday (4/22) was a bigger cluster than Easter or even New Years Eve 2016. Cars parked on grass, traffic jam trying to leave even before Wishes ... when I arrived around 11:00 am--after at least 35 minutes to get thru toll/lot--they had abandoned tram service for Hook, just told people to walk and "follow the blue line." (Trams were stopping at Scar and immediately filling up, both lots were insane.)

First day in weeks seasonal APs could get in, probably cheapest hotel rates in months. I'm now convinced flexible pricing has had a noticeable effect on crowd levels.

It didn't help that the MK parking lots were all screwed up for the Star Wars races stuff. For this series of races (at least on Saturday and Sunday) the starting line was in the MK parking lot so almost half the lots were closed on the Heroes side for the staging areas.

On Mice Chat's Disneyland photo display/article today, they were talking about seasonal pricing. They said that Disneyland had low crowd levels, with many attractions being walk ons, during the Spring Break days when most AP holders & discount ticket holders were blocked from the parks at Disneyland. The only times there were crowds were the days AP holders & discount ticket holders weren't blocked. They mentioned they can't recall a Spring Break season there with such small crowds. They're surmising that it may finally be price fatigue due to the high cost of tickets., & people being reluctant to pay full price for tickets......While WDW has a different clientele, since it's more tourist oriented, it's still an interesting happening, and warrants watching.

Last edited:
Touring Plans (on their blog) has a very good editorial concerning the very large increase in WDW stand by line times during the past year, even though attendance has been flat. TP has just performed a new statistical study and they attribute the entirety of the unprecedented increase in wait times to staffing cuts. They also point out there is a large body of anecdotal evidence that guest satisfaction is dropping. The TP conclusion is that if WDW does not reverse course in the next year or two that there will be long term negative consequences of this problem........This is so similar to what we, the posters on OU, have been talking about in the past year or so.

Last edited:
Touring Plans (on their blog) has a very good editorial concerning the very large increase in WDW stand by line times during the past year, even though attendance has been flat. TP has just performed a new statistical study and they attribute the entirety of the unprecedented increase in wait times to staffing cuts. They also point out there is a large body of anecdotal evidence that guest satisfaction is dropping. The TP conclusion is that if WDW does not reverse course in the next year or two that there will be long term negative consequences of this problem........This is so similar to what we, the posters on OU, have been talking about in the past year or so.

Yes. Also the increases in waits and reduced staffing line up directly with the promotion of Chapek. Although I'd argue attendance is not steady but dropping and FP+ is also playing into the increases in waits

Yes. Also the increases in waits and reduced staffing line up directly with the promotion of Chapek. Although I'd argue attendance is not steady but dropping and FP+ is also playing into the increases in waits
Paul Pressler reborn.;)...There was also anecdotal evidence in the comments section that fastpass line waits have increased. Not a bunch of happy campers commenting. Usually they are all pretty pixie dust oriented over there on TP. Quite telling.

Interesting as this just isn't happening stateside but as well as at TDL which has caused the locals to stop visiting as much which according to analyst should actually truly create an attendance decline for the two parks.

Interesting as this just isn't happening stateside but as well as at TDL which has caused the locals to stop visiting as much which according to analyst should actually truly create an attendance decline for the two parks.
Which makes the successes at Universal Japan all the more remarkable. Seems like Universal is adopting the old time Walt Disney model of guest satisfaction, treat your guests well. While Disney is becoming Blackstone like in their approach (Maximum profits at the expense of guest experience). Those cuts in WDW park's live entertainment two to three years ago signaled this approach.

Almost like Disney is planning on selling off the parks in a couple years, just like Blackstone.
Almost looks like it. Lot's of typical cut operating cost, make profits look artificially higher, prepare company for sale signals. Interesting how, in a few years , Universal & Disney have flip flopped business attitudes......SWL could be the deal enhancer, like Potter was.

Last edited:

Which is why, no matter what they build, if they can't get their operations/management house in order it won't amount to a hill of beans.

Meanwhile, I believe the Comcast exec request for more street entertainment at Universal continues. Perhaps this has changed but I haven't heard of any complaints. Anyone here have any sense of cutbacks at UOR?
Every time I look around I see them adding not cutting. Maybe we won't get to use #thanksBejing