Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hmm.. there's a very nasty storm coming through the area shortly..

Do i hop in my car and and go check out Pandora at night since it will certainly scare off the tourists?
Wait times are 165 and 120 according to the app... by the time you would get there the land may well be closed to day guests.

Kilimanjaro and Dinosaur also have 70 and 55 min waits too so the park is pretty full still.

Wait times are 165 and 120 according to the app... by the time you would get there the land may well be closed to day guests.

Kilimanjaro and Dinosaur also have 70 and 55 min waits too so the park is pretty full still.

*bounces around putting on swim trunks and a nylon workoutshirt under a massive raincoat* But it's just starting to storm. I cant imagine the exterior queue staying and getting that wet.

I'll keep a close eye on closure status and turn around if they shut it down.

Omg it's so much lightning it's like strobe lights.

Ok, so under the premise that it's been several hour - my take on Pandora at night.

The pics:

Gallery 1: Share.Pho.to | This photo set was shared via Share.Pho.to

And Gallery 2: Night Pics 2

And then in general.. It's dark. Like stupidly dark in some spots. Also, the lighting just abruptly ends in some areas. The main building facade doesnt have any light up plants on it once you're past the queue lines so it's like a big dark backdrop with some blue washes. It definitely needs some light up plants. The projection mapping on the floating mountains is really dim, like almost hard to see in person. It needs real lights up there. The mapping i animated and has little lights moving about, but it's so hard to see the effect is pretty much entirely lost.

The areas where the sudden stop of lighting FX are the worst are behind the entrance to River Journey, the overflow queue for River Journey (it's almost pitch black in that side loop), and then sporadically around the drum circle, the River Journey exit area, and most jarringly the exit of Flight of Passage.

Most of the areas are just dark - not even the painted ground effect. Which is odd, considering they often still have the lights to illuminate the ground effect if it was there.

But the exit of Flight of Passage for whatever reason resorts to full on normal broad area lighting and it looks weird compared to the rest of the land. This extends to the industrial looking areas leading up the shop and dining too. It's very odd that it all just seems to stop.

Ok, so under the premise that it's been several hour - my take on Pandora at night.

The pics:

Gallery 1: Share.Pho.to | This photo set was shared via Share.Pho.to

And Gallery 2: Night Pics 2

And then in general.. It's dark. Like stupidly dark in some spots. Also, the lighting just abruptly ends in some areas. The main building facade doesnt have any light up plants on it once you're past the queue lines so it's like a big dark backdrop with some blue washes. It definitely needs some light up plants. The projection mapping on the floating mountains is really dim, like almost hard to see in person. It needs real lights up there. The mapping i animated and has little lights moving about, but it's so hard to see the effect is pretty much entirely lost.

The areas where the sudden stop of lighting FX are the worst are behind the entrance to River Journey, the overflow queue for River Journey (it's almost pitch black in that side loop), and then sporadically around the drum circle, the River Journey exit area, and most jarringly the exit of Flight of Passage.

Most of the areas are just dark - not even the painted ground effect. Which is odd, considering they often still have the lights to illuminate the ground effect if it was there.

But the exit of Flight of Passage for whatever reason resorts to full on normal broad area lighting and it looks weird compared to the rest of the land. This extends to the industrial looking areas leading up the shop and dining too. It's very odd that it all just seems to stop.

Thanks....Like I've said in another post, it just seems too dark, like NFL is way too dark, and NFL is basically deserted once the sun goes down. The above comment, "Avatar Scare Zone" sounds appropriate. Night time Pandora and the Navii River Journey were the two things I was most looking forward to, and they both seem underwhelming. In contrast, I thought day time Pandora & FOP would be just OK, but they seem to be the stars of the land. I'm speculating day time Pandora will attract the crowds, and after the newness dies off, night time Pandora will end up largely deserted except for the FOP attraction. Probably not what the execs. planned on....Overall, I'm looking forward to visiting the land, but everything is kind of reversed from the way I was speculating.

The projection mapping on the floating mountains is really dim, like almost hard to see in person. It needs real lights up there. The mapping i animated and has little lights moving about, but it's so hard to see the effect is pretty much entirely lost.

I'm speculating day time Pandora will attract the crowds, and after the newness dies off, night time Pandora will end up largely deserted except for the FOP attraction.
I wonder how long before they turn up the brightness of the mountain projections. If those are glowing and visible from outside the land it could draw more people in at nighttime... If things do ever slow down down the road. Plus, it's a waste if it's animated and no one can even tell because it's so dim.

Reactions: jtsalien
It has some nice spots - it is extremely inconsistent though.

Like some areas are just blue washes, some are just those projected star fields of green dots (most oddly the bushes outside the land near Merchantile), and some are dark and then some have everything.

Sometimes it's Christmas lights, sometimes it's neon, sometimes it's a wash.

And since the land is open from 7am to 1am most days I doubt anything will change anytime soon.

Reactions: Alicia
Do they sell navi flash lights in the gift shop? lol
No, but they do sell ACE branded flashlights. No joke.

Flashlights are in the bowl, under the compasses, above the shirts:
IMG_5655b.jpg

I thought the projection mapping wasn't going to be ready until later in the summer?
That was an incorrect rumor. The color blotches we've been seeing on the mountains are the projection mappings. They're just pretty muted. They're mapped so the colors correspond to exact locations, like the green light is on the grassy parts for example. Rather than just random lights on the mountains, it's exact mapping. It's just not as extravagant as some were probably expecting.

Image from epcyclopedia's gallery:
9cd3a114_l.jpeg

I'm speculating day time Pandora will attract the crowds, and after the newness dies off, night time Pandora will end up largely deserted except for the FOP attraction.
That's not a bet I would make at this juncture. It was 8:00pm, just starting to get dark and people were literally funneling into the land so fast that my party got separated for about 5 minutes. That said, there isn't any nighttime entertainment in the land, so I can see it easing, but it is still going to be a huge draw.

Unlike NFL, Pandora was heavily advertised for people to come see it at night and cast members are making sure guests know about that too. NFL was never specifically meant to be appealing at night.

That was an incorrect rumor. The color blotches we've been seeing on the mountains are the projection mappings. They're just pretty muted. They're mapped so the colors correspond to exact locations, like the green light is on the grassy parts for example. Rather than just random lights on the mountains, it's exact mapping. It's just not as extravagant as some were probably expecting.
I hope they are still test and adjusting the brightness levels of the mapping. I was there two days ago and I knew about the mapping for the mountains, but I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out to me as it was so dim. Granted I think it had just turned on (as we were watching the day/night transition happen) and the sun wasn't all the way down, but still.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicia
And it's animated to a degree. What it's showing I don't know but the blotches do move a little.

I was there during and after the rain when the clouds were still dense and it was barely visible in that pitch darkness