Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So Len Testa and Jim Hill were talking about Pandora on the Disney Dish and they mentioned how some of the waterfalls were projected, so that they would look more real for the forced perspective. They fall at a slower rate than a small stream of water would, to make them appear farther away. They said the projections were even visible during the day.

I knew that couldn't be right. No way those waterfalls were projections. So on my second trip I zoomed in my video camera... And what did I see? They're wheels!

They're physical wheels with a water texture carved into them rotating with only a small section visible from the front. There's some netting placed at the bottom to make it look like mist below it. It's a convincing effect, but once you see it up close you'll never be able to un-see it.

So Len Testa and Jim Hill were talking about Pandora on the Disney Dish and they mentioned how some of the waterfalls were projected, so that they would look more real for the forced perspective. They fall at a slower rate than a small stream of water would, to make them appear farther away. They said the projections were even visible during the day.

I knew that couldn't be right. No way those waterfalls were projections. So on my second trip I zoomed in my video camera... And what did I see? They're wheels!

They're physical wheels with a water texture carved into them rotating with only a small section visible from the front. There's some netting placed at the bottom to make it look like mist below it. It's a convincing effect, but once you see it up close you'll never be able to un-see it.

Eagle eye Alicia. You may well be the first person to make that observation publicly. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Eckert and Alicia
Eagle eye Alicia. You may well be the first person to make that observation publicly. :thumbsup:
My new thing is pointing out hidden things in theme parks. I also found big bugs I haven't seen anyone talking about. Writing an article about these things now.

Also, are we sure these are baby banshees in the floating mountain cave, and not some other creature? epcyclopedia, can you look in your field guide and see if there's any flying things, maybe ones that have "dactyl" at the end of their name. I swear there's something. These have way different wings, heads, and feet than banshees.

EDIT: Nevermind, found them. They're Stingbats, see below post.

P1110156.JPG
P1110159.JPG

Last edited:
My new thing is pointing out hidden things in theme parks. I also found big bugs I haven't seen anyone talking about. Writing an article about these things now.

Also, are we sure these are baby banshees in the floating mountain cave, and not some other creature? epcyclopedia, look in your field guide and see if there's any flying things, maybe ones that have "dactyl" at the end of their name. I swear there's something. These have way different wings, heads, and feet than banshees.

View attachment 4579
View attachment 4580
Yeah those were what I was talking about the other day. I just guessed that they were baby banshee as if you stand around long enough, you'll hear the sounds of a full-grown banshee screeching.

Also, just looked in the field guide and the only "Pandoran animals" listed are the Banshee and Viperwolf.

Found it!

Stingbat: Stingbat | Avatar Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia

Stingbat.jpg

Banshees don't sleep upside down. This makes much more sense. And I meant the complete field guide, a full book that was once sold to coincide with the film that I believe epcyclopedia owns. I know the little hand out guides only have 2 animals. They should definitely have more listed.

This one was hard to find online though. But the feet, heads, and wings match perfectly with the ones in the cave. Plus you know, the upside-down thing too.

Last edited:
As popularity for these attractions won't wane too much over the summer, I didn't realize how cozy my experience was in Pandora thanks to staying onsite. I was able to get a FoP FastPass at the 60 day mark when allowed. Also, having a FastPass for one of the attractions is also a FP into the land as you can walk right up even if there's a line to get in. Not sure what the window is but they let us in about 30 minutes prior to the FP start time.

Also, as guests were no longer allowed in the land by 9pm (and let's face it.. I don't think the sun goes down until 8:30pm), pretty much the only guests that were really enjoying Pandora at night were onsite since the EMH hours of 11pm-1am are a huge plus. So you might want to consider this if Pandora is a real priority on your upcoming trips.

As popularity for these attractions won't wane too much over the summer, I didn't realize how cozy my experience was in Pandora thanks to staying onsite. I was able to get a FoP FastPass at the 60 day mark when allowed. Also, having a FastPass for one of the attractions is also a FP into the land as you can walk right up even if there's a line to get in. Not sure what the window is but they let us in about 30 minutes prior to the FP start time.

Also, as guests were no longer allowed in the land by 9pm (and let's face it.. I don't think the sun goes down until 8:30pm), pretty much the only guests that were really enjoying Pandora at night were onsite since the EMH hours of 11pm-1am are a huge plus. So you might want to consider this if Pandora is a real priority on your upcoming trips.

Going next weekend and staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge for my first time. Can't wait to explore Pandora.

It has some nice spots - it is extremely inconsistent though.

Like some areas are just blue washes, some are just those projected star fields of green dots (most oddly the bushes outside the land near Merchantile), and some are dark and then some have everything.

Sometimes it's Christmas lights, sometimes it's neon, sometimes it's a wash.

And since the land is open from 7am to 1am most days I doubt anything will change anytime soon.
Those green dot projections are scattered throughout the park. Sp its not part of Pandora... at least not exclusively

Found it!

Stingbat: Stingbat | Avatar Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia

View attachment 4581

Banshees don't sleep upside down. This makes much more sense. And I meant the complete field guide, a full book that was once sold to coincide with the film that I believe epcyclopedia owns. I know the little hand out guides only have 2 animals. They should definitely have more listed.

This one was hard to find online though. But the feet, heads, and wings match perfectly with the ones in the cave. Plus you know, the upside-down thing too.
Ok, that does make much more sense.... and thinking back to the movie, aren't stingbats basically Banshee lunch? :lol:

Reactions: Alicia
Ok, that does make much more sense.... and thinking back to the movie, aren't stingbats basically Banshee lunch? :lol:
Yes actually, although the wiki says they're fed on by forest banshees, not specifically mountain banshees (which apparently are different.)

Their diminished cerebral capacity also makes them common prey for larger predators such as the forest banshee, but their prodigious mating habits ensure a steady population.

Holy cow!! Would have never known! How cool!

WOW. I was sitting there watching the waterfalls for a good 15 minutes and thought how cool it was that Disney had created those little waterfalls. I would have never known. Nice detective work!!! #Disneydifference

That was an incorrect rumor. The color blotches we've been seeing on the mountains are the projection mappings. They're just pretty muted. They're mapped so the colors correspond to exact locations, like the green light is on the grassy parts for example. Rather than just random lights on the mountains, it's exact mapping. It's just not as extravagant as some were probably expecting.

Image from epcyclopedia's gallery:
9cd3a114_l.jpeg
Well that is disappointing. When I was there it just looked like the standard UV paint with sporadic basic projection effects.

The lightning was a beauty though from what i've seen:

That's some classy journalism, plastering emoji on their photos.

Reactions: Nick and Alicia