Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Came for probably the last time in quite awhile so I could see the land at night. Still can't get into windtraders without waiting for 60 minutes or so.

That highlights the flaw of Disney's red card system: it only reflects the wait time that many hours ago.

When you see long lines as WDWNT posted it's because a theater went down between updating the wait times board.

That's not quite how the red cards work.

Red cards go out a minimum of every 10 mins, usually every 5, often every few mins.

Within this the computer creates a table of the active cards. Order scanned and current running time clock and then the last few which made it to the final scan.

The computer can guess the wait time, but typically every 15-30 a coordinator or manager looks at the table and posts the wait time.

When it's really wrong it's human error. Smart coordinator and managers will bump the wait time by a known number the second they lose capacity for whatever reason.

Recap:

FLIK cards measure and show when the card was scanned, how long ago it was scanned, when it is scanned in, and in what order they were scanned.

It'll give them a lot more data points, so it will refresh more frequently if nothing else.

FLIK cards are scanned and sent to the last person in line and scanned right before grouping/boarding.

The RFID in Magic bands would require guests touch two points (and as we've seen with FP that's a choke point) to get the same data.

The long range RFID works for things like names on small world and posters in coaster because they don't need any kind of precision. You pass the area, it "sees" you.

To measure the line it needs to know you're at the end of the line - which could be nowhere near the sensor as many lines often go beyond any physical building - and then at the boarding area. Draw a circle around the loading area in many rides from any fixed point you might install a sensor. Now see how many parts of the queue it would "see" Magic bands in. There are often huge difference in what times from people at the various points it would pick up concurrently and be unable to distinguish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I just would have thought they would have used a beacon type system to somehow replace FLIK card data with magic band (or better yet, APP data from those that use the APP...oh wait, aren't those most MB users?)

Iger is and was on the board for apple, maybe beacons are one way or do not pin point close enough, but predictive analytics can do some amazing things!

I think I give companies too much credit sometimes.

Reactions: Joel
Came for probably the last time in quite awhile so I could see the land at night. Still can't get into windtraders without waiting for 60 minutes or so.

What is the deal with the gift shop? Is it too small? It's obviously the exit gift shop for the ride.. but don't understand why they're pulsing a line for it. It can't be smaller than Mr. Filch's.

What is the deal with the gift shop? Is it too small? It's obviously the exit gift shop for the ride.. but don't understand why they're pulsing a line for it. It can't be smaller than Mr. Filch's.
They aren't allowing people coming off of FoP to go into Windtraders upon exit. You need to queue up to get in. The only merch I've been able to see is at the cart by NRJ and the main store.

I do think it is rather small as well. Far too small for there only being one store in the land, imo.

Reactions: jtsalien

They aren't allowing people coming off of FoP to go into Windtraders upon exit. You need to queue up to get in. The only merch I've been able to see is at the cart by NRJ and the main store.

I do think it is rather small as well. Far too small for there only being one store in the land, imo.

To piggyback that, it's also something to do without having to wait in the ride lines. Since there's only 1 store, it makes the wait worse. Should have had 2 stores, on each side of the land. With Diagon, you have people getting ice cream, checking wands, checking robes, checking the store in Knockturn - they are spread across the land.

Reactions: jtsalien and Nick
Btw, I love your commentary on the land so far, but you were sort of implying (in the review thread) since you didn't enjoy FoP as much as others that people must've been biased. That may be true for a small few, but for a project so divisive to receive such praise almost across the board for its main ride isn't a bias.

I don't think I was implying any bias at all, especially on this forum.. This is Avatar we're talking about, an attraction whose thread dedicated to it was derailed every other page to question its relevance and if anyone would care once completed. Now it's being heralded as one of the top rides in Orlando. That means the project is really being judged on its own merits as it should be.

I personally didn't find the ride experience to have the wow factor I was expecting. It's a simulator in front a big dome screen, something I've done ad nauseam. BUT the total experience: the pre-shows, the tech, etc. is absolutely stellar.

To piggyback that, it's also something to do without having to wait in the ride lines. Since there's only 1 store, it makes the wait worse. Should have had 2 stores, on each side of the land. With Diagon, you have people getting ice cream, checking wands, checking robes, checking the store in Knockturn - they are spread across the land.
I think if anything major changes with this land over the next few years, a second store is the most likely thing to happen.

They're leaving money on the table - and remember, a % of all sales goes to Cameron, too.

BUT the total experience: the pre-shows, the tech, etc. is absolutely stellar.
Ehhh.... the awkward scientist guy in the FoP pre-show is pretty cringe-worthy :lol:

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Nick C., post: 580719, member: 3723"
Ehhh.... the awkward scientist guy in the FoP pre-show is pretty cringe-worthy :lol:[/QUOTE]

Lmao. Omg.. he was awful. "I'll..be right back. Put them in standby mode." We were standing by for 10 minutes! But still.. the screen quality was incredible.

Also, we had FP and got booed by the regular line when we turned the corner before they put us in the pre-show rooms. I don't blame them when the posted wait was 240.

Reactions: Nick
Lmao. Omg.. he was awful. "I'll..be right back. Put them in standby mode." We were standing by for 10 minutes! But still.. the screen quality was incredible.

Also, we had FP and got booed by the regular line when we turned the corner before they put us in the pre-show rooms. I don't blame them when the posted wait was 240.

And thus is why they do test/adjust.. where poor CMs had to stand there for 20mins with the AC off, only to have the show restart, and for the people spot indicators to only partially show or light up (I still dont understand how that happened.. it's not a light behind a cutout.. but like half of an indicator randomly went dead.) Or you could just wing it with your multimillion dollar investment - with the press watching.. *coughcoughvolcanobaycough*

They are -now- spread across the land. Quality Quiddich still doesnt use some of its doors to control crowd flow.. Remember when every shop had a queue? Remember the Owl pellet shop thingy that was Malkin's?

Where is the Neytiri figure located? I've seen some people post pics with it but I didn't catch it while in the land.

I personally didn't find the ride experience to have the wow factor I was expecting. It's a simulator in front a big dome screen, something I've done ad nauseam. BUT the total experience: the pre-shows, the tech, etc. is absolutely stellar.

I guess the ride profile can be pretty subjective. Like I love Spidey to death, but really don't enjoy Transformers. I just don't find the effects and movements anywhere near as fun or convincing. But for me, FoP reached Spidey heights. The flying sensations and drops were right on point. And it's probably my favorite misting effects in Orlando. Unfortunately, those are the key to the ride. So if that doesn't work for you I can see it being a bit of a disappointment.

Reactions: Jones14 and Nick
Kevin Yee just put up his second Pandora article on Mice Chat. This one is from opening day. His previous article was from the Media Day. This article mostly concentrates on the night Pandora. He basically said it looks better in photos than in person. He again said good things on FOP, saying he even enjoyed his second ride more than the first. That's always a good sign of a ride's quality. He also mentioned that some effects that he saw during the Media Day weren't fully working on opening day.....Good article overall and a nice read.

Reactions: jtsalien and Joel
So today is the first day CMs are unblocked since it opened.

FoP line is twice or more of Na'vi River. (120 vs 240 right now but earlier 90 vs 240) and they have the line to enter the land back up.

So word seems to have spread among the CMs about River Journey. But CMs also had open access to it during their previews while FOP was extremely limited.

Last night they kept the land open until EMH but stopped people getting in lines around 8-9, particularly FOP. I think River just did so at the very end before EMH to clear the line.

And to note - with main gate guest admissions still blocked that's a decent chunk of daily guests in the park, especially for a new offering. Will be interesting to see how things fluctuate as block outs end.

My second time on FoP was this morning. There were link chair effects and lighting I did not get during previews. The back lock vibrates in pulses to indicate linking. Plus during the ride they use the motion to simulate tiny bumps. So, vibrations! New to me.

And I did like the ride even more the second time.

Hmm.. there's a very nasty storm coming through the area shortly..

Do i hop in my car and and go check out Pandora at night since it will certainly scare off the tourists?