Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Official "Use of Screenz" Thread

I just read the past few pages and thought it interesting that no one has really brought up Flight of Passage as a major jump in screen-based ride technology. It far surpasses anything Universal has done IMO, as far as immersion goes.
Absolutely. Flight of Passage simulates free falling better than any other simulators in Orlando.

With all the new announcements for D23 there are sure a lot of screenz in there:
- Ratatouille
- Millennium Falcon ride
- Star Wars screenz hotel
- Mission Mars screenz restaurant+new ride movie
- New screenz in China
- Tron Coaster
- The Mickey ride

With all the new announcements for D23 there are sure a lot of screenz in there:
- Ratatouille
- Millennium Falcon ride
- Star Wars screenz hotel
- Mission Mars screenz restaurant+new ride movie
- New screenz in China
- Tron Coaster
- The Mickey ride
The Tron coaster, a China 360 movie (been there since park open) and a hotel hardly count as screen attractions, but yes, WDW (mostly Epcot and DHS) are getting heavy on screens.

Also Guardians, Mickey, Battle Escape (and Rat to an extent) will all be a mix of screens and practical sets. GotG is said to have show scenes. It's not like you're just going to be staring at screens your entire ride.

I'd say WDW will have the perfect mix of screens and old school rides. Look at Navi River Journey for an example of how Disney beautifully blended screens and sets... expect that at almost all of the new rides.

And yes this is a "screenz" thread, but I think the larger problem people have with most rides is too much 3D because of motion sickness issues. It seems Disney is trying to avoid 3D where possible (Mickey won't be 3D for example, but easily could've been).

The Tron coaster, a China 360 movie (been there since park open) and a hotel hardly count as screen attractions, but yes, WDW (mostly Epcot and DHS) are getting heavy on screens.

Also Guardians, Mickey, Battle Escape (and Rat to an extent) will all be a mix of screens and practical sets. GotG is said to have show scenes. It's not like you're just going to be staring at screens your entire ride.

I'd say WDW will have the perfect mix of screens and old school rides. Look at Navi River Journey for an example of how Disney beautifully blended screens and sets... expect that at almost all of the new rides.

And yes this is a "screenz" thread, but I think the larger problem people have with most rides is too much 3D because of motion sickness issues. It seems Disney is trying to avoid screes where possible (Mickey won't be 3D for example, but easily could've been).
My guess is they didn't want to open 2 LPS 3D screen rides based on rodents simultaneously.

And yes this is a "screenz" thread, but I think the larger problem people have with most rides is too much 3D because of motion sickness issues. It seems Disney is trying to avoid 3D where possible (Mickey won't be 3D for example, but easily could've been).
I didn't mention the word "attractions". But Tron uses extensive screenz in it's dark ride part (besides mirrors) to make it look to go faster then it does. And the China screenz attraction is being replaced by a new screenz attraction. It's not just an update on the movie but they finally get rid of the vertical lines (and projection points) between the screens. They also could have forced a Mulan ride/show in there but they don't it's another screenz attraction where the money is going. Don't get me wrong, it's not a complaint (if it's done well) just an observation. After both Avatar Rides it looks like screenz are there to stay, also for Disney.

I didn't mention the word "attractions". But Tron uses extensive screenz in it's dark ride part (besides mirrors) to make it look to go faster then it does. And the China screenz attraction is being replaced by a new screenz attraction. It's not just an update on the movie but they finally get rid of the vertical lines (and projection points) between the screens. They also could have forced a Mulan ride/show in there but they don't it's another screenz attraction where the money is going. Don't get me wrong, it's not a complaint (if it's done well) just an observation. After both Avatar Rides it looks like screenz are there to stay, also for Disney.
For the foreseeable future, screens will always be a part of attractions now. Even if it's just used sporadically in the ride or it's a main component, as of right now, I don't see a major ride being built in the near future without screens.

The issue arises when the ride uses almost all screens or like in USF's case, you have a ton of 3D attractions all right next to each other, which honestly can wear you out.

As for China, I'm glad they are just updating the film and not shoving Mulan in there. Updating Circle-vision is staying true to original EPCOT. GotG is the opposite of that.

For the foreseeable future, screens will always be a part of attractions now. Even if it's just used sporadically in the ride or it's a main component, as of right now, I don't see a major ride being built in the near future without screens.

tenor.gif

As for China, I'm glad they are just updating the film and not shoving Mulan in there.

Martin seems to believe otherwise.

I'm cool with updating the circlevision 360 show... unless they screw it up. Was there actually a Milan ride planned or is Martin just sad to see the film go?

Martin seems to imply that the new Circlevision show will involve Mulan.

I wonder what all the Disney fanboys will say about all the obvious "screenz" coming to WDW.

I'm seeing plenty of ambivalence in other venues about this subject. Perhaps they're not fanboyish enough.

On tron you're not stopping and sitting in front of one for 30-40 seconds, which is a main issue with the last batch of attractions Universal has designed

Something I read last week, but it skipped my mind until now. Touring Plans, which has a pretty large, primarily Disney, viewership, had an article on the top guest satisfaction ratings attractions (per TP) at WDW. Strangely enough, the top three attractions were primarily SCREENZ attractions. Flight of Passage, Soarin & Toy Story Midway Mania. That really made me laugh.:censored: :doh: :lol:....Heck, if Soarin & Toy Story were at Universal, they wouldn't even be in my top ten attractions. :ack:

Something I read last week, but it skipped my mind until now. Touring Plans, which has a pretty large, primarily Disney, viewership, had an article on the top guest satisfaction ratings attractions (per TP) at WDW. Strangely enough, the top three attractions were primarily SCREENZ attractions. Flight of Passage, Soarin & Toy Story Midway Mania. That really made me laugh.:censored: :doh: :lol:....Heck, if Soarin & Toy Story were at Universal, they wouldn't even be in my top ten attractions. :ack:
They aren't even in my top ten at Disney, well maybe soarin', but most definitely not TSMM.