Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without new content, the IP will age. It's still possible more is coming, but right now the IP seems a bit stagnate. Then again I was never the biggest Potter fan to begin with, so maybe I'm just being biased. I just don't think Future generations will be ever as excited as the previous generation of readers.

Star Wars is bigger than ever. The media and merchandise machine is non stop.

I don't see a lot of Harry Potter merchandise or toys in Target these days. The movies / books are frequently on clearance racks.
Fantastic Beasts underperformed.

We will see if Potter Ride 3 will be a huge success, but I think UOR needs to keep trying new things (like Nintendo world) if it wants to stay ahead of Disney.

Just my opinion. Don't kill me.

I think both sides are true. Harry Potter is a property that will never truly die, as people will introduce it to their children, and their children's children, and so on. It will lower in popularity over the years, but Cinderella's castle manages to remain iconic, classic, and beloved at MK despite us not getting a Cinderella movie in years (sshh, I know, but you get my point)

However, I do think they shouldn't bank on HP forever. Some new attractions will be nice but they won't draw in too many people that aren't already drawn to those areas, unlike SNW or even stuff like DreamWorks which have the potential to draw new crowds.

It took Knott's 3 weeks to dismantle Boomerang (a standard Vekoma boomerang). DC will definitely be scrapped.

To be fair, they could only dismantle Boomerang when the park was closed because it's location. It could have been done much faster if it was tucked in a corner out of the way. With that said, I agree that Dragons will likely be scrapped.

To be fair, they could only dismantle Boomerang when the park was closed because it's location. It could have been done much faster if it was tucked in a corner out of the way. With that said, I agree that Dragons will likely be scrapped.

That's a lotta welded steel added over the years to keep it from falling down. Bet scrap from welded bits alone could finance the whole new ride.

Without new content, the IP will age. It's still possible more is coming, but right now the IP seems a bit stagnate. Then again I was never the biggest Potter fan to begin with, so maybe I'm just being biased. I just don't think Future generations will be ever as excited as the previous generation of readers.

Star Wars is bigger than ever. The media and merchandise machine is non stop.

I don't see a lot of Harry Potter merchandise or toys in Target these days. The movies / books are frequently on clearance racks.
Fantastic Beasts underperformed.

We will see if Potter Ride 3 will be a huge success, but I think UOR needs to keep trying new things (like Nintendo world) if it wants to stay ahead of Disney.

Just my opinion. Don't kill me.
7DMT, Tron, Mission to Mars, Mickey shorts, Ratatouille, non of these ip's are happening or have legs or a huge following. If it's a good ride and good theming people love it. Beyond that books have a much longer life than movies and The Wizarding World ip is not only a bestselling book series, website, stage play and multiple movie franchise but above all a modern classic.
Even when Star Wars was dead in the water, even with the painful prequel the ip stayed strong. I'm positive, milking the cow dry (something Disney is known for), that ip will have less life in it than you might think. But in the end a great ride will have enough pull to sell tickets, food and souvenirs.

I think the main difference here is that the families that have been to "potter land" have already been, and opening another ride under the same IP will have diminished returns, regardless how popular.

Harry Potter is also an aging IP, unlike Star Wars which has a new film release every year, and seems to be more popular than ever. I don't think Fantastic Beasts was the big hit they were expecting either.

Magic kingdom doesn't need Tron to attract insane crowds. Avatar will be old news by the time these open.

I think Nintendo land has the real chance of bringing a lot more families, especially considering the popularity of the switch.

Now if UOR ever gets that iron man flying coaster off the ground, then we are talking.
I would rather have a new Marvel ride before HP at this point.

Keep in mind, too, that the theme park Wizarding Worlds can sometimes serve to create new fans of the series and as a result help to keep the Potter IP relevant and thriving.

In at least some cases (my family's, for example) the "Potter Lands" actually create brand new interest in the books and movies that wasn't there before.

My kids never watched a Potter film or read a Potter book until after we experienced Wizarding World at Universal. Now they watch them all the time.

Keep in mind, too, that the theme park Wizarding Worlds can sometimes serve to create new fans of the series and as a result help to keep the Potter IP relevant and thriving.

In at least some cases (my family's, for example) the "Potter Lands" actually create brand new interest in the books and movies that wasn't there before.

My kids never watched a Potter film or read a Potter book until after we experienced Wizarding World at Universal. Now they watch them all the time.
This!!!........What Universal has done with Potter is amazing. The Potter lands are just about always packed. New attractions will actually reinvigorate interest more. Diagon & Hogsmeade never get old. There's so much to see and experience, and listening to that beautiful music, that every time I step into those two lands, I am fulfilled and want more. And I never saw more than a few minutes of a Potter movie or read a Potter book before I went to Universal Potter....Potter is the ultimate in what an immersive land ought to be. Universal/Warner/Rowling unlocked the secret here. Some competing lands have good attractions and are beautiful, but they lack the pure immersion:thumbsup:, the easy to follow story:thumbsup:, and the so many things to do:thumbsup:, see:thumbsup: and hear :thumbsup:that Potter Universal does sooooo well.....I just can't ever imagine there being too much Potter at Universal. :):thumbsup:

I've likely said this all before.

No B&M should be sent to the scrap yArd outside of what happened with Hulk. An average B&M is better than 90% of what's out there.

If B&M is truly upset, offer the ride back to them to remarket outside of the US.
It.

If I was Universal, I'd contract B&M to disassemble and refurbish it and with ship it to the Chinese park and do a Dueling Dragon there where liability is less of an issue if that is what really stopped that aspect of the ride or put it back into the proposed 4th gate as a HTTYD themed coaster or something else but in either senario do more thematic immersion like adding tunnels and such.

This is why I want the intimin bike coaster

Imagine that with one or two show stops at the launches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've likely said this all before.

No B&M should be sent to the scrap yArd outside of what happened with Hulk. An average B&M is better than 90% of what's out there.

If B&M is truly upset, offer the ride back to them to remarket outside of the US.
It.

If I was Universal, I'd contract B&M to disassemble and refurbish it and with ship it to the Chinese park and do a Dueling Dragon there where liability is less of an issue if that is what really stopped that aspect of the ride or put it back into the proposed 4th gate as a HTTYD themed coaster or something else but in either senario do more thematic immersion like adding tunnels and such.

This is why I want the intimin bike coaster

Imagine that with one or two show stops at the launches.

I don't think a B&M coaster is what it used to be.

It's a shame to lose the track forever but Universal aren't exactly a company who look to the past. If destroying the track means they can open this attraction a few months earlier, they're going to do it.

Before 2012, would you have called Star Wars an aging IP that people were losing interest in? C'mooooon.

It's interesting reading the timeline of Star Wars as an IP and how similar that could be to HP.

2005: Last Prequel is released and Star Tours 2 is announced
2011: Star Tours 2 opens
2012: Disney buy Lucasfilm
2015: The Force Awakens is released

You can view HP as being an aging IP but as long as the Fantastic Beasts films are happening, HP will still be alive and relevant and I don't doubt for a second that HP won't do what Star Wars did and bring back the original cast in 20 years for a new film and start the whole process again.

Before 2012, would you have called Star Wars an aging IP that people were losing interest in? C'mooooon.

It may have been in disarray, but there were still plenty of books, video games, and other media to keep the general public occupied.

However I'm not talking about 2012. I'm talking about 2017 and beyond, where The force awakens is one of the most successful movies of all time, and there is tons of new content coming.

Going back to Potter is really just reaching into the same bucket of gold. Eventually you need to find a new bucket if you want to expand.

Nintendo land is definitely a new bucket.
The new rumored park is definilty a new bucket (unless they fill it with more Harry Potter rides).

I think it would make more sense to expand the Marvel land while the IP is still super hot, before messing with more Potter rides.

Or you could maybe in turn see your own personal bias.

There are plenty of people out there that couldn't care less about the boy wizard.
And then there are crazy fanatics that will travel halfway across the world to see anything HP related.

I think Star Wars has more fans worldwide. But don't discount how hardcore some HP fans will always be, especially the homegrown UK fans that fly here for anything new when it opens first week.

Going back to Potter is really just reaching into the same bucket of gold. Eventually you need to find a new bucket if you want to expand.

Nintendo land is definitely a new bucket.
The new rumored park is definilty a new bucket (unless they fill it with more Harry Potter rides).

I think it would make more sense to expand the Marvel land while the IP is still super hot, before messing with more Potter rides.
It would be one thing if Universal keeps replacing other lands or rides with more HP, but at least in this case they're plussing an already Potter themed part of their parks. Dragon Challenge becoming something more suitable for the land it's already in isn't so much reaching into the same bucket of gold as it is finally completing an existing experience in my eyes.

It would be one thing if Universal keeps replacing other lands or rides with more HP, but at least in this case they're plussing an already Potter themed part of their parks. Dragon Challenge becoming something more suitable for the land it's already in isn't so much reaching into the same bucket of gold as it is finally completing an existing experience in my eyes.

Was just about to post on this very point. This isn't an expansion of the Wizarding World, it is an upgrade of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.