Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Universal doesn't need another Harry Potter to keep chipping away? However, I believe SWL will put the title of "must do" back into the pockets of Disney.

The numbers clearly show the Magic Kingdom never lost that title, nor will it any time soon. But Universal was never going for MK-like numbers, nor could they really physically get there. But Universal continues to bank on the fact that Disney's 3 secondary theme parks don't have the draw the MK does. DHS might get there with Star Wars (though the park physically can't match MK's numbers), but EPCOT and DAK still are nowhere near there, and I don't think anything coming the next 5 years will change that. People are still gonna come to Uni to see Potter, and Nintendo stands to be so revolutionary that people will go out of their way to see it.

Reactions: USO92 and DK745
Certainly not arguing that either property (Nintendo/Kong/Transformers) aren't viable options or that anything coming down the pike wouldn't be either.

Maybe Universal doesn't need another Harry Potter to keep chipping away? However, I believe SWL will put the title of "must do" back into the pockets of Disney.

We're living in a period of both resorts pulling out their big guns. Even if this gives a better boost to Disney, I don't think it will diminish anything that Universal does.

Competition is healthy and we, the guest and fans will benefit but what Disney or Universal do, will also benefit each other. Nintendo might bring people who would never visit before who will probably visit Disney and Nintendo will probably encourage people to visit Universal who might only go to Disney for Star Wars.

It's a win win for everybody.

We're planning a mega trip for 2021, possibly 3-4 weeks where we literally do every park multiple times, but it'll be at the expense of a visit in 2019 & 2020.

I feel like Universal need to put a lot of focus on their existing rides in this time period. It's undeniable that MK will go through a big refresh and refurb for the 50th...it's what they did at DL & DLP. Epcot, according to Marni is down for multiple upgrades too.

There's areas of Islands which already look dated in my eyes...but it wouldn't be a difficult fix. New AAs at the River Adventure are a must. They should do something with Ripsaws internal theming & they have to improve Marvel. There's so much potential for themed dining for one...and the general look and feel needs an update. Fantastic Four are not what most people think of when they think Marvel in 2017.

I've recently been getting quite reminiscent about USF and I'm starting to get slightly irritated by the current state of the park and the direction it's heading. Looking back to when it first opened, it was all about riding the movies and how movies are made. Potter, Simpsons, Nintendo and a few others just don't belong in that park and I think the park has completely lost its way and is now just a generic park.

To get this back on topic, I think IOA has stayed true to its form and I think Potter and this expansion fits the vibe of the park perfectly.

I think Universal Studios is a worse park now than in 2000, despite the addition of some individually great rides since. Collectively, the experiences don't tally up to as memorable experience as 2000, in my opinion.

Look at an old park map from 2000 and I don't think it's a laughable comment at all. As I say they've added some great rides, but collectively as an experience it isn't as enjoyable for me. Some of these great rides replaced great rides.

Personally, I have to respectfully disagree with that. Although, that's my opinion just as much as you have yours.

The Emoji Movie!!!!

giphy.gif

Reactions: tankart150
Look at an old park map from 2000 and I don't think it's a laughable comment at all. As I say they've added some great rides, but collectively as an experience it isn't as enjoyable for me. Some of these great rides replaced great rides.

I think it's a valid point, individually, the rides are pretty solid but collectively, there is less variation in the ride types now compared to then.

I think this borders on a Screenz debate and I think the past few years are just turning out to be a phase that I think Universal are going to get past pretty quickly.

Personally, I have to respectfully disagree with that. Although, that's my opinion just as much as you have yours.

...and that's fine. It's my own preference and my own experiences. I just didn't enjoy the place as much this year as it felt very samey and I started to reminisce. Perhaps, slightly through nostalgic eyes for lost attractions, perhaps as a rejection of the screen city entrance plaza, maybe the loss of great AA rides like Kong & Jaws (ET was also shut this trip that didn't help) I don't know...it's just how I saw things in that particular park this time around.

I think it's a valid point, individually, the rides are pretty solid but collectively, there is less variation in the ride types now compared to then.

I think this borders on a Screenz debate and I think the past few years are just turning out to be a phase that I think Universal are going to get past pretty quickly.

It is heading into a screen debate but I just want to make 1 final point. Gringotts, Spiderman & FJ are in my favourite 3 rides on the planet. I like screens...but I like variety when I visit a park. I hope this third Potter ride shifts the balance towards AAs with supporting screens...and then we'll have 3 Harry Potter rides with a great mixture.

I think some people are thinking about this all wrong when looking at Star Wars. I don't think this is going to be designed to 'out do' Star Wars, but rather to complement it. Once families are done with Star Wars they'll also have a brand new major Potter ride down the road for the extra days of their trip.

Is that the same for Ellen's and GMR?

They close on the 13th of this month. :)

Reactions: Joel
Didn't realize the Dragon Challenge last day, September 4, is Labor Day. No wonder they're keeping it open through a Monday. Makes sense now.
The Dragon goes down in a blaze of glory. They should have the Gringotts Dragon shoot a ball of flame synonymous with the last DC train departure on Labor Day evening.

Reactions: JMalez
Honestly, I think the only park that will truly suffer from all this expansion is DAK. In the next four years:

- USF: Super Nintendo World, F&F
- IOA: Hogsmeade expansion/Forbidden Forest attracion
- Potentially a third gate
- MK: Tron, new major stage show
- Epcot: Guardians of the Galaxy, Ratatouille
- DHS: Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, Toy Story Land, Mickey Mouse

That leaves DAK with... literally no new attractions coming up. And I think when people have to decide between going to Star Wars, Harry Potter, Nintendo, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Avatar... nobody's gonna choose Avatar. :cautious:

Reactions: chewbacca1995
Status
Not open for further replies.