Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

New Project for Dinoland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imminent does not mean before 2018, right? I would hate to see this ride down during our trip in November.

I personally just hate the idea of some white guy's jeep adventure ride through Some South American Country being the replacement for Dinoland. I really think it's in bad taste given the potential for a huge South America land behind Asia, one I've been dreaming of for years, and also given that it'd just be such a mediocre representation of the indigenous peoples of the land. I may not always agree with Rohde and Imagineering, but they've always shown an affinity towards indigenous cultures and I appreciate that in rides like Everest. I hope they don't let South Americans down with that IJ clone ride and instead think of something else, like revamping the Beastly Kingdom concept.

I personally just hate the idea of some white guy's jeep adventure ride through Some South American Country being the replacement for Dinoland. I really think it's in bad taste given the potential for a huge South America land behind Asia, one I've been dreaming of for years, and also given that it'd just be such a mediocre representation of the indigenous peoples of the land. I may not always agree with Rohde and Imagineering, but they've always shown an affinity towards indigenous cultures and I appreciate that in rides like Everest. I hope they don't let South Americans down with that IJ clone ride and instead think of something else, like revamping the Beastly Kingdom concept.

Agree with this in a big way

Beastly Kingdom, is a dead concept. If they seriously wanted to do that, Pandora probably wouldn't be at DAK.

To be honest, there is no way that I could see them do a clone of IJA for that attraction. It would have to follow a different story altogether, and to use the current infastructure if they are wanting something at DAK by the 50th. And that it would fit in better at Disney Animal Kingdom, to have an Southern American area than freaking dinosaurs.

It would also allow more tourism from that market to come over, especially if Brazil is happening for Epcot; it'd allow Disney to easily market to demographics in South America more than before.

South America for DAK would be a good replacement for Dinoland, as they can still celebrate the natural beauty of the continent, with also bringing something that thematically works.

Beastly Kingdom, is a dead concept. If they seriously wanted to do that, Pandora probably wouldn't be at DAK.

To be honest, there is no way that I could see them do a clone of IJA for that attraction. It would have to follow a different story altogether, and to use the current infastructure if they are wanting something at DAK by the 50th. And that it would fit in better at Disney Animal Kingdom, to have an Southern American area than freaking dinosaurs.

It would also allow more tourism from that market to come over, especially if Brazil is happening for Epcot; it'd allow Disney to easily market to demographics in South America more than before.

South America for DAK would be a good replacement for Dinoland, as they can still celebrate the natural beauty of the continent, with also bringing something that thematically works.

I would disagree with that. I don't think a revamped Beastly Kingdom is out of the question at all. After all, it was still a great concept, and there is still mystical creatures referenced in the park and it parking lot. The question is, how would they revamp it? I don't think the inverted coaster would still be in the plans, thanks to Universal

I would disagree with that. I don't think a revamped Beastly Kingdom is out of the question at all. After all, it was still a great concept, and there is still mystical creatures referenced in the park and it parking lot. The question is, how would they revamp it? I don't think the inverted coaster would still be in the plans, thanks to Universal

AFAIR, They removed the references of Beastly Kingdom around the park and the parking lot. I could be proven wrong, but I don't believe that is the case anymore.

AFAIR, They removed the references of Beastly Kingdom around the park and the parking lot. I could be proven wrong, but I don't believe that is the case anymore.
Unicorn is still a parking lot and the dragon silhouette can still be seen on on ALL signage and a bust of a dragon is still above the left ticket booth.

Edit: And dragons are on all benches, lamp posts and garbage cans near entrance through the Oasis and Discovery Island.

DOUBLE EDIT: All that said, Beastly Kingdom died when IOA and Lost Continent opened. Without a strong IP attached, I don't see it ever coming to Animal Kingdom in today's climate.

Unicorn is still a parking lot and the dragon silhouette can still be seen on on ALL signage and a bust of a dragon is still above the left ticket booth.

Edit: And dragons are on all benches, lamp posts and garbage cans near entrance through the Oasis and Discovery Island.
Then my mistake, I thought he was assuming the sign that was at the front of the entrance that was taken down.

But that I have to wonder if those will change, but who knows.

Then my mistake, I thought he was assuming the sign that was at the front of the entrance that was taken down.

But that I have to wonder if those will change, but who knows.
I think that sign near bus turnaround was removed when they added the third dropoff to better the flow of foot traffic, that's all. People would stop to take a photo and it blocked the path right where the new turnaround dumped.

All that said, Beastly Kingdom died when IOA and Lost Continent opened. Without a strong IP attached, I don't see it ever coming to Animal Kingdom in today's climate.

But now with Lost Continent losing its limbs to Potter (and DD being removed completely) I think it bares little to no resemblance to Beastly Kingdom, in my opinion. While it still may be wise to stay away from dragons, Disney could now do it without too much comparison.

"Mythology" is so vague and plentiful it could refer to 100 different things. I think Beastly Kingdom still has a chance, IP or no IP. Is Disney willing to create an original land of this scale any time soon? Absolutely not. But the concept still has merit.

But now with Lost Continent losing its limbs to Potter (and DD being removed completely) I think it bares little to no resemblance to Beastly Kingdom, in my opinion. While it still may be wise to stay away from dragons, Disney could now do it without too much comparison.

"Mythology" is so vague and plentiful it could refer to 100 different things. I think Beastly Kingdom still has a chance, IP or no IP. Is Disney willing to create an original land of this scale any time soon? Absolutely not. But the concept still has merit.
More than anything, over time Lost Continent has shown that a mythological land not tied to an IP doesn't have lasting power.

As legend goes, many of the Imagineers that worked on Beastly Kingdom left to work for Universal and created Lost Continent. So in Disney's eyes, it has already been done and they're moving on to new things, unfortunately.

More than anything, over time Lost Continent has shown that a mythological land not tied to an IP doesn't have lasting power.

As legend goes, many of the Imagineers that worked on Beastly Kingdom left to work for Universal and created Lost Continent. So in Disney's eyes, it has already been done and they're moving on to new things, unfortunately.
Phantasia had mythical creatures in it. It would be great to slap that ip on there and the classical music is licence free. It would have been much better than genitaltail land imho.

Phantasia had mythical creatures in it. It would be great to slap that ip on there and the classical music is licence free. It would have been much better than genitaltail land imho.
Fantasia is practically not an IP if you were to ask the bean counters. The original film underperformed and the 2000 film underperformed. Other than Sorcerer Mickey and some topiaries at Epcot I don't see it being used for much.

Also, one of the rides pitched for Beastly Kingdomme was based on Fantasia. On the side with the unicorn section and hedge maze.

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

Following from here:
In those Grecian temples would be a family dark-ride themed to Walt Disney’s 1940 hit Fantasia, and specifically the Dance of the Hours segment featuring ballet-dancing hippos, crocodiles, and ostriches. Besides the thrill-packed DINOSAUR, Animal Kingdom had no dark rides, and this fanciful family affair would perforrm a sort of “Small World” duty in the park – musical, simple, and beautiful.​

So people don't want Indiana Jones in spite of it at least bringing along some South American animal exhibits with it, but they want to revive a concept dedicated to animals that aren't extinct but never even existed in the first place? Yeah, because that fits the theme of the park.

So people don't want Indiana Jones in spite of it at least bringing along some South American animal exhibits with it, but they want to revive a concept dedicated to animals that aren't extinct but never even existed in the first place? Yeah, because that fits the theme of the park.
Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.

— Michael D. Eisner, April 22, 1998​

Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.

— Michael D. Eisner, April 22, 1998​

And ultimately, they went with dinosaurs, didn't they?

And ultimately, they went with dinosaurs, didn't they?
When the park opened Beastly Kingdom was planned for expansion within a couple years. That's why he specifically mentions dragons. And why dragons, unicorns and pegasus are still found on branded signage.

The Yeti filled the "imagined" void after Beastly Kingdom was canceled. So the three types of animals still exist in the park: real, ancient and imagined.

If we lose dinosaurs, we lose ancient, one of the three types of tenants of the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.