Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hurricane Irma

Glad you all or safe and the damage isn't too bad. Now starts the cleanup process. Hard to believe the parks are gonna be open tomorrow. But they have people that are on vacation and have to do what they can to cater to them. Hope things are back to normal by the time HHN starts up

So, Hurricane Jose was last seen getting lost and wandering out into the Atlantic by his lonesome. I looked at his status on the National Hurricane Center website and it looks like he is changing course. They show him doing a loop-de-loop (well, more of a 270 than a 360) and potentially heading straight at Florida. Obviously, it is too early to tell what he will do (he could complete the loop and head on out to sea for that matter) but their track shows him making landfall.

Of course getting to Orlando remains a challenge - MCO not reopened yet, roads a challenge, and airlines scrambling to get all their equipment back in the right places!
So if someone is driving down this Friday from D.C. To stay at cabana bay, will it be safe, driveable. I've experienced blizzards in New England where everyone tries to pretend like their isn't 10 ft of snow and whiteout conditions but I don't know anything of hurricanes. I'm from jersey and when sandy hit it was like a year of people starring and not knowing what to do

So, Hurricane Jose was last seen getting lost and wandering out into the Atlantic by his lonesome. I looked at his status on the National Hurricane Center website and it looks like he is changing course. They show him doing a loop-de-loop (well, more of a 270 than a 360) and potentially heading straight at Florida. Obviously, it is too early to tell what he will do (he could complete the loop and head on out to sea for that matter) but their track shows him making landfall.
Last I saw was the NHC say Florida has nothing to worry about. I think the Miami herald reported majority of tracks have jose going north and not effecting Florida at all.

Of course with all tropical systems nothing is perfected. I saw it in 2004 living on the east coast of palm beach with Francis. Jean. Charlie.

However I feel confident they expect no legit impact to Florida with Jose. But all it takes is one low pressure system to pop up lol welcome to September

The long range GFS and Euro models have him going North after the loop and maybe doing a drive by on North Carolina and New England. Granted we are talking 5-6 days out, so everything is still on the table.

So if someone is driving down this Friday from D.C. To stay at cabana bay, will it be safe, driveable. I've experienced blizzards in New England where everyone tries to pretend like their isn't 10 ft of snow and whiteout conditions but I don't know anything of hurricanes. I'm from jersey and when sandy hit it was like a year of people starring and not knowing what to do
You've got a couple days for flooding to subside in Jacksonville. But who knows what they find after the water disappears. Just expect to drive 95 to I-4 but have the backup in mind to cut across Georgia and go down 75 if you have to. You should be ok on Friday. Keep an eye on everything in the effected areas

I95 through the Carolinas & Georgia gets dicey. I ran into tons of problems in Oct. 2015 with that Tropical Storm that stayed on S. Carolinas coast forever and then last year leaving Florida in advance of Matthew. In 2015 I95 closed, while I was going south, for over a week, and I made it through 30 minutes before it shut down. Downed trees everywhere on I95 and the bridges flooded. With Matthew in 2016 Oct. , just after I got through, and the hurricane hit those areas, they shut down sections of I95 and other roads in the Carolina (they shut down the main east west S'Carolina road to everyone before Matthew arrived, and we were only able to get across the state to get on I77 north when a nice guy at a gas station showed us a small 2 lane rural unlighted road that took us from east to west near Columbia). . It was a real pain trying to get through those areas before they flooded.S. Carolina is really bad when they get lots of lots of rain since their infrastructure doesn't handle it well. ...Hopefully, by Friday, you might be OK if the next hurricane doesn't drop more rain, but I would religiously check what the water/flood conditions are after this runs it's course......and, Welcome to the Forums. :thumbsup::cheers:

Last edited:
I95 through the Carolinas & Georgia gets dicey. I ran into tons of problems in Oct. 2015 with that Tropical Storm that stayed on S. Carolinas coast forever and then last year leaving Florida in advance of Matthew. In 2015 I95 closed, while I was going south, for over a week, and I made it through 30 minutes before it shut down. Downed trees everywhere and the bridges flooded. With Matthew, just after I got through, and the hurricane hit those areas, they shut down sections of I95 and other roads in the Carolina. It was a real pain trying to get through those areas before they flooded....Hopefully, by Friday, you might be OK if the next hurricane doesn't drop more rain, but I would religiously check what the water/flood conditions are after this runs it's course.
For sure I'm checking daily as my trips next Friday (9/22) I plan to go across 85 to Atlanta and down 75 if I have to bypass 95. The main cities will have the resources to fix up quick. But the small yule county type interstates is what you have to watch out for

The damage here In Florida Is more than anyone in my neighborhood expected. 70% of the trees in my neighborhood derooted, blocking streets, and crashed on houses. It's pretty bad but nothing too bad happened to anyone. Tornado warnings were put up, and I'm pretty sure it hit us.
Edit: damage here in Miami is what I meant.

Well, we never lost power here thankfully. We did lose cable and internet around 1, and cell service around 4. Internet finally came around 7-ish PM (I think, I took a much needed nap :lol: )

As far the storm, we were pretty much under tornado warning after warning from 6pm til midnight. Winds really started picking up around 10ish.

A lot of trees, branches, and the like fell down in my complex. The main concern was this big tree.

Noticed around midnight that the sidewalk started lifting. Moved my car immediately as that would have been where the tree landed. We knew with the change in track that we would be getting heavier winds so we moved my friend's wife and son into the closet just in case. I stayed up until the tree fell around 330. For a strong Cat 1 - this was pretty rough on Orlando. I don't think this city could handle a 3 and up (not that many outside of South Florida could).

As far as driving, Charleston and Savannah are not in great shape right now either with flooding and road damage, so I would avoid driving the coast.

The long range GFS and Euro models have him going North after the loop and maybe doing a drive by on North Carolina and New England. Granted we are talking 5-6 days out, so everything is still on the table.

Yes, it looks like it is projected to turn away. I just hope that he doesn't hit land. We've had enough this year. Granted, the CAT's over the past few years have been manageable but I think that we have hurricane-fatigue.

I have power again!

Let's hope next year we take a break from hurricanes. This is the second year in a row for Central Florida. And we're losing a lot of trees in my neighborhood.

This was the worst in my neighborhood, house behind ours.
IMG_2653.JPG

We drove around yesterday. Lots of trees fallen into power lines. (Not the best photo, but there's two downed poles pulled down by a tree on wires.)
IMG_2654.JPG

We saw a little bit of flooding near us, but luckily nothing affecting us directly.

Glad to be back online. :clap:

As expected, rough day at AK.

Kali River Rapids, Kilimanjaro Safarais, Wildlife Express Train, and Gorilla Falls Trail are all closed.

Maharaja Jungle Trek is cut short at the bats and detours to exit.

Several paths in the park are closed.

Epcot is running as normal, nothing reported closed. Magic Kingdom has Jungle Cruise and Trains down.

No word on Studios yet.