T2:3D - Battle Across Time Memorial Thread | Page 35 | Inside Universal Forums

T2:3D - Battle Across Time Memorial Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Once again,

And Waterworld was on the originally leaked map of Universal Beijing. I wouldn't rule Bourne out, even if the film series is dead.

IMO there's a huge difference between:
1) Creating a stunt show concurrently with a new blockbuster, and even though after the blockbuster flopped, keeping the show as it proved to be super popular. Then later bringing it to other resorts because of that proven popularity and quality.
...and...
2) Creating a brand new, 100% original show in the year 2019 based off a completely forgettable franchise that's been dead since the attempt to revive it flopped in 2016.

Neither of those things are happening though per the release. It clearly stated live action show on a Universal product. DW theater with screens doesn't fit that in any way.

The Press Release: "Terminator 2: 3-D at Universal Studios Florida will run its last shows on Sunday, Oct. 8 to make way for an all-new live action experience based on a high-energy Universal franchise. It will open in 2019. This is one of many exciting new experiences coming to Universal Orlando Resort as we continue our epic growth."

A DreamWorks Animation character show fits the press release EXACTLY. Having screens in a pre-show or during the actual show does not automatically disqualify it. The Horror Make-Up Show and Animal Actors on Location both have screens. Does that mean they aren't live-action shows?

Would a new version of the animal actors show really be considered "Live Action"? I think its going to be a lot more than just a traditional stage/animal show

By the loosest definition, the Animal Actors show would also fit the bill with a new script, as it is "live-action" and a "high-energy Universal franchise". All the words in the PR were chosen carefully, so I have to agree that it's unlikely. I don't think it's a terrible idea, but it doesn't seem to mesh well with the carefully-worded PR.

I have been thinking about it and the "Universal franchise" phrase keeps plucking at my brain. I don't think you can actually call the entire DWA oeuvre a "franchise" but you would be able to use it for certain properties under that umbrella. Shrek, Madagascar, How to Train Your Dragon and Kung Fu Panda would all be considered "Universal franchises". Of those, the most obvious choice would be a Kung Fu Panda martial arts show. That would certainly fulfill the "high-energy" phrase in the PR. Of course, they could also do something similar to that How to Train Your Dragon stage show that toured the country. It's a good idea, but it's not a great fit for this theater, due to the size and scope of that show. That show requires all kinds of mechanics, though adding those things would better explain why this transformation will take so long. Furthermore, that show doesn't really scream "high-energy" so much, since it's more about the dragons flying gracefully around the stadium.

So I gotta go with Kung Fu Panda, which could include Chinese acrobats and some Cirque du Soleil type elements. Add in those high-def screens that would allow for gorgeous backgrounds - especially those seen in KFP3 - and it would be extremely difficult for Universal to screw this one up.

I'm certainly not buying into any of this Jason Bourne stuff, though. The franchise is dead and this theater is too small to put on any sort of stunt show. Something like that would have to go into the Fear Factor or Toon Lagoon theaters. Furthermore, once KidZone closes down, parents are going to start whining again about how little there is for their kids to do. A kiddie show certainly helps out there. Plus, the lack of a "DreamWorks Theater" announcement for Orlando is extremely telling. Why wouldn't they want to clone something that's so cheap and takes advantage of their new, very-popular acquisition? This makes me think the resort has other ideas for the DreamWorks characters...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake727
We've discussed building out this building before though, right? I wonder if the delay is due to rebuilding behind the facade to accommodate a larger show?

Reactions: Legacy
We've discussed building out this building before though, right? I wonder if the delay is due to rebuilding behind the facade to accommodate a larger show?

Check out Google Maps. There's not a lot of room back there to build out, just a tiny triangle that's bordered by stuff that would require major demolition which simply won't happen.

There's not a lot of space to expand the seating area either. There's the pre-show area, the exit and a smallish gift shop. That wouldn't add that many seats. AND even doing that would require major demolition because theaters slope downward. Adding seating to the back would most likely require the roof be removed to improve sightlines for the new back rows.

When I heard about this project it was Bond or Bourne with live actors, screens, and effects. T23D 2.0.

Not Dreamworks.

Not StarTrek.

My biggest problem with that has been stated before: This theater is too small for any major production. Here are the general seating capacities of the Universal "spectacle" theaters: Animal Actors seats 1600+, Sindbad seats 1700+, Fear Factor seats 1900+ and the Toon Lagoon Theater seats more than 2000. T2 seats 700. For comparison, Shrek 4-D handles 324 people (I can't find info on the Horror Make-Up Show but it's probably between the two). A theater that is closer in size to Shrek than to any of the "real" theaters isn't going to get some major production. Especially considering it'll have to play hourly - at minimum - to make sure most of the people in the park have a chance to see it. Also, smaller theaters tend to house "kiddie shows" as many childless adults won't bother seeing them, so throughput isn't as much of an issue.

So, yeah, there's a possibility this could be a massively-scaled-down Jason Bourne show. The last movie "flopping" is not actually true. It's the second-highest-grossing film in the franchise. It just didn't have a lot of buzz after the fact. Even so, it's still a sad "franchise" compared to DreamWorks:

Shrek (5 films): $3.5B worldwide/$702M average per film
Kung Fu Panda (3 films): $1.8B/$606M average
Madagascar (4 films): $2.2B/$564M average
How to Train Your Dragon (2 films): $1.1B/$558M average
Bourne (5 films): $1.6B/$327M average
James Bond: NOT a Universal franchise so stop talking about it

There are four "Universal franchises" that are not only far more popular than Jason Bourne, but all four are still alive with sequels on the way (Matt Damon has basically said Jason Bourne is done). The only way they would bother with him is if they have an idea for a show and they just needed a Universal IP to slap over it. So, yeah, for this space they could have stuff happening on a screen, and some actors doing something in front of it. But what would that show look like? Most of the excitement from these movies were from chase scenes or fight scenes. How would cars chase each other in a midsize theater? And will anybody be excited by a dude beating another dude with a rolled-up magazine on a tiny stage? It could end up something like the pre-show of the old Earthquake/Disaster ride or the old Hitchcock show, where guests are "inserted" into the movie via "movie magic". But is that considered "live action"? The PR makes it sound like it's going to be more "high-energy" than that. Universal can't afford another underwhelming attraction after Kong and Fast & Furious (which we KNOW will be underwhelming).

Comcast has proven time and time again that they like to go with sure things: Harry Potter, King Kong, The Simpsons, Transformers, Fast & Furious, Nintendo, DreamWorks Animation. Kung Fu Panda, with nearly twice the popularity of Jason Bourne, is pretty close to a sure thing. Jason Bourne is anything but.

Last edited:
Sometimes Universal makes shows or attractions based on less popular IPs because they have a cool idea for a show and look for something that fits that mold.

Backdraft and Twister weren't mega movie franchises. But they made for cool effects shows.

Waterworld is brought up a lot. But plans for a Miami Vice stunt show were going around before that. (With some elements ending up in the Epic Stunt Show Spectacular when USF opened.)

No one remembered the Earthquake movie that ride was based on, but they liked the concept of experiencing an earthquake, so why not?

One of the earliest attractions at USF was based on Murder She Wrote. Then later replaced with Xena/Hercules. Which were like the cheesiest of TV even when they were popular.

Some things can be fun without a well performing IP. The sign could say "Spy Thriller Stunt Show" and people would love it. I know I loved the "Wild Wild Wild West Stunt Show" back in the day.

Heck, it's a theme park. People will wander over and just get in line for anything that's there. How else would've Fear Factor Live been open for so long?

Waterworld is brought up a lot. But plans for a Miami Vice stunt show were going around before that. (With some elements ending up in the Epic Stunt Show Spectacular when USF opened.)
The Miami Vice stunt show was an actual thing:

IMG_0001.jpg

miamivice_1.jpg

a313f9f2a6593ead73984806ee828cad.jpg

It replaced an A-Team stunt show.

I love this! I've watched it many times, but still get a kick out of it. Hits the nostalgia button pretty hard.

Comcast has proven time and time again that they like to go with sure things: Harry Potter, King Kong, The Simpsons, Transformers, Fast & Furious, Nintendo, DreamWorks Animation. Kung Fu Panda, with nearly twice the popularity of Jason Bourne, is pretty close to a sure thing. Jason Bourne is anything but.

I'm not saying I think you're wrong, but I hope this isn't the calculation that Universal makes. I feel like replacing a more teen/adult-skewing show like T2 with something more explicitly aimed at younger audiences or families would be a huge mistake. Nintendo is going to handle that, plus perhaps whatever might eventually replace Shrek.

T2's replacement should be in the same general genre, I feel.

Reactions: tankart150
I feel like a lot immediate "Bourne won't happen" is ignoring a good bit of context being spelt out in this thread.

Bourne would be the IP if Universal doesn't win the rights to Bond. It's a Plan B. Ignoring Plan A removes the potential of the attraction for BOTH franchises.

So, let's stop focusing on Plan B and look at the potential of Plan A.

The car chases could be recreated the same way T2:3D did a motorcycle chase. There's precedent for that sort of this in that same space.

The construction requires demo of all the Terminator effects, and installing the mechanisms for Bond. They could do car and bike intros/exits. With a city scape and projection mapping they could do some awesome stuff.

All the smoke is coming from the Bond fire.

And to the point of Comcast going with "sure things?" Fallon.

I love How to train your dragon. Don't think the buil
Check out Google Maps. There's not a lot of room back there to build out, just a tiny triangle that's bordered by stuff that would require major demolition which simply won't happen.

There's not a lot of space to expand the seating area either. There's the pre-show area, the exit and a smallish gift shop. That wouldn't add that many seats. AND even doing that would require major demolition because theaters slope downward. Adding seating to the back would most likely require the roof be removed to improve sightlines for the new back rows.

My biggest problem with that has been stated before: This theater is too small for any major production. Here are the general seating capacities of the Universal "spectacle" theaters: Animal Actors seats 1600+, Sindbad seats 1700+, Fear Factor seats 1900+ and the Toon Lagoon Theater seats more than 2000. T2 seats 700. For comparison, Shrek 4-D handles 324 people (I can't find info on the Horror Make-Up Show but it's probably between the two). A theater that is closer in size to Shrek than to any of the "real" theaters isn't going to get some major production. Especially considering it'll have to play hourly - at minimum - to make sure most of the people in the park have a chance to see it. Also, smaller theaters tend to house "kiddie shows" as many childless adults won't bother seeing them, so throughput isn't as much of an issue.

So, yeah, there's a possibility this could be a massively-scaled-down Jason Bourne show. The last movie "flopping" is not actually true. It's the second-highest-grossing film in the franchise. It just didn't have a lot of buzz after the fact. Even so, it's still a sad "franchise" compared to DreamWorks:

Shrek (5 films): $3.5B worldwide/$702M average per film
Kung Fu Panda (3 films): $1.8B/$606M average
Madagascar (4 films): $2.2B/$564M average
How to Train Your Dragon (2 films): $1.1B/$558M average
Bourne (5 films): $1.6B/$327M average
James Bond: NOT a Universal franchise so stop talking about it

There are four "Universal franchises" that are not only far more popular than Jason Bourne, but all four are still alive with sequels on the way (Matt Damon has basically said Jason Bourne is done). The only way they would bother with him is if they have an idea for a show and they just needed a Universal IP to slap over it. So, yeah, for this space they could have stuff happening on a screen, and some actors doing something in front of it. But what would that show look like? Most of the excitement from these movies were from chase scenes or fight scenes. How would cars chase each other in a midsize theater? And will anybody be excited by a dude beating another dude with a rolled-up magazine on a tiny stage? It could end up something like the pre-show of the old Earthquake/Disaster ride or the old Hitchcock show, where guests are "inserted" into the movie via "movie magic". But is that considered "live action"? The PR makes it sound like it's going to be more "high-energy" than that. Universal can't afford another underwhelming attraction after Kong and Fast & Furious (which we KNOW will be underwhelming).

ding

Love How to train your dragon. Doubt the building is big enough for a big show, but I would be lining up for that show in a heartbeat. Great characters, and dragons continue to be popular right now.

My feeling on this is that they WANTED Bond, but couldn't get the rights, thus we get a Press Release stating a "Universal Franchise", which has likely been shifted over to Bourne.

If that's the case it's not the worst thing. If they ever do get the Bond rights, maybe we can get something based on it over in Park 3 down the line.

Bourne might not have been the greatest over the last two films, but those first three films were awesome and I would happily see that show over a re-hashed Dreamworks theatre of which many have said the space is too small for or a SLoP show. Not that I don't want both of those things, but I think SLoP would make a cool dark ride of some description and Dreamworks is going to replace Shrek or isn't coming to Orlando at all