Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hurricane Irma

43 hours and counting without power here in Northern Brevard. If you have a spooky pitch black street at night, go outside (if it's a safe spooky pitch black street) and take a look at the stars before the moon gets too high. Last night was very clear, never saw so many stars in a Florida sky.

Yes, that was wonderful for us after Wilma save for the generates that ruined the rare seeming natural sounds...but I will never forget some 12 years ago and the sound of trees snapping in half...

Um, I guess the thing kept changing its mind on its path, but shouldn't those nets come down as prep? Or is that too much work>

Yes, that was wonderful for us after Wilma save for the generates that ruined the rare seeming natural sounds...but I will never forget some 12 years ago and the sound of trees snapping in half...

Um, I guess the thing kept changing its mind on its path, but shouldn't those nets come down as prep? Or is that too much work?

not sure what the interwebs is doing to me today...I have post and quotes all jumbled now. Hotels getting money back I assume has to do with insurance policy and fema eligible losses??

I saw a lot of 'luck' (I am more apt to believe in Karma than luck...skill and proper choices...more than luck, but I do not know how I saw trees catch trees like in this example (finger of God?!?)

36359064194_a21801580b_c.jpg

Was just thinking about him as I saw Bradenton on the news, sure he d he was from there. Hope alls OK Joe, drop us a line if and when you can.

Glad to hear everyone else weathered the storm and I hope the aftermath isn't to bad for ya'll.
Didn't see the tags, thanks for thinking of me. Last houses got power about 2 hours ago, little damage other than trees so all is good. Some flooding to the west. Level at the 301 bridge is currently 16.4 after cresting at 17.7 feet and the road out front of my place is 22.5 so all is good.

In every hotel that I've worked at, if there was a storm impacting New Orleans and people got stuck, we would offer them a reduced rate, but I've never worked at a hotel that participates in FEMA relocations, so no free ride or refund just because you stayed. During Isaac in 2012, we offered a reduced rate to everyone because we went from full service with housekeeping and two restaurants to just towel service and a thrice daily buffet in the main ballroom.

Obviously, cancellation and early departure fees are waived, but if you stay, you are implicitly agreeing to be subject to the whims of the weather and whatever effects come with it.

Never lost power, though we were one of only two buildings that were so, all the other buildings in our complex lost power. OUC was quick to restore power, Monday at 10AM trucks were here fixing it all. Did lose cable internet (Spectrum), and the 4G on my phone was dreadful, so I could not check in here. Not much damage here, just a few big trees came down in the retention pond, for the rest mainly minor stuff. I live right door to a plaza where there is a bar, a brewpub and a Mexican restaurant, and by noon Monday they were all open again, lol, and that in spite of the curfew, they were all packed as well, apparently it was an hour wait at the Mexican restaurant.

As for the storm, it was long and heavy, but it was pretty spectacular to see, especially the horizontal rain. I was up until about 1h30 to watch the storm, opened my balcony door a few times to stick my head out and feel it. We definitely were lucky here.

Hope everyone is well.

I watched a smart piece on news channel 6 about how they have to cut entire neighborhoods of power, even though it never went out, in order to fix a different small neighborhood's power outage. They do this so they don't electrocute the line workers.

We were in Orlando for Matthew last year and we were not charged for the unused nights from the hotel we were at for my wife's convention. We were able to relocate to our hotel outside of Disney on Friday before the hurricane hit and it was like a refugee camp. Felt so sorry for all those who came inland bringing their kids, coolers, pets, and prized possessions with them to ride out the storm. We stayed at a Holiday Inn so there were really no losses in service during that time. Rate wise, I think we paid the same as the other days we had booked in advance.

Didn't see the tags, thanks for thinking of me. Last houses got power about 2 hours ago, little damage other than trees so all is good. Some flooding to the west. Level at the 301 bridge is currently 16.4 after cresting at 17.7 feet and the road out front of my place is 22.5 so all is good.

Glad to hear it buddy.

Are those above sea level measurements?

I got the Contemporary to extend the 2 nights at approx $200/night after fees/taxes. They couldn't have been better. Considering all the activities they had going on- $200 wasn't a terrible value, even with a hurricane. The pool wasn't even closed 24 hrs.

We still have no power... :cry:
I'm sorry to hear that. Hang in there. Folks near us finally got power last night. Hopefully won't be much longer. Sorry you've had to wait so long.

If mine was out any longer than it was last week, I was going to spend most days at the parks. Muppet*Vision has AC. Wonder how many times I could watch that in a row before I lose my mind.

Me no likey this one. Find some AC and take a break
I've been staying with my parents who live in the Las Olas River House in downtown Ft. Lauderdale; since the hospital, county jail, and a few other crucial utilities all run on the same grid there, they never lost power. My gf is going nuts though, we went to Italy for two weeks and now haven't been able to go home for another week and sleep in our own bed. She's super busy at work, stressed and now getting sick. no bueno

I could care less where I sleep as long as I have AC lol

We still have no power... :cry:

ouch, dang fake news promised by today once didn't they?

I've been staying with my parents who live in the Las Olas River House in downtown Ft. Lauderdale; since the hospital, county jail, and a few other crucial utilities all run on the same grid there, they never lost power. My gf is going nuts though, we went to Italy for two weeks and now haven't been able to go home for another week and sleep in our own bed. She's super busy at work, stressed and now getting sick. no bueno

I could care less where I sleep as long as I have AC lol

cool area, man, when I was a kid so many moons ago, the Stranaham House seemed to have such small stairs...heck, that might have been before they moved it to over there...many a wonderful night along that walkway by the intracostal...over by the rail road bridge....good memories from my Broward days!