Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion

Eh, Kong is a ride that exists as far as i'm concerned. It's just sort of there, impeding on Jurassic Park's territory.

That’s fine. I can see why people don’t like it a lot. I do!

EDIT: I also can see why people enjoy FoP. I think it's dull, but I get why people like it. (I don't get people who cried because of it...but that's another story)

I did Kong for the first time this year and enjoyed it and will do it every time I go, but FOP I could do repeatedly if the queue wasn't as ridiculous as it is, it is just one of those attractions that ticks the boxes for me (and it isn't to do with being young cos I most certainly am not :p )

well that escalated quickly
as the resident Pro Pandora guy ill say this
both rides are totally different with different emotional experiences, both with great queues
and i personally could care less who likes which ride better
both have proven to be successful
:thumbsup:

I can't pass judgement on FOP since I've not actually experienced it, and You Tube videos are not a good indicator of "any" attraction's quality. However, a number of people have described it as being similar to Simpson's & Back to the Future, albeit with much better screen quality, so I'm sure I'll like it since I love Simpsons & BTTF. But, to me, I fully ascribe to legendary Disney Imagineer Tony Baxter's theory that an attraction's true worth can best be judged after many repeat rides (he uses 20 as the benchmark), since you don't fully experience it through the first few rides. This kind of gets around the problem of expectations being too high or too low. In my personal opinion attractions like Spider Man, FOP, Gringotts, Reign of Kong, Mummy, Simpsons, MIB, JPRA, Popeye and Bluto Bilge Rat's Barges, Tower of Terror, POC, Haunted Mansion, Space Ship Earth, Test Track, Star Tours II, BTM and probably a few others that escape me now, all meet that lofty standard, and are excellent attractions.Many rides I have not enjoyed enough to get anywhere near 20 rides, but all those listed I've done over 20 times. ...So, for me, I will be checking back in another year or two to see what people who ride a lot are saying about Flight of Passage. Will the march of time classify it as "Great', or "Good" , To me, that will be the standard.

Yeah, good luck getting on it twice with that horrible capacity.

I liked both Kong and FoP for what they were. Neither blew my mind- FoP was certainly great and well done.

Still can’t touch ToT or SM. Or for a “simulator”- Spider-Man still blows them both out of the water.

However, a number of people have described it as being similar to Simpson's & Back to the Future, albeit with much better screen quality, so I'm sure I'll like it since I love Simpsons & BTTF.
Anyone who compares it to Simpson’s or BTTF is being about as biased as they can be. I’d take their opinion with a massive grain of salt. It’s as close to Simpson’s as minions, star tours and jimmy Fallon is. They’re all screens. But they are all completely different outside of being a screen- FoP being the vastly superior screen and ride mechanics to all of those (of course it should be considering its budget and being brand new)

Anyone who compares it to Simpson’s or BTTF is being about as biased as they can be. I’d take their opinion with a massive grain of salt. It’s as close to Simpson’s as minions, star tours and jimmy Fallon is. They’re all screens. But they are all completely different outside of being a screen- FoP being the vastly superior screen and ride mechanics to all of those (of course it should be considering its budget and being brand new)

Literally the first thing I thought when I was on the ride and turned my head and saw rows and rows of bikes in front of an IMAX dome was, "Oh, so it's BTTF."

I liked both Kong and FoP for what they were. Neither blew my mind- FoP was certainly great and well done.

Still can’t touch ToT or SM. Or for a “simulator”- Spider-Man still blows them both out of the water.

I mean, Avatar is definitely leaps above them - but it’s not a crazy comparison since it’s the same gimmick.

Apparently they are only operating two of the four theaters right now (down for refurb already), so lines have been artificially long for this slower time of year.

Apparently they are only operating two of the four theaters right now (down for refurb already), so lines have been artificially long for this slower time of year.

The lines come from not hitting capacity and some wonky things with the queue. This is very similar to when Gringotts was running 4-7 hour lines in 2014.

I mean, Avatar is definitely leaps above them - but it’s not a crazy comparison since it’s the same gimmick.

And how exactly is Minions a different gimmick?

Or even Fallon or Star Tours? (Outside of having their own screen)

That’s my point. They’re simulators. It’s the equivalent of saying that Simpson’s minions Fallon and star tours are the same as well.
Similar? Ok. Yet my wife hates riding the Simpsons and loved Fallon and enjoyed FoP.

Oh ya- I forgot Soarin.- throw that in the mix too.

It’d be the equivalent of saying Splash Mountain is similar to Dudley. Or that Popeye is similar to Kali. True, right? Except we all know which is better in every way. So In that vein- FoP is SM/Popeye and Dudley/Kali is BTTF/Simpsons.

Being described as “The Simpsons Ride with Bikes“ is ignorant and/or extremely biased/fanboish.

Last edited:
Being described as “The Simpsons Ride with Bikes“ is ignorant and/or extremely biased/fanboish.

I've yet to ride Avatar, so I'm asking out of curiosity. Other than the quality of the film and the RV, how is it different than the Simpsons? From the outside, it looks like both you are on RV's that move you up down and around in front of a domed screen. I know that's simplifying it, so what really is different about the two?

I've yet to ride Avatar, so I'm asking out of curiosity. Other than the quality of the film and the RV, how is it different than the Simpsons? From the outside, it looks like both you are on RV's that move you up down and around in front of a domed screen. I know that's simplifying it, so what really is different about the two?

You pretty much nailed it. I'd say Soarin' is certainly more apropos as a comparison vs Simpsons as there is wind, mist, etc.

The "mist" from the ocean is perfect (not droplets like we get in Kong, Spiderman, etc). The wind is perfect. The "breathing" of the Banshee certainly adds to it a little. The quality is top notch and the screen is massive- you truly don't notice the edges unless you turn your head and are looking for them- even if you're located in a "corner". Unlike Soarin- where there are edges all over the place.
Honestly, I think the RV is what sets it apart- and namely how you are seated. The "leaning into it" certainly makes the ride vs leaning back in a seat with feet above you (soarin) or people/ride vehicle in front of you (like in Simpsons, ST, Fallon or minions). All you see is the screen, which is unique.

It isn't a Splash Mountain/ToT "defining" ride IMO- but what it has done is perfected the simulator ride. I don't see how they could have made it any better w/ the given IP (the main problem)- which is a pretty big departure from other rides they've sludged out this past decade+. Always left me wanting more than what they gave me. This doesn't have that feeling.

And how exactly is Minions a different gimmick?

Or even Fallon or Star Tours? (Outside of having their own screen)

That’s my point. They’re simulators. It’s the equivalent of saying that Simpson’s minions Fallon and star tours are the same as well.
Similar? Ok. Yet my wife hates riding the Simpsons and loved Fallon and enjoyed FoP.

Oh ya- I forgot Soarin.- throw that in the mix too.

It’d be the equivalent of saying Splash Mountain is similar to Dudley. Or that Popeye is similar to Kali. True, right? Except we all know which is better in every way. So In that vein- FoP is SM/Popeye and Dudley/Kali is BTTF/Simpsons.

Not all simulators are the same - which it looks like you get - but it doesn't mean ride quality is the same by comparing the ride systems - which it looks like you also get? :what:

I don't get the pushback....... or the "Fanboy" accusation.......

Avatar - a row of "link chambers"/banshees across multiple floors emerge from the loading room in front of an IMAX screen.

BTTF/Simpsons - a row of DeLoreans/Coaster cars across multiple floors rise from the loading room in front of an IMAX screen.

I don't get the pushback....... or the "Fanboy" accusation.......

Avatar - a row of "link chambers"/banshees across multiple floors emerge from the loading room in front of an IMAX screen.

BTTF/Simpsons - a row of DeLoreans/Coaster cars across multiple floors rise from the loading room in front of an IMAX screen.

Because it's being dismissive of a significantly improved ride, technology and execution- in literally every form and fashion sans IP.

Splash Mountain- A flume ride in a log across multiple floors and emerge at a final splashdown

Dudley Do Right- A flume ride in a log across multiple floors and emerge at a final splashdown

We could say the same for Kali and Popeye.
Splash Mountain isn't "Dudley Do-Right with a Rabbit, Fox and Bear" and Popeye isn't "Kali with Bluto" much like FoP isn't "The Simpsons Ride with Bikes".

To say so is being disingenuous. For a forum where many argue that transformers isn't "spider-man with robots"- I just find that statement, and those who agree with it, ironic.

To say so is being disingenuous. For a forum where many argue that transformers isn't "spider-man with robots"- I just find that statement, and those who agree with it, ironic.

But Transformers is Spider-Man with Robots though.... :lol:

Because it's being dismissive of a significantly improved ride, technology and execution- in literally every form and fashion sans IP.

Splash Mountain- A flume ride in a log across multiple floors and emerge at a final splashdown

Dudley Do Right- A flume ride in a log across multiple floors and emerge at a final splashdown

We could say the same for Kali and Popeye.

Splash Mountain isn't "Dudley Do-Right with a Rabbit, Fox and Bear" and Popeye isn't "Kali with Bluto" much like FoP isn't "The Simpsons Ride with Bikes".

In the most basic form, yes - those descriptions are apt. In no way does it imply any sense of quality, or lack there of. It gives an idea as to what the ride basically is.

I think you're picking apart the semantics on the comparison a bit too much. Like I stated, it's not too crazy for someone to see similarities of the ride system, which in no way diminishes the quality of FoP.

The lines come from not hitting capacity and some wonky things with the queue. This is very similar to when Gringotts was running 4-7 hour lines in 2014.

Sorta. The capacity is high outside of issues, so it has moments when it all works and moves people. It's not typically running with entire theaters down.

An the park is in the mid-30's up from the 20's, so that's a pretty big jump. Not sure if that jump is enduring, but for a while, AK "busy" due to Pandora and Epcot "on a normal to slow day" were about the same park crowds. DHS meanwhile dipped into the red (less than 10k - major theme parks are designed to see 10k guests a day on avg to stay in the black in terms of staffing an such)