Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

Or they could not do it at all.

Also S3 of Stranger Things isn’t coming out this year so it definitely won’t be back for 29
'member Crimson Peak? 'member Insidious 4?

Surely it stands to reason that season 1 of stranger things will be this year, then season 2 for HHN29, then obviously season 3 for HHN30.
god, does StrTh really have enough content for two houses? I'm already sick of it :angry:

Worst case scenario is they bring back that same zone. Gimme a Chernobyl NGs zone!
What about using that SZ budget on a nuclear power plant towering over the NY skyline? (cover it with tarp during day, possibly with ad for HHN)

I really hope Trick ‘r Treat does well as a house. If they put it in the Parade Building it’s probably not gonna do well since the last cult property there bombed(hi AvED). But yeah they already have most of the props and costumes and if the sets deliver it could be the dark horse maze of HHN28
some people put it at the tops of their lists, the most polarizing house of 27 tbh

The location, at this point, has nothing to do with the quality of the house. They're not building in queues anymore, which was the biggest hurdle for an effective house. The best houses are the ones with A&D's collective interest and a strong cast.
THIS. However, while not necessarily the innate quality of a house, a SS usually means a house will be grander in comparison to tents, however we also had The Shining turn our to be a ton of hallways so :shrug:

So, I just read that article. Aside from the space station (which, I've mentioned before, may not be an original), everything else is pulled from.... THESE BOARDS!

Seriously. The "will'o wisps" was first a guess from something the ifrit said. The Classic Monsters, I've been told, is a Hollywood exclusive.

And, regarding Invasion!, I'm being told the reception for it was fairly lukewarm. Universal won't bring back an original the GSATs weren't gaga over.

In other words, clickbait is clickbaity.

So, I just read that article. Aside from the space station (which, I've mentioned before, may not be an original), everything else is pulled from.... THESE BOARDS!

Seriously. The "will'o wisps" was first a guess from something the ifrit said. The Classic Monsters, I've been told, is a Hollywood exclusive.

And, regarding Invasion!, I'm being told the reception for it was fairly lukewarm. Universal won't bring back an original the GSATs weren't gaga over.

No surprise there for Invasion!; although could they possibly do something for it like they did with Bayou of Blood(ok zone, bring back for stellar house). Also, the “will o the wisp” hint Ifrit gave out seems to indicate Trick ‘r Treat since it’s connected to some new hints that point right to it.

No surprise there for Invasion!; although could they possibly do something for it like they did with Bayou of Blood(ok zone, bring back for stellar house). Also, the “will o the wisp” hint Ifrit gave out seems to indicate Trick ‘r Treat since it’s connected to some new hints that point right to it.
Makes sense. But now, people will expect a will'o wisps house, design it in their minds, then be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Makes sense. But now, people will expect a will'o wisps house, design it in their minds, then be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

A will o the wisp house would just seem really awkward, a lot of Dead Waters props would be reused for sure. Anyways, so has everything been pretty good with the IPs? It seems like this year they’re doing everything possible to avoid a Conjuring/Scream incident

I feel that we all deserve a byline on this article.

It's getting rave reviews now, three months after the IP shortlist was locked in. It didn't win it's opening weekend, so it doesn't have surprise success that would let it budge something off the list. By the time October rolls around, it'll be essentially forgotten.

So... doubtful. Exceedingly doubtful.

It has not come out yet, so maybe if it does win its opening week and becomes successful, we could see it.

It has not come out yet, so maybe if it does win its opening week and becomes successful, we could see it.
It would have to have a record-breaking opening gross for a horror film to push itself into the event. It could be highest total gross opening of all time, and I still wouldn't put money on it showing up in 2018.

Universal, by design this year, has locked and triple-locked IPs it deems "safe." Most of them were locked before November (which is months ahead of its normal schedule). The Conjuring and Ouija caused major issues last year. They don't want that to happen again. Adding something last minute because it fits the immediate zeitgeist isn't want they're going for this year.

(And regarding Scream, I've heard rumors that conflict with the popular spec about why it changed last minute. That's why I'm not including it in my list of "issues.")

Last edited:
Hmmmm....?
Hubris, man.

What I was told was, basically, Universal was talking with Dimension/MTV to use Scream while A&D started designing/building the house. The rights to Scream, from the beginning, looked like a lock. That's why A&D went ahead with it. Problem was, there was never confirmation on WHICH Scream to use. Universal (as an entity) was so confident they could reach an agreement to use the film. It seems obvious, but while A&D was building a house based on the movie (because that's what they wanted to build), the rights holders were only interested in the TV show. When Dimension/MTV refused to budge on it, it was too late.

So, from my understanding, there never was an AGREEMENT for Scream. It was all presumption because, "We're Universal."

Again, that's what I've been told. May be wrong. However, knowing what I know about how a lot of decisions are made, it wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly what happened.

Hubris, man.

What I was told was, basically, Universal was talking with Dimension/MTV to use Scream while A&D started designing/building the house. The rights to Scream, from the beginning, looked like a lock. That's why A&D went ahead with it. Problem was, there was never confirmation on WHICH Scream to use. Universal (as an entity) was so confident they could reach an agreement to use the film. It seems obvious, but while A&D was building a house based on the movie (because that's what they wanted to build), the rights holders were only interested in the TV show. When Dimension/MTV refused to budge on it, it was too late.

So, from my understanding, there never was an AGREEMENT for Scream. It was all presumption because, "We're Universal."

Again, that's what I've been told. May be wrong. However, knowing what I know about how a lot decisions are made, it wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly what happened.
This is actually really interesting. Really shows the often arrogant attitude of corporate. Thanks for sharing!

Hubris, man.

Again, that's what I've been told. May be wrong. However, knowing what I know about how a lot of decisions are made, it wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly what happened.

So...similar to what we've already heard, but just a little bit worse on Uni's end.

Still goes to show the misunderstanding of marketing on Dimension's end though. Any instance of the Scream movies in the public consciousness could easily transfer over to more viewership for the TV show.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 1.27.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 1.27.29 PM.png
    217.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited: