Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What's next for Busch Gardens Tampa??

Well that's good news. They likely just closed them temporarily as a cost saving measure like they have in the past. I would imagine they did some refurbishment/cleaning up of the area as well. Besides having no signage a couple weeks ago when I was there, it did look a bit "refreshed".

So, has there been any development on the possibility of Merlin buying the BGs? If that happens, they could possibly lose some of the things that made them special, but they would be pulled from dire financial straits. Like in Universal's case, a necessary sacrifice: piss off some of the hardcore fans to be able to appeal to wider audiences. (Yes, I recognize this is just mindless speculation.)

Last edited:
^No. SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment has stated they have no interest in selling off individual parks. However that was while Manby was still CEO. It would be a mistake to separate the parks as they are already so well integrated with passholders and conservation efforts.

^No. SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment has stated they have no interest in selling off individual parks. However that was while Manby was still CEO. It would be a mistake to separate the parks as they are already so well integrated with passholders and conservation efforts.

They might have to. I don't see attendance getting any better under the current management any time soon.

They might have to. I don't see attendance getting any better under the current management any time soon.
Attendance has more or less stopped decreasing at the parks. There major problem right now is their looming debt. It’s going to make capital investments, which are a necessity for this kind of company, more and more difficult to fund.

I do agree that selling some parks may be one of only a few recovery options for them. It’d decrease their debt. However, the decrease in debt from selling the parks must outweigh the decrease in equity that the sale will also inevitably bring. It’s not simply “sell the parks at all costs.” The price has to be right.

Last edited:
Attendance has increased at all 3 SeaWorld parks so far this year, with San Diego seeing the strongest growth.

I would be surprised if Busch Gardens Tampa hasn't also increased, as the Brazilian Florida vacation issue seems to be softening.

Attendance has more or less stopped decreasing at the parks. There major problem right now is their looming debt. It’s going to make capital investments, which are a necessity for this kind of company, more and more difficult to fund.

I do agree that selling some parks may be one of only a few recovery options for them. It’d decrease their debt. However, the decrease in debt from selling the parks must outweigh the decrease in equity that the sale will also inevitably bring. It’s not simply “sell the parks at all costs.” The price has to be right.
I'm hopeful that it has reached its bottom, BGT may be sold off who knows...Either way SW will continue with its re-branding

I am rooting for them, I really am...The Sea World Parks offer something that Universal and Disney do not

Attendance has increased at all 3 SeaWorld parks so far this year, with San Diego seeing the strongest growth.

I would be surprised if Busch Gardens Tampa hasn't also increased, as the Brazilian Florida vacation issue seems to be softening.

Do you have a source for this, or is this just based on visits to the parks?

Also was at BGT in March on a weekday and the park was surprisingly crowded! Also was there this past weekend and again, the park was packed. Expecting to see an announcement come out within the next few weeks for a 2019 attraction.

I'd really hate for BGT to go to Merlin, SWPE has it's own theme within its parks collectively. BGT is such a jewel in the company and it fits so well in the lineup of parks they currently have.

The last conference call the company said that attendance was rebounding at all 3 SeaWorld parks, with San Diego leading the way.

San Antonio grew in 2017 compared to 2016 as well.

New markings on Gwazi
30708907_1919490308085861_4652005449120350208_n.jpg

Yes, these look almost identical to what we saw on Mean Streak, Colossus etc.

There are some higher quality images circulating that show multiple supports that have been marked.

As much as I am buying into this right now, I need to stay grounded because I don't want to be completely distraught if this ends up being a Skyrocket II. (Once again, definitely not a bad, but certainly no RMC)