Nintendo Switch | Page 68 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Switch

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If you count Wolfenstein, Crash, Captain Toad, Octopath, Hollow Knight, Banner Saga, Monster Hunter, Okami, Dark Souls, MegaMan, and Mario Party as nothing, sure.
I specifically said “big,” did I not? Those are like mid tier releases (even Mario Tennis could be considered this). I’m getting Crash myself and probably Wolfenstein too when I’m done with Crash but there’s really not a lot. Where’s Retro after all this time? Where’s 2D Mario? Where’s ANYTHING else from their first party studios other than Smash and Pokémon which isn’t even the big release slated for next year?

I specifically said “big,” did I not? Those are like mid tier releases (even Mario Tennis could be considered this). I’m getting Crash myself and probably Wolfenstein too when I’m done with Crash but there’s really not a lot. Where’s Retro after all this time? Where’s 2D Mario? Where’s ANYTHING else from their first party studios other than Smash and Pokémon which isn’t even the big release slated for next year?
I'd argue your idea of "big" differs from a lot of people, but fair enough.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
I'd argue your idea of "big" differs from a lot of people, but fair enough.
My definition of “big” is simple. Out of the games in your list, will any of them have the hype and sales power of games like BotW, Odyssey, Pokémon, or Smash? Imo Nintendo needed one more this year. An amazing new 2D Mario could’ve done the trick or even Animal Crossing. Or, you know, RETRO’S GAME!!!!! >:O

Reactions: Magic-Man
My definition of “big” is simple. Out of the games in your list, will any of them have the hype and sales power of games like BotW, Odyssey, Pokémon, or Smash?

Most video game systems don't get one exclusive game that sells 10+ million copies a year, let alone 2.

2017 had BOTW and Odyssey
2018 has Pokémon and Smash
2019 has Pokémon and ???

I think Nintendo has done a real good job supporting the Switch with exclusives. More is always good, but 3 games on that level is not something that normally happens.

Last edited:
Most video game systems don't get one exclusive game that sells 10+ million copies a year, let alone 2.

2019 has Pokémon and ???

I think Nintendo has done a real good job supporting the Switch with exclusives. More is always good, but 3 games on that level is not something that normally happens.
With how barren it is I think we needed that one more game. What have the 2D Mario and Animal Crossing teams been doing lately?

2019 has Pokémon and ???

Metroid is going to come out in 2019. It has to. Right?

Right?

Reactions: Mike S
With how barren it is I think we needed that one more game. What have the 2D Mario and Animal Crossing teams been doing lately?

You know, why can't Nintendo also rely on the aid and assistance of third and second party companies, who would be more than willing to have the spotlight, and allowing Nintendo's first party teams to relax and put in the best that they can?

I think barren is hyperbolic

Right?

Doubtful. They said they didn't show it today because it's not ready. My guess is Animal Crossing and some sort of Mario game (2D or Odyssey 2) will be next year.

Right?
God it better be...
You know, why can't Nintendo also rely on the aid and assistance of third and second party companies, who would be more than willing to have the spotlight, and allowing Nintendo's first party teams to relax and put in the best that they can?
That depends on if said third parties are bringing their own huge releases of the year. Which, by my count, isn’t that much.

I will just sit around with my friends for hours playing smash, it’s one of the only Nintendo games I care about. I’m so happy right now it hurts.

We can't have a Last Year every year. Setting yourself in that expectation is not only stupid, but it's going to make you become bitter and disdained towards what you love.
If you truly love something you’re willing to critique it to make it better. What Nintendo showed is not bad by any means but they needed more for the later half of this year. One more big release for September or October would’ve been enough. Right now the biggest games are literally right at the end. If the Switch isn’t going to be getting your CoDs, Battlefields, Assassin’s Creeds, Red Dead Redemption 2’s, etc. Nintendo needs to fill those gaps themselves.

A lot of people were complaining about all the ports in the first half of 2018 and I always defended it saying wait for E3 and you’ll see the new games for the second half of the year. Well, now I was proven wrong. I’m not expecting BotW and Odyssey every year but there are teams at Nintendo that haven’t released anything in YEARS and at least one of them should’ve had a game releasing this year. Heck, I would’ve even taken ports of the Super Mario Galaxy games or Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Nintendo needs to take a page from Microsoft and buy up some new studios. Maybe some western ones other than Retro. Then they can fill out the calendar better.

Nah, they have plenty of studios. It's clear Fire Emblem and Yoshi were both meant to come out this year, but something happened in their development.