Possibility of Penny Pinching at UOR? | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Possibility of Penny Pinching at UOR?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This has been one of (if not the) longest economic expansion in history. We are overdue for a correction and a recession. There are already signs it's happening with inflation rising faster than wages.
I would say the biggest potential issue in particular is housing costs once again getting to be a dangerously large portion of a lot of peoples' incomes. Although they didn't give out adjustable rate mortgages to the degree of last time the economy crashed, if we see the job market turn south the housing market could tank right with it.

Reactions: tankart150
We don’t entirely know how hard of a recession this one will be.

Most signs point to a soft recession. The financial crisis was not a soft recession.

The economic definition of a recession varies a little bit. I believe the technical definition is two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth. That definition has begun to grow into two quarters of falling GDP growth, where growth is still positive but decreases for two quarters in a row.

I'd say that it's not penny pinching and that Uni is getting ready for it's expansion. Sinbad closing is probably related to the T2 project - why cast a new crew when you have one located in IOA? And Sinbad's closing was probably inevitable if Zelda or How to train your Dragon end up taking over. The rumored JP coaster was probably delayed/cancelled if maybe they thought LC deserved a fix first.

If there is any "penny-pinching" happening, street shows will probably be next to go with minor attractions having operating times cut after.

How to Train Your Dragon?:freak: I insanely love those movies. A ride, or an attraction would probably bring me back to the park as soon as I could make it

Reactions: tankart150
We don’t entirely know how hard of a recession this one will be.

Most signs point to a soft recession. The financial crisis was not a soft recession.

The economic definition of a recession varies a little bit. I believe the technical definition is two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth. That definition has begun to grow into two quarters of falling GDP growth, where growth is still positive but decreases for two quarters in a row.
Except that all the regulations put in place to prevent the same thing from happening have been undone and the government has ballooned the deficit so it could be even worse...

Dafuq are you all talking about?

Also, this thread title sounds like a breaking news headline from a terrible new organization

I hear ya. I guess Joe explained it better... But with no one standing in lines due to Tapu, there's not enough physical space to hold the amount of people they expected to fit in the park at once. Maybe you drop TapuTapu then your wave pool and rivers are juuuussst right.
Just wait till Tapu Tapu gets used at the new park......I keed I keed

Call me when they raise the thermostat for the single rider queue at MiB!

On the VB side of things, it does puzzle me. When we had visited, I was under the impression that most folks there seemed to folks who had gotten some kind of ‘three park’ package deal.

I do recall one of the raft rides having an odd weight/people ratio that seemed to mean it would seldom have five people, maybe it also could not have four...something about it seemed impossible for loaders to ever reach the right numbers.

Personally, I still think they should sell the park differently. I would think locals or AP holders that tend to stay on site would prefer a cheaper option, an after three or after four....keep the park open at night, get the night show going....but try and sell capacity twice. I assume most folks visiting a water park in FL are done by 3 if they start at open, but locals or frequent on site guest might like the park at night...get funds coming in via the bars and restaurants. It might help, I do not know. I think it is just that I would rather visit later in the day and i’m Just not sure we would go enough to justify the three park AP price.

I think it is just that I would rather visit later in the day and i’m Just not sure we would go enough to justify the three park AP price.

I was debating a lot on which AP to get when it opened, but when they charge $67 to get in once and not being sure how long I stay at the water park (I tend to do as much as I can for a few hours and then get out), it didn't feel worth paying that much.

However, paying an extra $100 and being able to go as much as I'd like? That was a value to me relatively speaking. July is blocked out, but I'm not local so I wouldn't come down that time anyway. I did VB 3 times my first trip with that AP and already got my money's worth (Early Entry FTW!) and I plan on going back one more time at least before it expires.

The thought of a night time thing there could be of value- some sort of night swim? Maybe if they moved the Luau out from Royal Pacific to VB they could get crowds, use the kitchen, and sell drinks.

Penny pinching.....I'm reminded of last December. Arrived for an 8 night stay at HR. Checked in, hit the parks for a few hours. Next day walked over and all holiday decorations were gone from USF entrance area. WTF? Hit the parks and came out to eat late lunch at NBC. The bridge from USF was closed off except a narrow walkway on the side. Sat outside at NBC and watched as 50 plus movie people stood around, multiple tents, cater station, fan, boom rigs, you name it. They filmed the commercial with the chick standing in front of the globe. Next day the decorations were all back up. How much you figure that cost?

Reactions: Disneyhead
Just a thought for those of you thinking that Universal isn’t doing enough in Orlando, or is leaving the old parks behind when building a new one...

IOA 2019 and beyond:
  • Harry Potter coaster (opening in 2019)
  • Jurassic Park/World coaster and possible land renovation (opening in 2020)
  • Super Nintendo World: Hyrule (opening in 2022-24)
USF 2019 and beyond:
  • T2 replacement/Bourne show (opening in 2019)
  • Super Nintendo World: Pokémon (opening in 2021-24)
  • Ministry of Magic (timeline currently unknown)
  • Secret Life of Pets/Villain-Con (timeline currently unknown)
UOR 2019 and beyond:
  • Two new hotels (opening in 2019-20)
  • Volcano Bay expansion (opening in 2019-20)
  • ENTIRE NEW THEME PARK, SHOPPING CENTER, AND RESORT (opening in 2022-23)
Any questions?

Just a thought for those of you thinking that Universal isn’t doing enough in Orlando, or is leaving the old parks behind when building a new one...

IOA 2019 and beyond:
  • Harry Potter coaster (opening in 2019)
  • Jurassic Park/World coaster and possible land renovation (opening in 2020)
  • Super Nintendo World: Hyrule (opening in 2022-24)
USF 2019 and beyond:
  • T2 replacement/Bourne show (opening in 2019)
  • Super Nintendo World: Pokémon (opening in 2021-24)
  • Ministry of Magic (timeline currently unknown)
  • Secret Life of Pets/Villain-Con (timeline currently unknown)
UOR 2019 and beyond:
  • Two new hotels (opening in 2019-20)
  • Volcano Bay expansion (opening in 2019-20)
  • ENTIRE NEW THEME PARK, SHOPPING CENTER, AND RESORT (opening in 2022-23)
Any questions?
That is a little blue sky for me. Let's see what actually gets built.

It's not as blue-sky as it seems. I'd be surprised if all of that isn't open by 2025.
I agree most of it seems likely to happen or is already happening. I will say that we honestly don't even know if VillainCon is actually a real thing or not though. As much as I trust @Alicia, she's been the only one to mention it so far, so i'm gonna need to hear it a little more through the rumor mill before i'll believe that it's happening.

Reactions: Magic-Man
I agree most of it seems likely to happen or is already happening. I will say that we honestly don't even know if VillainCon is actually a real thing or not though. As much as I trust @Alicia, she's been the only one to mention it so far, so i'm gonna need to hear it a little more through the rumor mill before i'll believe that it's happening.
I reported on Villian Con and I don’t believe it’s happening.

SLoP is still a better bet, but with Shrek’s lucky streak, maybe it’ll just stay open forever.

I reported on Villian Con and I don’t believe it’s happening.

SLoP is still a better bet, but with Shrek’s lucky streak, maybe it’ll just stay open forever.

After Univesal bought Dreamworks didn't they announce a new Shrek film? Maybe if that's a hit they'll try to do something with that. Or...keep penny pinching and keep the same show in there for eternity. :puke:

After Univesal bought Dreamworks didn't they announce a new Shrek film? Maybe if that's a hit they'll try to do something with that. Or...keep penny pinching and keep the same show in there for eternity. :puke:
If Shrek gets a new ride at the new park, this show will close by then at the latest. Until then, it seems to constantly be back-burnered.

If Shrek gets a new ride at the new park, this show will close by then at the latest. Until then, it seems to constantly be back-burnered.
Well the thing is they still have KZ and Fear Factor to get to as well and those projects will be more profitable if we are looking at Pokemon and Potter for the respective areas. I think there's just a general sense of "we'll get to it when we get to it". The Louis CK charges and then having to change voice actors probably didn't help either as it was a bit of a blow to the franchise.

Well the thing is they still have KZ and Fear Factor to get to as well and those projects will be more profitable if we are looking at Pokemon and Potter for the respective areas. I think there's just a general sense of "we'll get to it when we get to it". The Louis CK charges and then having to change voice actors probably didn't help either as it was a bit of a blow to the franchise.
Didn't stop them from including SLoP, with Max's new voice in the new nighttime show, right?

It's funny cause they seem to keep wanting to close Shrek, and then chickening out at the last minute. The most recent example being over the summer. But hey, at least when they canceled the closure this time we got a 10th HHN house out of it.

Also, somewhat unrelated, but we still have 1 more year before KidZone closes for whatever is taking it over. So, enjoy the Woody Woodpecker Coaster for another year, because this will definitely be its last.

Didn't stop them from including SLoP, with Max's new voice in the new nighttime show, right?

It's funny cause they seem to keep wanting to close Shrek, and then chickening out at the last minute. The most recent example being over the summer. But hey, at least when they canceled the closure this time we got a 10th HHN house out of it.

Also, somewhat unrelated, but we still have 1 more year before KidZone closes for whatever is taking it over. So, enjoy the Woody Woodpecker Coaster for another year, because this will definitely be its last.

:'(