Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
The Wrap has reported that James Gunn, is now in talks to write & direct the sequel to the David Ayer 2016 film, Suicide Squad.

Previously, Mel Gibson was rumored to be apart of the creative team for the project; but that went nowhere.

There is no release date.

EDIT:

So Borys Kit's form THR has something else to add..

Last edited:
What happened to Gavin O'Connor?

Maybe that version just died off when lack of support and pushing for other projects began to come in (such as Wonder Woman 1984, Bird's of Prey, and others)?

Considering his script on The Belko Experiment, I am more than fine with Gunn handling this. Especially if it taps more into the top secret op factor of Suicide Squad. Hell, I wouldn't mind them using Assault on Arkham as an inspiration.

Last edited:
If Gunn's truly banished from working within Marvel, this is the next best thing. I believe Gunn will come up with an irreverent, entertaining, boundary-pushing caper - which is exactly what a studio Suicide Squad movie needs to be.

I mean, is it a bad punishment when you are also with Patty Jenkins, James Wan, and Matt Reeves?

My post was more of a joke, which is how you took it (I think). Wonder Woman was the only DCEU film I liked, so I can't speak to the quality of James Wan (even though I didn't care much for Furious 7) or Matt Reeves, yet the production problems for the latter are a little concerning.

My post was more of a joke, which is how you took it (I think). Wonder Woman was the only DCEU film I liked, so I can't speak to the quality of James Wan (even though I didn't care much for Furious 7) or Matt Reeves, yet the production problems for the latter are a little concerning.

Oh trust me, I tried to do a joke.

That said, Reeves has done fantastic work with the Apes series; and Wan has had a great track record in multiple genres.

Seeing Gunn joining this group, is fascinating.

Oh trust me, I tried to do a joke.

That said, Reeves has done fantastic work with the Apes series; and Wan has had a great track record in multiple genres.

Seeing Gunn joining this group, is fascinating.

The only Apes movie I've seen is the first one with James Franco. I really need to remedy that some day.

The only Apes movie I've seen is the first one with James Franco. I really need to remedy that some day.

I highly recommend giving the other prequel films a shot. The way they are done is a great use of building everything up.

Marvel/Disney's knee jerk reaction may bite them in the mouse's tail.

I don't think it's going to hurt them in the long, but man is it going to leave a sour taste in a few for when Guardians 3 hits.

Speaking of Guardians, Drax wants in on Gunn's Suicidal Squad.

I imagine the moment it was announced that Disney was firing Gunn, WB execs scrambled for their phones to call him and offer him something.

I’m honestly not surprised in the least about this. Seems like a pretty smart fit for the property. Especially since the first Suicide Squad was clearly trying to copy the look and energy of the first Guardians.

However, I do think it wouldn’t be a smart move to recast Will Smith or Margot Robbie. I can absolutely see everyone else getting cut though.

I imagine the moment it was announced that Disney was firing Gunn, WB execs scrambled for their phones to call him and offer him something.

I’m honestly not surprised in the least about this. Seems like a pretty smart fit for the property. Especially since the first Suicide Squad was clearly trying to copy the look and energy of the first Guardians.

However, I do think it wouldn’t be a smart move to recast Will Smith or Margot Robbie. I can absolutely see everyone else getting cut though.

I think Will & Margo are safe, considering for Margo the Birds of Prey coming out in 2020.

Will, would be a safe bet; but that's also considering how big of a name he still is, in some regard.

I think Will & Margo are safe, considering for Margo the Birds of Prey coming out in 2020.

Will, would be a safe bet; but that's also considering how big of a name he still is, in some regard.

Will is die hard David Ayers fan....hints why he was attached to Bright and Suicide Squad. He might unattached himself and lets be honest he isn't good at comedic films as in the past.

James Gunn will continue to direct and write Suicide Squad, in light of the news of his return to Guardians.

Idris Elba is also now a possible candidate to replace Will Smith as Deadshot.