Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Attendance Tracker

I am sure they will bump down overall vacation prices for the UK and then play other games to shake you down.

I just can’t imagine a scenario where Disney drops their price. They will need to add something else on to justify the price but they already include Memory Maker. Maybe Disney Dollars if they still exist or something that seems like a good deal but probably isn’t.

Was hardly anyone even able to book free dining anyway anymore? Seems like they only offered it in limited enough supply to say they had it. The pin codes for a while had a separate allotment it seems but those haven't been worth anything for like 3 years now.

Free dining going away would be a blessing.

It's a massive scam anyway. You have to select specific deals to include free dining which barely costs anything less than buying it anyway plus it's not worth it.

When I booked this year, the free dining package was $1200 more than just buying the hotel and tickets as a package directly from Disney. To justify the 'free' dining for every place we wanted to visit we would have had to order the most expensive thing on the menu allowed by it. Even in hindsight, we ate a lot at Disney and I don't think I could have handled any more dining there.

Ditto "Fall Break" which seems to have varying dates but has become quite common across the South.
Exactly. Many school systems, in part due to their earlier starting schedules, have been incorporating a Fall break vacation as an add on to the Columbus three day weekend. I quit going on vacation during that week due to two reasons, ie. the large crowds at both resorts during the week and the recent cycle of really bad October weather in the southeast USA that makes it a pain to travel.

Somewhat off-topic, but I think ultimately relevant to the discussion at hand here ...

Did my first trip to New Orleans this week, spent almost all my time in the tourist district French Quarter. Obviously a lot of (adult) fun, but the thing that surprised me the most: how cheap it was compared to Orlando.

On Bourbon Street--think CityWalk only a real city street--a chain of bars sell the "hand grenade," a grain alcohol slushee in a cheesy souvenir plastic cup. Had to buy one just to say I did. The price? $6. In other words, a potent alcoholic slushee with a plastic cup to take home costs less than a frozen Butterbeer without a cup. I followed up with a local craft beer--$5. In ground zero for tourism in the city. Nearby Spirits is the new tourist trap bar--they do a drink in a flashy glass, similar to HHN. $15, so roughly comparable--until you realize their mug holds at least twice as much as an HHN glass, and is a lot more potent to boot. Meanwhile 20-oz Bud Lights were like $5.

Nearby, Cafe DuMonde is sort of an old, touristy Krispy Kreme. It's iconic enough it even has its own gift shop. I ordered their specialty (really the only thing on the menu)--a cafe au lait in a real mug and three beignets, fried donut knots that are big enough I really should have shared them. Total price: $6, 10% (!) sales tax included. Compare this to Sprinkles or any of the specialty MNSSHP desserts. With tax, that's what I paid for a tiny Jack Skellington cake push-pop.

Carousel Bar is another gimmicky spot, but one located in a hotel that makes the Grand Floridian look like a Comfort Inn. Their house specialty craft cocktails--top shelf liquors, fresh mixers, hand-shaken by professionals--are $12. I also had a Louisiana-exclusive craft beer, comparable to Dufftoberfest or Kungaloosh: $6. Try getting a Jen's Tattoo and a Kungaloosh for less than $20 at Nomad.

I've lived in the bubble too long, but visiting another tourist mecca drove home just how next-level-insane WDW and UOR prices have climbed in recent years. The lifestylers will always continue to come, but I have to think guests who've been elsewhere in the country just come here and have sticker shock. And not even ticket prices--just having to pay $8 for a Bud Light. That has to discourage mom and dad from coming back again every year or every two years.

Somewhat off-topic, but I think ultimately relevant to the discussion at hand here ...

Did my first trip to New Orleans this week, spent almost all my time in the tourist district French Quarter. Obviously a lot of (adult) fun, but the thing that surprised me the most: how cheap it was compared to Orlando.

On Bourbon Street--think CityWalk only a real city street--a chain of bars sell the "hand grenade," a grain alcohol slushee in a cheesy souvenir plastic cup. Had to buy one just to say I did. The price? $6. In other words, a potent alcoholic slushee with a plastic cup to take home costs less than a frozen Butterbeer without a cup. I followed up with a local craft beer--$5. In ground zero for tourism in the city. Nearby Spirits is the new tourist trap bar--they do a drink in a flashy glass, similar to HHN. $15, so roughly comparable--until you realize their mug holds at least twice as much as an HHN glass, and is a lot more potent to boot. Meanwhile 20-oz Bud Lights were like $5.

Nearby, Cafe DuMonde is sort of an old, touristy Krispy Kreme. It's iconic enough it even has its own gift shop. I ordered their specialty (really the only thing on the menu)--a cafe au lait in a real mug and three beignets, fried donut knots that are big enough I really should have shared them. Total price: $6, 10% (!) sales tax included. Compare this to Sprinkles or any of the specialty MNSSHP desserts. With tax, that's what I paid for a tiny Jack Skellington cake push-pop.

Carousel Bar is another gimmicky spot, but one located in a hotel that makes the Grand Floridian look like a Comfort Inn. Their house specialty craft cocktails--top shelf liquors, fresh mixers, hand-shaken by professionals--are $12. I also had a Louisiana-exclusive craft beer, comparable to Dufftoberfest or Kungaloosh: $6. Try getting a Jen's Tattoo and a Kungaloosh for less than $20 at Nomad.

I've lived in the bubble too long, but visiting another tourist mecca drove home just how next-level-insane WDW and UOR prices have climbed in recent years. The lifestylers will always continue to come, but I have to think guests who've been elsewhere in the country just come here and have sticker shock. And not even ticket prices--just having to pay $8 for a Bud Light. That has to discourage mom and dad from coming back again every year or every two years.

I mean...I'd argue this is not a normal price lineup for a touristy city. Go to NYC or DC or Vegas and things are going to run you similar prices as what you're paying in Orlando for drinks.

I mean...I'd argue this is not a normal price lineup for a touristy city. Go to NYC or DC or Vegas and things are going to run you similar prices as what you're paying in Orlando for drinks.

Well, considering most NO advertisements emphasize how affordable a destination it is ("A European City on a Po'Boy Budget"), that's not surprising. And it might be quite telling that WDW and UOR have supposedly had flat attendance this year while SWO and BGT have bounced back.

Hurricane?

No, this was people leaving Memphis to go somewhere. My Mom has been in Gulf Shores, the past week. She stayed, I had a friend shift a stay from Destin over to South Carolina to avoid Michael.

The point is more flew out of a market like Memphis at the beginning of fall break as opposed to spring break. This is a major indicator of changing vacation patterns.

I'm honestly rarely shocked by pricing at theme parks, tbh. But I do also go to a lot of events in arenas, stadiums, and even movie theaters. Once you've paid $7 for a soda, $3.50 doesn't look so bad.

But it's all relative. Funny story.. I was planning a trip to Dollywood and this actually happened to me twice. People kept referencing the high cost of parking on TripAdvisor, that they couldn't believe the cost of parking, that the parking is highway robbery. I was like Jesus.. how much could parking be? Looked it up.. $12 to park at the time (now up to $15 so wonder what reviews look like now) vs $20-$22 in Orlando.

Happened again.. researching the Dollywood DreamMore Resort and coming across a lot of mentions of the Song & Hearth breakfast buffet and how it ain't cheap. Review after review mentioning its higher price point. Even NOW glancing at TripAdvisor and the first three reviews all mention it:

"If you like high prices"
"This is not a cheap buffet."
"Expensive but worth it for a special occasion"

The cost of this breakfast buffet? A whopping $17.95. These people must come on Disney or Universal property and have a stroke.

I'm honestly rarely shocked by pricing at theme parks, tbh. But I do also go to a lot of events in arenas, stadiums, and even movie theaters. Once you've paid $7 for a soda, $3.50 doesn't look so bad.

But it's all relative. Funny story.. I was planning a trip to Dollywood and this actually happened to me twice. People kept referencing the high cost of parking on TripAdvisor, that they couldn't believe the cost of parking, that the parking is highway robbery. I was like Jesus.. how much could parking be? Looked it up.. $12 to park at the time (now up to $15 so wonder what reviews look like now) vs $20-$22 in Orlando.

Happened again.. researching the Dollywood DreamMore Resort and coming across a lot of mentions of the Song & Hearth breakfast buffet and how it ain't cheap. Review after review mentioning its higher price point. Even NOW glancing at TripAdvisor and the first three reviews all mention it:

"If you like high prices"
"This is not a cheap buffet."
"Expensive but worth it for a special occasion"

The cost of this breakfast buffet? A whopping $17.95. These people must come on Disney or Universal property and have a stroke.

They've been to SDC where parking is free

SSC also had a "retired" mug sale this year. We bought a 2012 Christmas season mug for 8 bucks back in April, free refills all year.

More indications of attendance issues at WDW....From WDW Magic a couple of hours ago (10/15/18)...."This year has so far seen less sold out nights (Mickey's Halloween Party) than in previous years, with only the opening night on August 17, Sept. 14, Oct. 4, and now (as of 10/15/18) Oct. 31 being sold out. The Oct. 31 date has traditionally sold out within weeks of tickets going on sale".......also......."The operating hours of several attractions at AK (Kilimanjaro Safaris, Gorilla Falls Trail, Kali, Maharajah Trail) are being reduced through the remainder of the year."