Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Magic Kingdom (General Discussion)

It's finally coming down!
prince-charming-regal-carrousel-refurbishment-11022018-4.jpg

PHOTOS: Scrim Removal Begins at Prince Charming Regal Carrousel in Magic Kingdom - Blog Mickey

We're never going to get it, but a version of Journey to the Center of the Earth would be an incredible addition to Adventureland.
JttCotE, while nice, just isn't realistic as you alude, and anything Indy seems like it'll be a DHS thing. So what's Disney's next biggest non-Pirates IP that would fit Adventureland (at least in theme)? Moana. I sort of feel like it might feel slightly out of place in the land, but give the IP a legit E-ticket and no one cares.

You'd rather them update a go-kart track in the Magic Kingdom instead of tearing it out and putting in something much more worthy? Yea, no.
Yeah, because I don’t think it should be at the top of the priority list. There’s already an attraction sitting empty in the land, and nearly every operating ride in the area needs work (whether maintenance or updating).

If I had $300 million to fix up Space Mountain, Carousel of Progress, add a small scene to the PeopleMover, and update the Speedway versus a new ride for $300 million on the Speedway plot, I would absolutely take the first option.

Yeah, because I don’t think it should be at the top of the priority list. There’s already an attraction sitting empty in the land, and nearly every operating ride in the area needs work (whether maintenance or updating).

If I had $300 million to fix up Space Mountain, Carousel of Progress, add a small scene to the PeopleMover, and update the Speedway versus a new ride for $300 million on the Speedway plot, I would absolutely take the first option.

I'll agree that Space Mountain needs a thorough rehab, and possibly even a track makeover. However, that won't happen until after Tron opens up because it is one of the most popular rides in the park and they need the capacity like you said.

I'll also agree with you that there should not be an attraction sitting empty (Stitch's Great Escape) in the world's busiest theme park. I can't really understand why they are dragging their feet with what to put in there. Maybe they can't decide if Wreck-It Ralph is really sustainable?

Here is where I strongly disagree. You say tearing out the Tommowland Speedway should not be at the top of the priority list, but you'd rather them update/fix the Speedway, the Carousel of Progress and the People-Mover? I can't make any logical sense of that...I've stated multiple times there is no place in the Magic Kingdom for a go-kart track and I will say that till I'm blue in the face. Carousel of Progress is so outdated it's comical; the only time I have even gone on it is to enjoy the air conditioned seating. They should be tearing it out instead of spending any more money on it. The People-Mover is fine the way it is, there's no reason or point to add another "scene" to it.

It's my opinion that since they needed to close the Speedway and alter the track to make room for Tron, it would've been the best time to re-purpose the whole area and give it a fresh futuristic look. Now they're going to have a new coaster going over old sputtering go-karts...

Here is where I strongly disagree. You say tearing out the Tommowland Speedway should not be at the top of the priority list, but you'd rather them update/fix the Speedway, the Carousel of Progress and the People-Mover? I can't make any logical sense of that...I've stated multiple times there is no place in the Magic Kingdom for a go-kart track and I will say that till I'm blue in the face. Carousel of Progress is so outdated it's comical; the only time I have even gone on it is to enjoy the air conditioned seating. They should be tearing it out instead of spending any more money on it. The People-Mover is fine the way it is, there's no reason or point to add another "scene" to it.

It's my opinion that since they needed to close the Speedway and alter the track to make room for Tron, it would've been the best time to re-purpose the whole area and give it a fresh futuristic look. Now they're going to have a new coaster going over old sputtering go-karts...

Carousel of Progress is the thesis statement of the whole land. Without it, Tomorrowland is just Disney’s Sci-Fi adjacent properties and a rocket to space: the land. The finale needs an update, but the rest of the show is in better shape than most of the park is. It and the PeopleMover also have monster capacities; making both of them more appealing would go a long way towards making the rest of the park more bearable.

It’s not impossible or even ridiculously expensive a premise, either; a new sign out in front of Carousel increased attendance by a noticeable measure just a couple years back. As to the go-karts, I still say go electric and add some futuristic set-pieces. Rip it out when there’s no space left to do something cool elsewhere.

^^ This part, why build back an inferior version of something that is so long past it's sell by date. The go kart track has no nostalgic value that couldn't be found a dozen other places in the country. It is not unique.