Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney's Current Approach to Theme Parks

belloq87

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
Universal Exports
I know specific little details of this are being discussed elsewhere, but Bob Iger had some quite illuminating things to say about how he feels about theme parks in a broad sense, and I think it's worth considering in the larger context of what Disney is doing with its theme parks...

Disney’s Bob Iger Talks Streaming, Park Plans, and Learning From Kodak - Barron's

To his credit (sort of), I think he very clearly and openly spells out his approach to the parks (and it's something we've been able to surmise for a while). Under the remainder of his regime, any new attractions are to feature IP, and any older attractions that don't feature IP are, essentially, second-rate and generic. What he indirectly says about Expedition Everest, in particular, is actually kind of infuriating.

Needless to say, I think this mindset is catastrophically wrong-headed for the creative future of the parks, but I think this is a subject worth talking about, even on these Uni-centric boards. As someone who loves both resorts, I'm deeply troubled by this mentality.

Last edited:
It seems to me, that they will try to invest into things that would potentially bring the most amount of profit into the park's, but what they aren't accounting for in the larger projects; is the outcomes of fast-tracking with bloated budgets.

Pixar Pier & Toy Story Land notably come to mind real quick for just 2018 alone.

It seems to me, that they will try to invest into things that would potentially bring the most amount of profit into the park's, but what they aren't accounting for in the larger projects; is the outcomes of fast-tracking with bloated budgets.

Pixar Pier & Toy Story Land notably come to mind real quick for just 2018 alone.

That's an interesting point. I think there are certainly projects (with bloated budgets or not) that they believe they have to nail, creatively (Pandora and Galaxy's Edge), but I also feel there are projects where they think they can just coast on the IP value without really going the extra mile (while still spending a ton of money).

I find it all pretty hilarious. You can also thank the successes Harry Potter and UOR for this IP heavy theme park plan.

The chances of Disney making a “non-IP” driven ride or land are slim to none. Those days are over.

That might be true but the words "shelf life" come into play with these new IP attractions. Hope they plan on spending more $$$ in the future to replace attractions because what's hot today won't be hot tomorrow.

I’m surprised he’d come out with that quote about Everest, but other than that, about what I expect.

This could be me reading too much into it, but I feel Universal/Comcast has really shaken up the way Iger thinks about the parks....For good or for bad, its gotten them to get moving

The comment about Everest is probably justified as it was overhyped from the beginning....Actually, he could have made that comment about Animal Kingdom as a whole

This could be me reading too much into it, but I feel Universal/Comcast has really shaken up the way Iger thinks about the parks....For good or for bad, its gotten them to get moving

The comment about Everest is probably justified as it was overhyped from the beginning....Actually, he could have made that comment about Animal Kingdom as a whole
DAK is probably the best themed park in Florida (although Dino-Rama May put it behind IOA). The only thing holding it back is the need for more rides.

I think the quote isn't really what he means. Here's why.

The whole quote requires added context added by the writer to lead us to think he's talking about Expedition Everest. I think he's talking about a generic coaster and the choice of India was poor as it lined up with an offering the parks had already*. So yes the MO from here on out is exactly what we think it'll be: character based additions to ground the parks. Problem is it's the non-movie or TV show based attractions that also receive such praise and waits to this day, like BTMR, HM, Space, Soarin, and more.

*This also says a lot about how he views the park if one of the headliner attractions in a park that just received $1bn in investments.

The whole quote requires added context added by the writer to lead us to think he's talking about Expedition Everest. I think he's talking about a generic coaster and the choice of India was poor as it lined up with an offering the parks had already*. So yes the MO from here on out is exactly what we think it'll be: character based additions to ground the parks. Problem is it's the non-movie or TV show based attractions that also receive such praise and waits to this day, like BTMR, HM, Space, Soarin, and more.

*This also says a lot about how he views the park if one of the headliner attractions in a park that just received $1bn in investments.

I just wish they would give Space Mountain the love it deserves. Hopefully after Tron opens.

I feel he is in the headspace that if you're coming to Disney or Universal you're expecting to be immersed in IP driven lands...Where as certain other parks from around the world can create their own stories from scratch...That's how I read it anyway

@Nick I appreciate the theming and ideas for Animal Kingdom, I feel it could use a more diverse line up of attractions...It could be the best Disney park if they expanded it even more...For me it's still behind Magic Kingdom and yes, even Epcot