Disney's Current Approach to Theme Parks | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Current Approach to Theme Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The whole quote requires added context added by the writer to lead us to think he's talking about Expedition Everest. I think he's talking about a generic coaster and the choice of India was poor as it lined up with an offering the parks had already*.

I think this is a generous reading of his comment. Name-dropping India out of nowhere seems like too much to be a coincidence -- I don't know what other coasters are out there themed to India. It's just such a specific call-out.

i think for the most part he doesnt care what the online community thinks
sometimes a good thing
This right here. I am as big a fanboy as they come, by both volume and concentration, but the fanbase isn't outraged; a fraction of a fraction of a fraction is outraged, and neither Iger nor anyone else really gives a fart in the wind about your outrage. Sorry, kids, but it's true.

Reactions: twebber55
I think this is a generous reading of his comment. Name-dropping India out of nowhere seems like too much to be a coincidence -- I don't know what other coasters are out there themed to India. It's just such a specific call-out.
Maybe he doesn't think highly of Rhode...I do know he's quite a loudmouth around the company and he probably fought having Avatar in Animal Kingdom (his baby) every step of the way

That’s a great train of thought... for Hollywood Studios and USF. Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and IOA have more depth and nuance, and should be treated as such.

Reactions: belloq87
He was actually quite on board with Pandora, but yes, I imagine Rhode is quite a thorn in Iger's side.
It seems he mentioned that he is quite unpopular sometimes for his views....I wonder how Iger works with Imagineering...I'm sure someone has a quick sentence fragment of a response to add to the discussion

That’s a great train of thought... for Hollywood Studios and USF. Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and IOA have more depth and nuance, and should be treated as such.
Each of these would take their own separate analysis I feel...Overall I feel appropriate IP versus shoehorned IP needs to be considered for each of these

This is such a wrong headed and non-Disney way of looking at the parks.

Disney used to lead the way and gave their guests things they didn't know they wanted. The real classics of Disney are things like Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Space Mountain, etc. Things that were created for the parks to be unique experiences. No one knew that was what they wanted, but it was what they wanted. Now everything (in true Hollywood fashion) has to be test marketed and show RoI in some way rather than the intangible "magic" that Disney pioneered. Every thing is focus grouped and has a cost analysis. This is how Disney will eventually kill their golden goose. They'll take away anything special and make it generic and dull.

That might be true but the words "shelf life" come into play with these new IP attractions. Hope they plan on spending more $$$ in the future to replace attractions because what's hot today won't be hot tomorrow.

There’s a reason why Disney takes its time to build something based on an IP. They want to make sure the IP had longevity.

Reactions: RevFreako
This is such a wrong headed and non-Disney way of looking at the parks.

Disney used to lead the way and gave their guests things they didn't know they wanted. The real classics of Disney are things like Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Space Mountain, etc. Things that were created for the parks to be unique experiences. No one knew that was what they wanted, but it was what they wanted. Now everything (in true Hollywood fashion) has to be test marketed and show RoI in some way rather than the intangible "magic" that Disney pioneered. Every thing is focus grouped and has a cost analysis. This is how Disney will eventually kill their golden goose. They'll take away anything special and make it generic and dull.

I have somewhat of a more open mind about IP attractions--given that unlike IP haunted houses, you can usually add something to the storyline--heck, I've been strongly hoping for an Inside Out-Cranium Command-re-skin in the Imagination theatre. But yes, this type of thinking is...sorely misguided. Of course, Uni has the same type of thinking. The only difference is that, at least with permanent attractions, IPs have always been Uni's bread and butter sans LC. If HHN had always been mostly IPs, no one would've gotten angry when TWD et al. began (obviously I hope they continue going back in the direction of originals).

Reactions: truejonas
So this is probably one of the weirdest things we’re ever going to see from Iger - him beefing with DisTwitter.

I also don’t know how much that tweet helps as he doubled down on calling it non-descript.
He specifically said it was NOT non-descript, Nick. I think you might have misread the tweet.