Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Toon Lagoon

What could replace toon lagoon down the line as a top frontrunner?
I would like for them to put in a Scooby doo. Then maybe get their family woodie coaster. Growing up near DC and going to KD, we always rode the Scooby Doo coaster and it was fun. So would be nice to have Scooby Doo they could even do a dark ride, before CF bought the Paramount parks, KD and KI had Scooby Doo dark ride shoooters and it was fun for what it was.

I would like for them to put in a Scooby doo. Then maybe get their family woodie coaster. Growing up near DC and going to KD, we always rode the Scooby Doo coaster and it was fun. So would be nice to have Scooby Doo they could even do a dark ride, before CF bought the Paramount parks, KD and KI had Scooby Doo dark ride shoooters and it was fun for what it was.
I would love a DC universe to replace toon lagoon but from Christopher Nolan’s dark knight series. But what would they do with marvel super hero island?

Stop trying to replace everything.
Fine I’ll slow it down but I’m saying will we see USF and IOA lands like 1 or 2 lands in both parks be replaced or updated with new film franchises? That’s what I mean not anymore than 1-2 themed lands updated/replaced. IOA might have more updated makeover themed lands in the future over USF theirs very little that they can do I would assume since their is new stuff going in their already for the future. We haven’t even heard t2:3D replacement their dragging it along.

Fine I’ll slow it down but I’m saying will we see USF and IOA lands like 1 or 2 lands in both parks be replaced or updated with new film franchises? That’s what I mean not anymore than 1-2 themed lands updated/replaced. IOA might have more updated makeover themed lands in the future over USF theirs very little that they can do I would assume since their is new stuff going in their already for the future. We haven’t even heard t2:3D replacement their dragging it along.
The answer to most of your questions today is, “maybe one day,” and, “we don’t know.”

The funny thing is, what ends up replacing some of the lands you’re talking about in 5, 10, or more years down the line, may very well not exist yet.

Universal could have a brand new hit film series that hasn’t even come out yet, and they could jump on it and want to get it into the parks as soon as possible after one of the films makes a billion dollars world wide.

It’s hard to guess what will replace theme park lands a decade or so out, because it’s hard to guess what will be popular in the future.

The answer to most of your questions today is, “maybe one day,” and, “we don’t know.”

The funny thing is, what ends up replacing some of the lands you’re talking about in 5, 10, or more years down the line, may very well not exist yet.

Universal could have a brand new hit film series that hasn’t even come out yet, and they could jump on it and want to get it into the parks as soon as possible after one of the films makes a billion dollars world wide.

It’s hard to guess what will replace theme park lands a decade or so out, because it’s hard to guess what will be popular in the future.
This is some Donnie Darko stuff

Quite true. Remember when Universal opened Harry Potter didn't even exist yet - and the book series was less than 2 years old when IOA opened.

Quite true. Remember when Universal opened Harry Potter didn't even exist yet - and the book series was less than 2 years old when IOA opened.
That's one way of looking at it. I tend to look at it this way: the Harry Potter franchise was roughly 10 years old before opening at IOA.

TLDR: precedence says its more likely we've already heard of whatever IPs are coming as future attractions... but maybe things are changing.

Full post below if you want to read on... :p

Universal tends to choose franchises that have been around for a while. Here are some examples of IPs which were 20+ years old when the attraction/land opened:
  • Toon Lagoon
  • Marvel
  • Nintendo (Mario / Donkey Kong, and the rumored Zelda / Pokemon)
  • Bourne - film will almost be 20 once it opens, based on a book from 1980
  • Monsters (at Fantastic Worlds)
  • Kong
  • Seuss
  • Themes/characters in Lost Continent
  • Alfred Hitchcock
  • Woody the Woodpecker
  • Curious George
  • Hanna Barbera
  • Simpsons
  • The Tonight Show (I argue this is more "Tonight Show" (which premiered 1954) than "Fallon" (who premiered on The Tonight Show in 2014), considering the entrance to the ride shows the long history of the show)
10+ years:
  • Jaws
  • Harry Potter
  • How to Train Your Dragon (we assume it's coming to Fantastic Worlds, will put it at 10+)
  • Kung Fu Panda (coming 2020 or 2021 in Beijing, film was 2008)
  • Terminator: franchise started in 1984 with The Terminator, attraction opened in 1996
  • Earthquake
5+ years:
  • Jurassic Park
  • Revenge of the Mummy (film: 1999, ride: 2004)
  • Fast and Furious (almost 10 years)
  • Fievel (not sure when the play area opened, but the first movie was 1986)
  • ET
  • Murder She Wrote
  • Back to the Future
There are some exceptions which were younger than 5 years:
  • Shrek: film released in 2001, ride in 2003
  • Secret Lives of Pets: film in 2016, ride to open in Hollywood soonish
  • Twister: film in 1996, ride in 1998
  • Back-draft: film in 1991, ride in 1992. (Fun fact - they are apparently producing a sequel)
  • Waterworld: film in 1995, show in Hollywood in same year
  • Fear Factor: show in 2001, attraction in 2005
  • Barney: show in 1991, attraction in 1995
  • Despicable Me: film 2010, attraction in 2012
  • Transformers: film in 2007, ride in 2011 in Singapore and Hollywood in 2012, though the IP as a whole is over 20 years old (cartoon in 1987)
  • MIB: film in 1997, ride in 2000
  • Jimmy Neutron: show in 2002, ride in 2003

While I agree that there's always a chance that Universal goes with something completely brand new, the precedence demonstrates that it's more likely we've already heard of it.

... I'll go ahead and poke some holes in my own argument...

1) Times are changing... Universal (and possibly Disney) believe people want newer IPs rather than nostalgic IPs. I don't have any hard evidence on this, but I could see someone making this argument and it just feels true. :p

2) One could argue, "All the old stuff has already been used, now they'll have to use newer stuff"... this is especially true if some of the unused IPs are never going to get signed (Star Trek, Godzilla, Lord of the Rings, Willa Wonka, Stephen King). I guess the counter point to this is that there's still tons out there, and maybe we just aren't thinking outside the box (whoever thought Bourne would be an attraction?).

3) From what I've read, Universal theme parks/Creative is trying to partner with their movie production teams to pipeline rides (I believe the first would be The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle (film in 2020)). If this is true, this could possibly mean a dramatic change - rides opening alongside the movie's release (or shortly thereafter).

Anyway... I agree and disagree.

Last edited:
I understand we may or may not see any themed lands updated replaced at either both USF and IOA but it will be interesting to
See what both parks have in mind after the new park opens like one user said to keep both parks fresh along with the new gate. I was just guessing LC, Toon Lagoon, Shrek, Fear Factor Live l, ET will stay but get updated. That’s my call I’m leaving Revenge Of the mummy out and MSHI unless it receives new attractions down the line. Theirs nowhere for Marvel to expand at IOA if it wanted to that’s the problem.

I think Scooby Doo hasn't been used properly and it would make a great toon lagoon replacement in my opinion. It's more relevant to kids all while being relevant to adults. It would be great to have a cool haunted mansion like ride for Scooby Doo, but my issue would be they need to base it on Scooby Doo Where Are You not any of the newer stuff because it isn't good. Also, it would be a good transition from skull island to marvel.

I think Scooby Doo hasn't been used properly and it would make a great toon lagoon replacement in my opinion. It's more relevant to kids all while being relevant to adults. It would be great to have a cool haunted mansion like ride for Scooby Doo, but my issue would be they need to base it on Scooby Doo Where Are You not any of the newer stuff because it isn't good. Also, it would be a good transition from skull island to marvel.

I mean, they can just stick a Scooby Doo dark ride where the Toon Lagoon theater is, and make a little mini land around it rather than retheming the entire area

It would be nice to have scooby doo land but would you think scooby doo is likely to come compared to other IP’s that are out their? I read on one website that something Legendary related to go to replace toon lagoon. No I’m am not bringing up Godzilla and Kong but something like The Great Wall with Matt Damon? How about a Maze Runner land? I do want Jumanji though I’m sticking with the top choice I don’t think many universal fans would be up for it. A Halo Land would be awesome! Somehow if they can build the covenant along with where Master Chief explores his adventures in a outer space land.

I mean, they can just stick a Scooby Doo dark ride where the Toon Lagoon theater is, and make a little mini land around it rather than retheming the entire area
I like the idea of Scooby Doo, posted about it somewhere, Heck if they wanted they could go off of the amusement park island from the one movie. Do a dark ride, throw in a Mystery Machine kids ride, open up some quick grab Scooby Snax Shack. Would be nice

It would be nice to have scooby doo land but would you think scooby doo is likely to come compared to other IP’s that are out their? I read on one website that something Legendary related to go to replace toon lagoon. No I’m am not bringing up Godzilla and Kong but something like The Great Wall with Matt Damon? How about a Maze Runner land? I do want Jumanji though I’m sticking with the top choice I don’t think many universal fans would be up for it. A Halo Land would be awesome! Somehow if they can build the covenant along with where Master Chief explores his adventures in a outer space land.

Scooby-Doo, as much as it is a bit..older, it's still iconic and evergreen in it's own nature.

Plus, it has a face that can be marketed, and be thought of real quick. And if the WBDhabi dark ride is anything to go off of in a direction to pull, we could be in for some fun.