Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 233 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think this is the fascinating aspect of the whole thing. If RotR is having enough issues that they're comfortable opening everything else earlier than what was expected, how long can we expect to wait for RotR?
Yup.

The fact that it’s not opening with either land also tells me it’s a big issue with the ride system itself not functioning the way they want it to, not just Anaheim or Orlando’s version causing issues individual of each other.

I don’t see anything tactical about having one of two promised ETickets operational during opening. It’s honestly a lose-lose situation with the opening timelines: either the public loses with how it’s currently being handled, or operations loses with opening everything at once in November.

Yup.

The fact that it’s not opening with either land also tells me it’s a big issue with the ride system itself not functioning the way they want it to, not just Anaheim or Orlando’s version causing issues individual of each other.
Yep. Betting they have no idea when the issues will be fixed.....the more complicated a ride, the more potential for problems

Reactions: Nick
Yup.

I really don't know what to make of this at all.

Anaheim is probably opening a little earlier than expected but DHS is opening way earlier than expected. I had thought it was originally going to be December for DHS, then it was rumoured for late October at a push. I never would have thought August.

If RotR has a serious problem that requires some thought on how to fix, the teams working on Galaxy's Edge are going to be diverted away from the ride and will finish the rest of the land quicker.

I don't disagree about the land lacking a little pop of color, but once inside the land, I don't think it will be something that's incredibly noticeable either. It's just the look of the land. Hell, Tatooine and Jakku both are very similar in look and feel to Batuu. So there's precedent for this type of look within the Star Wars canon.
They’ll also have quite a few tree plantings between now and opening as well. It won’t be as brown as it looks currently.

I do hope that when they expand Star Wars, they use a white or snow environment (my preference) or a forest environment.
That would be a nice contrast to this land.

And there is a precedent of lands opening before attractions. New Orleans Square, I believe Tomorrowland had this, and I’m sure others.
Tons of others. Even their 2 most recent parks:
-Animal Kingdom opened without Kali River and the entirety of Asia completed.
-Shanghai Disney didn’t have Roaring Rapids open either.

This is nothing new.

I thought the press announcement was that RoTR would open “later this year”.

If that’s true, it may not be as big a deal as some of you are making.

I’d rather they get the ride working perfectly then open it early and have constant down time or broken effects like Gringotts did.

They could open the park with no rides and people would still come.

If the RotR is as good as it sounds the wait will be worth it.

Personally I think the land looks amazing - very Star Wars.

it's really still too early to talk colors, there will undoubtedly be more planting to go in plus once all the characters and stalls are dropped in there will be plenty of color.

We have all seen the below before but I would imagine we still have greenery to be added and the softer placemaking elements like in the concept art and model:
swl-1000x520.jpg

IMG_40211.jpg
Exactly my point. I guess Nute can't read. I know its not all finished and with all the greenery that hasn't been placed yet will bring more life. The cheap excuse of "it's brown because the movie has lots of earth tones" is a poor argument. This is a NEW world, they could have done anything they wanted. I'm sure they will bring in more color and it will look a lot better than it is now, but from the preview video, it's nothing to faint about. Looking good so far.

They’ll also have quite a few tree plantings between now and opening as well. It won’t be as brown as it looks currently.

I do hope that when they expand Star Wars, they use a white or snow environment (my preference) or a forest environment.

This is nothing new.

The only thing that seems different to me is that: a) This land is dependent on having both rides due to the needed capacity and b) The inability to get this ride ready for action after a multi-year build is troubling. To open an entire theme park and be missing one ride isn't the end of the world. This is the equivalent of opening a theme park and missing 60% of the rides. AK opening without Asia is also ridiculous.

I keep wondering why this happened. Was it trying to make too sophisticated of a ride?

I guess I'd prefer them to delay opening ROTR rather than open it and get annoyed at the constant break downs. It is a worry however that they have had such a long time to get this built but are still coming up against issues which are delaying the opening.

They are going to have to make it very clear this isn't open at the gates before people enter the park - most people probably won't realise that one of the big rides is not open yet.

Didn't Forbidden Journey have a lot of technical problems when it first opened? I guess thats what you get for rides which push boundaries?

Reactions: Dhdhddh and Nick
Exactly my point. I guess Nute can't read. I know its not all finished and with all the greenery that hasn't been placed yet will bring more life. The cheap excuse of "it's brown because the movie has lots of earth tones" is a poor argument. This is a NEW world, they could have done anything they wanted. I'm sure they will bring in more color and it will look a lot better than it is now, but from the preview video, it's nothing to faint about. Looking good so far.

While it is technically a “new” world. It’s obviously takes influence from the film’s most iconic locations. I think that’s kind of the point.

Reactions: natespf
I keep going back and forth on if I want to make the effort to get out there when I'm in orlando for work early september or when I'm there mid september for HHN. Think I'll "Wait N' See (TM)" how opening goes. Either way it'll be an absolute cluster fudge. The only thing that's making me lean towards going is smuggler's run not having FP. That's pretty nice.

Woah, I literally just said that I thought it was funny that people were saying it looked too brown and I gave one of the many reasons why they made it the way they did. Your hostility is completely uncalled for.

To break it down even deeper on why it can’t look more new, is because Disney’s LucasFilm has decided to go with the drab natural tones for the sequel trilogy. This land takes place in the sequel trilogy, therefore they’re required by brand integrity to make the land similar to locales we’ve seen before and make it look like something that we’d see in the sequel trilogy. People don’t have free reign in terms of creativity in major corporations, and Disney is no exception.

Woah, I literally just said that I thought it was funny that people were saying it looked too brown and I gave one of the many reasons why they made it the way they did. Your hostility is completely uncalled for.

To break it down even deeper on why it can’t look more new, is because Disney’s LucasFilm has decided to go with the drab natural tones for the sequel trilogy. This land takes place in the sequel trilogy, therefore they’re required by brand integrity to make the land similar to locales we’ve seen before and make it look like something that we’d see in the sequel trilogy. People don’t have free reign in terms of creativity in major corporations, and Disney is no exception.

Sad but true. I wish that they would have used a setting similar to the Imperial base in Rogue One. That was the first time that a Star Wars film depicted a beautiful planet. Many of the spaceports and planets are depicted as run down or desert-like. Once they add the plants/trees, this land will look better. Heck, TSL looked like a wasteland prior to the planting of the trees.

Sad but true. I wish that they would have used a setting similar to the Imperial base in Rogue One. That was the first time that a Star Wars film depicted a beautiful planet. Many of the spaceports and planets are depicted as run down or desert-like. Once they add the plants/trees, this land will look better. Heck, TSL looked like a wasteland prior to the planting of the trees.
From my understanding, the sequel trilogy was pitched by GL as having an even further run-down aesthetic from the OT (I’ve even read the phrase post-apocalyptic.) LucasFilm took that as the aesthetic, hence why locales seem isolated and desolate.

And I’m out here saying it doesn’t look *enough* like Tattooine haha

We all have different preferences. I think, personally, it should have been set on a series staple, but I will in no way deny what they’ve built is incredible

Let’s be real here. They are going to delay the opening of ROTR, but it still going to have issues when it actually opens. Delaying it while opening everything else is nice, but still gonna have a lot of ticked off people who didn’t know it wasn’t opening.

Yup.

It almost has to be with the elevators. Everything else is just a trackless dark ride they've been running for years. If a I had to guess it's the lockdown systems for the vehicles before the elevators can move, or the elevators themselves.

If they have essentially a motion base on an elevator, that is lilkely the issue. And the key moment of the ride, apparently, so it has to be reliable.

Hope it's not a Yeti issue. I wonder if they designed a single story ride bypass. Transformers has dual elevators, and I assume can run at half capacity. I'd certainly assume RotR does too. If not, that was a MAJOR design flaw.

Reactions: HPFred
I feel like there were a combination of factors that led us to this point.
  • I think it's pretty clear Rise of the Resistance isn't ready.
  • The rest of the can be, so opening will earn them some money without putting a rush on Rise. (Why let that droid factory or blue milk stand just sit there not making money?)
  • If they know they aren't opening Rise to begin with, while teams are finishing up fixing the unreliable ride system inside, crews that would be working on other factors related to the guest areas for this ride can instead focus all of their energy on getting the rest of the land ready, which allows them to open even earlier.
If you're gonna do a phased opening anyway, may as well really focus on getting the first phase as ready as you can as early as you can... AND THEN get back to working on opening the busted ride after.

Personally, I'm surprised and happy to see them actually admit the other ride isn't ready. Hope they can get it ready before the end of the year though.

I mean. I don’t know why but it doesn’t both me that much. I really didn’t think this was coming to DHS until October/November and Disneyland June/July...

And there is a precedent of lands opening before attractions. New Orleans Square, I believe Tomorrowland had this, and I’m sure others.

Maybe they should have called this an announced soft opening?

This is nothing new.

Sorry, comparing the opening of Star Wars Land to a land's opening from 50 years is a hard argument to swallow - especially as some of the issues can be attributed to the death of Disney, himself. I don't recall anything on Tomorrowland though...?

Andy, comparing a whole theme park not opening with 1 ride also is not the same thing. Either way, Asia was a part of the first expansion of AK - which opened alongside Kali River Rapids later in early 1999. Roaring Rapids opened with Shangai but closed 3 months later due to severe issues.

Even if we went and counted New Orleans, Kali, and Rapids - that's 3 times in Disney's 64-year history. Maybe "nothing new", but also nothing normal, and 2 of the 3 had very extenuating circumstances. And to clarify - just because I don't like this move, doesn't mean I'm not going. It just doesn't pass the sniff test. Star Wars has been something everyone has been clamoring for. This is, for all intents and purposes, Disney's "Potter" response - and they are not opening their star, game-changing attraction with the land. If you're ok with it, cool. Like I stated before, personally - I'm not. Now if the ride isn't opening due to severe issues, then I could understand - but we don't know that at this point. Right now, it seems they are trying to stagger the opening to milk it more.

Sorry, comparing the opening of Star Wars Land to a land's opening from 50 years is a hard argument to swallow - especially as some of the issues can be attributed to the death of Disney, himself. I don't recall anything on Tomorrowland though...?

Andy, comparing a whole theme park not opening with 1 ride also is not the same thing. Either way, Asia was a part of the first expansion of AK - which opened alongside Kali River Rapids later in early 1999. Roaring Rapids opened with Shangai but closed 3 months later due to severe issues.

Even if we went and counted New Orleans, Kali, and Rapids - that's 3 times in Disney's 64-year history. Maybe "nothing new", but also nothing normal, and 2 of the 3 had very extenuating circumstances. And to clarify - just because I don't like this move, doesn't mean I'm not going. It just doesn't pass the sniff test. Star Wars has been something everyone has been clamoring for. This is, for all intents and purposes, Disney's "Potter" response - and they are not opening their star, game-changing attraction with the land. If you're ok with it, cool. Like I stated before, personally - I'm not. Now if the ride isn't opening due to severe issues, then I could understand - but we don't know that at this point. Right now, it seems they are trying to stagger the opening to milk it more.

You think RotR is done and they are intentionally opening this way to milk it?

Reactions: therock