Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS) | Page 33 | Inside Universal Forums

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
@Marni1971 seems to back up this report over on Magic. It's ridiculous to think that this, ROTR, and Ratatouille might all end up opening in 2020.

I am quite displeased, and pondering cancelling my January trip.
I don’t see Rise getting delayed to next year, particularly if Mickey really is this far behind schedule. If anything they’d be throwing the doors open for the holidays and hoping for the best.

Sometimes it may be best to stick with the old proven systems.

The curious thing is that the trackless is system is not a new one for Disney at this point (new for Disney in Orlando, but not worldwide), so I think delay has to have something to do with all the projection mapping stuff... even though the implication from the last D23 was that they'd been testing that stuff in a warehouse for a while at that point.

Yea I was planning on going to DHS in October to ride this and see the beginning of SWL. Now? Meh. I'd rather just spend a day at the pool or something

January was really kind of the sweet spot for travel next year for me, so if I don't hit Orlando then, I might not be able to get down there at all in 2020.

This could be the impetus I need to finally take a trip to Disneyland, but I'd be super bummed about missing out on Hagrid at Universal (and Universal in general).

If it is indeed the case, it's not shocking..but man, I do not envy any of the CM's come August (and that's not even mentioning that GE is opening alongside Food and Wine).

It's especially weird considering MMRR was slotted for Great Movie Ride's spot to save time on constructing a showbuilding so that it could be open in time for Galaxy's Edge.

I don’t see Rise getting delayed to next year, particularly if Mickey really is this far behind schedule. If anything they’d be throwing the doors open for the holidays and hoping for the best.

We'll see, obviously. The fact that insiders at Magic have not come out and said, "Yes, it's still going to open in 2019," would imply to me that they certainly haven't heard that it will.

They would’ve run into the same issues if they built a show building. It’s a tech issue, so the problems would’ve happened anywhere
Also, the plan was to upgrade the GMR ride system and give it a proper update overall if they were going to build MMRR separate.

There’s no guarantee that a full redo like that for GMR would be done yet either.

Here's a brief summary of what the status of this attraction currently appears to be, based primarily on what insiders - particularly @Marni1971 - have been saying over on Magic...

- It is extremely unlikely it hits its original target opening of pre-Galaxy's Edge, and there is a plausible worst case scenario where the ride doesn't open until 2020.
- Disney management is apparently aware having it open for the holiday crowds would be very useful for park capacity and operations.
- Its delay does not appear to be the result of an unforeseen technical issue, but rather an intentional choice.
- Rise of the Resistance (currently) should open before it.

So that's where it appears to stand.

I could accept technical problems being reason enough to result in a delay of an attraction. I wouldn't like it, but those things happen in this industry. I have a much harder time accepting pushing the opening back for arbitrary reasons, especially in a park like Hollywood Studios that needs capacity yesterday.

Here's a brief summary of what the status of this attraction currently appears to be, based primarily on what insiders - particularly @Marni1971 - have been saying over on Magic...

- It is extremely unlikely it hits its original target opening of pre-Galaxy's Edge, and there is a plausible worst case scenario where the ride doesn't open until 2020.
- Disney management is apparently aware having it open for the holiday crowds would be very useful for park capacity and operations.
- Its delay does not appear to be the result of an unforeseen technical issue, but rather an intentional choice.
- Rise of the Resistance (currently) should open before it.

So that's where it appears to stand.

I could accept technical problems being reason enough to result in a delay of an attraction. I wouldn't like it, but those things happen in this industry. I have a much harder time accepting pushing the opening back for arbitrary reasons, especially in a park like Hollywood Studios that needs capacity yesterday.
I actually don’t mind an opening for this ride being moved back. It’ll get lost in the shuffle opening alongside SWGE and it’s not like this ride would help much directly with those there for SWGE anyways.

The only reason this ride not opening is something that I slightly question is because RotR won’t be opening with the land. The opening of the land will be brutal, but those insane crowds won’t last long. It’ll still be busy, but the initial rush will be the worst of it until the holidays.

I don’t understand why Disney would push back the opening for completely arbitrary reasons.

I’m assuming it’s a money issue. Do they expect GE’s opening to be a super costly affair?

Just reading the "intentional choice" line, that could be taken as they decided to make changes to the ride at a late stage and that is causing the delay. Granted thats reading the summary above and not the original source, so the translation could invalidate that idea.

Just reading the "intentional choice" line, that could be taken as they decided to make changes to the ride at a late stage and that is causing the delay. Granted thats reading the summary above and not the original source, so the translation could invalidate that idea.
I was wondering if it meant getting all manpower available over to the Star Wars project?

I was wondering if it meant getting all manpower available over to the Star Wars project?

I honestly think that's the reason, and somewhat explains why they were able to make it to Late Summer as opposed to what was originally reported.

I'm going to guess, the focus will be getting Runaway Railway up by Thanksgiving, and then Resistance by IX's release; alongside Anaheim..

If for Railway, the choice is more..deliberate; then there is no reason why Disney won't speed things up once they are nearly done with Falcon and Batuu. Not to mention with Lightning now done, it clears things a bit up.

Last edited:
I honestly think that's the reason, and somewhat explains why they were able to make it to Late Summer as opposed to what was originally reported.

I'm going to guess, the focus will be getting Runaway Railway up by Thanksgiving, and then Resistance by IX's release; alongside Anaheim..

If for Railway, the choice is more..deliberate; then there is no reason why Disney won't speed things up once they are nearly done with Falcon and Batuu. Not to mention with Lightning now done, it clears things a bit up.
RotR is said to be on track to open before MMRR at this point.

Reactions: Alicia