Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2) | Page 39 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure there is goign to be an option to get greedy because they can't just make there be more land. The parking lot and surrounding land (excluding ponds) is around 115 acres, but I'm guessing they would want to get both a dry park and a water park in that space, so at best we are looking at about 30 acres for a water park and 85 acres for the fourth dry park. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to squeeze in another small hotel however, which could push the 4th park down to around 75 acres.
So 75 is not that far off considering IOA is ~85 with ~6 acres of pond inside of it.

I assume that Universal does not own the ponds? I've seen various maps and get a bit confused as to what they have control over and what they don't. It seems they own the area around the ponds (north, south, and west), but not east and possibly not the ponds themselves? Just trying to consider whether the ponds could be considered a 'part of the parks' (e.g. park lagoon or river for transportation) or if Universal is unable to use them in any way.

For example, the attached picture shows two sections of those eastern ponds under the control of Universal. If that's the case, they could potentially use the the ponds as a lagoon in the park, matching the size of IOA/USF while still leaving room for the water park. Obviously this all depends on how much control they would have over the use of these ponds. I understand they probably can't just fill them in with land, but I wonder, they relocate or reshape them? Can they build around them, build bridges over them, put docks/boats on them, use them for lagoon shows?
os-bz-universal-orlando-theme-park-expansion-20180205

Last edited:
So 75 is not that far off considering IOA is ~85 with ~6 acres of pond inside of it.

I assume that Universal does not own the ponds? I've seen various maps and get a bit confused as to what they have control over and what they don't. It seems they own the area around the ponds (north, south, and west), but not east and possibly not the ponds themselves? Just trying to consider whether the ponds could be considered a 'part of the parks' (e.g. park lagoon or river for transportation) or if Universal is unable to use them in any way.

For example, the attached picture shows two sections of those eastern ponds under the control of Universal. If that's the case, they could potentially use the the ponds as a lagoon in the park, matching the size of IOA/USF while still leaving room for the water park. Obviously this all depends on how much control they would have over the use of these ponds. I understand they probably can't just fill them in with land, but I wonder, they relocate or reshape them? Can they build around them, build bridges over them, put docks/boats on them, use them for lagoon shows?
os-bz-universal-orlando-theme-park-expansion-20180205
That map is quite old.

I just did a rough outline of the main developable area owned by Universal on the latest google maps imagery, which is from December.
tC7Ckkdl.png

They have already filled in one pond, and it will be replaced by the ponds shown in the video posted on the last page. Generally ponds can be relocated but not reduced, although things like the canal basically have to stay where they are. So the answer to your question is that yes, they could move some of the pond area to be a park lagoon.

And an 80 acre park including 5 acres of lagoon would be almost the exact same as what USF is today.

Reactions: RFRees
I guess I don't understand this sentiment. I feel like 10 million may be a bit arbitrary. Has Steve Burke said this?

This is what i've heard from others, that Universal knows that once you get around 10m a year in a park the guest satisfaction plummets. This means they're aiming for around 30k a day in a park.

This is what i've heard from others, that Universal knows that once you get around 10m a year in a park the guest satisfaction plummets. This means they're aiming for around 30k a day in a park.
Wait, so this would mean they should be thinking about opening another park before 10 million, not after.

It means they want to know they cannot support the guest satisfaction at the current parks anymore and need to expand. It's less a "oh we hit it need to expand" and more a "ok this is the new normal AND we can do more".
I hope they'd be a bit more proactive (and use projected numbers) to stay ahead of guest satisfaction, rather than wait to maintain 10 million for years... but expecting them to be proactive might be too hopeful honestly.

So where that gray area is we don’t know what will go their it could be just filled with hotels and a citywalk counting out any chances of a 4th or 5th dry park after fantastic worlds and a second water park.
Correct, or it could just remain a parking lot, we don't know.

Last edited:
3-5 year completion. I'm willing to bet Universal, since they have a hand in it, makes sure it's 3
So your saying for sure Universal Orlando will have 3 dry parks and one water park? The rest will be just lots of hotels and a citywalk? That’s it? If we look at the universal Orlando expansion property what we see in red is where the new park should go their are extra expansion pads for a fifth and sixth worlds down the line. Then comes the hotels and a city walk I guess that will be close by. Then comes the parking lots we don’t know how big they will be. Whatever space they have left we don’t know if that phase 2 of the property maybe that would be in gray if that is enough to house a fifth dry park and a second water park. Maybe the only new park we will have is Fantastic Worlds out of all this speculation. It’s a fact that park is coming but is it the only park? Time will tell.

Last edited:
So your saying for sure Universal Orlando will have 3 dry parks and one water park? The rest will be just lots of hotels and a citywalk? That’s it? If we look at the universal Orlando expansion property what we see in red is where the new park should go their are extra expansion pads for a fifth and sixth worlds down the line. Then comes the hotels and a city walk I guess that will be close by. Then comes the parking lots we don’t know how big they will be. Whatever space they have left we don’t know if that phase 2 of the property maybe that would be in gray if that is enough to house a fifth dry park and a second water park. Maybe the only new park we will have is Fantastic Worlds out of all this speculation. It’s a fact that park is coming but is it the only park? Time will tell.

You do know that he's talking about the Kirkman extension mentioned directly above his post right?

Yes what about the kirkman extension it’s just extra expansion for transportation only? I wanted to also add that Universal Studios Beijing has 300 acres of property. And they are already planning a second park to the first park they are already building. I’m not sure how much bigger the universal Orlando expansion property is in size to Beijing unless they have more than 300 acres. Just a guess what are the odds of another dry theme park and second water park at the new property 0 to 100. 3 dry parks are find adding VB make it 4. So maybe their isn’t a need. If they make all the rest of that space parking lots of it would you be surprised?

Permit update:

- Today Universal applied for and received electrical permits for 4 construction trailers for the south resort: 1 six wide, 2 five wide, and 1 double wide.

- Version 3 of the utilities development plan has been officially rejected. We must now wait for Universal to revise and resubmit a version 4.

Permit update:

- Today Universal applied for and received electrical permits for 4 construction trailers for the south resort: 1 six wide, 2 five wide, and 1 double wide.

- Version 3 of the utilities development plan has been officially rejected. We must now wait for Universal to revise and resubmit a version 4.

Why would the utilities plan be rejected?

I was actually trying to compare universal studios Beijing property with the new Universal Orlando expansion property in terms of size comparison. How is universal Beijing able to fit a second park in according to their Wikipedia page and universal Orlando expansion will only have 1 theme park fantastic worlds since that is the official plan with hotels, big parking lot and citywalk nothing else?

I was actually trying to compare universal studios Beijing property with the new Universal Orlando expansion property in terms of size comparison. How is universal Beijing able to fit a second park in according to their Wikipedia page and universal Orlando expansion will only have 1 theme park fantastic worlds since that is the official plan with hotels, big parking lot and citywalk nothing else?

Beijing is a huge solid block of land whereas the acreage for the new campus in broken by busy roads and other properties. The land is not consolidated into one parcel.

Status
Not open for further replies.