Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

I don't think it'd be terribly farfetched.

Same person also claimed in that same post that Hide N Seek could go away if a "BIG IP" ended up happening.

If it’s THAT “BIG IP” I wonder how hard Universal is working to get it. It would be a great addition and it would bring a lot of crowds, but it’s rights are bound to expensive. Hopefully they get it

I don't think it'd be terribly farfetched.

Same person also claimed in that same post that Hide N Seek could go away if a "BIG IP" ended up happening.
Here’s the dealie. Because I’m kinda in a “burn it down” mentality with regards to spec right now.

I think the “big IP” (house-wise) that keeps getting mentioned is Ghostbusters. When I was told the tentpole IP for the event was “bigger than Stranger Things,” my thoughts went bigger IPs to me. If I think about it from Universal’s perspective, Ghostbusters would be bigger than Stranger Things. Especially from a bunch of haunt designers in their late-thirties/forties.

Because we expect it, because most of us are a bit younger, because most HHN are horror fans, Ghostbusters doesn’t feel big. To us. But it is. It has a history at Universal, and is still widely loved. I can see Universal thinking it’s huge.

The rumor of a “big IP” has persisted. But nothing bigger than Ghostbusters (or arguably Universal Monsters) has been float or hinted at.

Here’s the dealie. Because I’m kinda in a “burn it down” mentality with regards to spec right now.

I think the “big IP” (house-wise) that keeps getting mentioned is Ghostbusters. When I was told the tentpole IP for the event was “bigger than Stranger Things,” my thoughts went bigger IPs to me. If I think about it from Universal’s perspective, Ghostbusters would be bigger than Stranger Things. Especially from a bunch of haunt designers in their late-thirties/forties.

Because we expect it, because most of us are a bit younger, because most HHN are horror fans, Ghostbusters doesn’t feel big. To us. But it is. It has a history at Universal, and is still widely loved. I can see Universal thinking it’s huge.

The rumor of a “big IP” has persisted. But nothing bigger than Ghostbusters (or arguably Universal Monsters) has been float or hinted at.

My counterpoint is that said person also has seen and is supporting the spec map. And if they supposedly “know” stuff, they would know that Ghostbusters is already in.

I don’t know how much this person’s stuff actually is accurate, could very well be none.

What is THAT big ip?
MV5BMjE5MThjMzAtNWVmNC00YThkLTlmNzktMTM3Yzk4YTZhMTgwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

My counterpoint is that said person also has seen and is supporting the spec map. And if they supposedly “know” stuff, they would know that Ghostbusters is already in.

I don’t know how much this person’s stuff actually is accurate, could very well be none.
There were two house rumors that have lingered for months: a big IP and Ghostbusters. Both came out about the same time (before WB announced Horror Comes Home was off this year). Ghostbusters maybe a couple weeks earlier. The "big IP" discussion has always been phrased as a "headliner," and that's pretty much been it. (Well, and that there are legal concerns that may cause them to lose it, in relation to a new movie). Everyone assumes they're mutually exclusive - but no has (or can) confirm they are.

Headliner - Ghostbusters fits.
New movie - Ghostbusters fits.
Legal concerns - Ghostbusters fits. Sony has a history of being hyper protective or the franchise's rights, including legal threats against BILL MURRAY.

What happens sometimes is people hear 2 things about 1 thing, but still think it's 2 things. It's really common in a speculation year with little hard evidence to lean on. I really think this is one of those situations.

So I'm a tad late on this.. but I really like the spec map. House of 1000 Corpses should translate really well to a house.

I saw Ghostbusters for the first time last year and I wasn't particularly smitten with it. I know lots of folks around my age are huge fans, but I think this is the kind of movie you have to experience during the 80s or 90s. Watching now for the first time was a pretty lackluster experience. I still think it would be a fun house... but I could be biased, but I can't fathom this would have half the pull of Stranger Things.

Let's assume the big IP is ghostbusters, this individual mentioned if they got this IP it would replace "Hide & Seek"... so then what would that mean for the 10th house?

I saw Ghostbusters for the first time last year and I wasn't particularly smitten with it. I know lots of folks around my age are huge fans, but I think this is the kind of movie you have to experience during the 80s or 90s. Watching now for the first time was a pretty lackluster experience. I still think it would be a fun house... but I could be biased, but I can't fathom this would have half the pull of Stranger Things.

It’s very much a thing where it needs to be understood what film and comedy was like at that time. Since then many comedies have come out that ape the Ghostbusters genre mashup with better results. It’s also a very 80’s ass film. (Still love it though)

I really think you're an anomaly, being that you're in your mid-thirties and haven't seen Ghostbusters until last year. I'm the same age and grew up watching both the movies and the Saturday morning cartoon. It's a bit of an evergreen franchise. I can see it being a draw.

I really think you're an anomaly, being that you're in your mid-thirties and haven't seen Ghostbusters until last year. I'm the same age and grew up watching both the movies and the Saturday morning cartoon. It's a bit of an evergreen franchise. I can see it being a draw.

I agree my experience is probably not typical! I don't know how I avoided it for so long. I actually thought I had seen it before, but when I watched it last year I realized I never did. I think the movie I saw must have been Ghostbusters II, but I think that was only one time in the early 90s. I do know it was pretty big at the time though I remember the cartoon, the song, and slimer being on my HiC Juice boxes.

The cartoons are an important component. The movie hit squarely in the middle of pretty much all Gen X being able to see it, and was a massive hit--highest grossing movie of the year (and still in the top 40 of all time when adjusted for inflation), with the theme song everywhere that Summer. Back in the days when a hit movie could stay #1 for two months. Then, the goofier sequel and long-running cartoon with its multiple product tie-ins captured older Millennials, basically giving it a second life with younger kids.

This is an IP that used to support a full-time attraction. HHN doesn't get their hands on those very often, if ever. I absolutely think it's bigger than Stranger Things, or even Walking Dead. If they pull this off, the biggest problem is going to be finding a way to top it for the 30th.