Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

But didn’t Disney advertise it as such?
Of course they did. It’s the Millennium Falcon. But Disney marketing’s job is to sell the product... a product they know little about. Even Chapek likely knew little about it when talking.

I’ve never had literally any expectations for this ride that weren’t in the trash since we started to hear about what these rides actually were - which in itself is a damn problem for a Falcon ride. I get Disney advertised it like it was the second coming, and they deserve any criticism that comes their way.

It would have been more “fair and square” if the reservations were tied to a ticket sale versus anyone being able to just grab one regardless of actual intention levels of attending.
Egg zactly! And out of all the ways to get got, this was the silliest! And they're usually good at not getting in these situations?? I dont understand

Jason Cochran at Frommer's posted a slideshow with some really great tips and info for visiting:

Your Visit to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Will Be Much Better if You Know These Things First

Interesting that you have to pay up front for the lightsaber experience and you can't just be a viewer like Olivander's.
Once everyone who wants one has one (like with the Pandora Banshees), I think there will be fewer and fewer people willing to dole out the $200 for a Lightsaber. I expect changes to this experience within a year or so.

What are you going to view. People putting a lightsaber together? That’s not a show.
Yoda speaks to you from beyond. Special ominous lighting cues and music. A spieler describes the lore of the lightsaber. It is very much a show, in exactly the same way Ollivander's is... (But there's 10 minutes in the middle where it's just people Build-A-Bear-ing their sabers, yes.)

Once everyone who wants one has one (like with the Pandora Banshees), I think there will be fewer and fewer people willing to dole out the $200 for a Lightsaber. I expect changes to this experience within a year or so.
And you're right to think it, the hype is going to die down so quick on these things it's wont even be funny, they really don't have a return on them like the wands, they literally are to take home and never bring back for a purpose.

Yoda speaks to you from beyond. Special ominous lighting cues and music. A spieler describes the lore of the lightsaber. It is very much a show, in exactly the same way Ollivander's is... (But there's 10 minutes in the middle where it's just people Build-A-Bear-ing their sabers, yes.)

I mean, the thing I like about the Saber show is the fact everyone is involved... Olivander's is cool, but only few get to actually participate.

During my visit it looked like people were having a blast carrying those super long lightsaber boxes/cases around with them all day haha. I don't think they fit it in lockers either so your kind of stuck with them unless you make the long hike to the parking lot.

During my visit it looked like people were having a blast carrying those super long boxes/cases around with them all day haha. I don't think they fit it in lockers either so your kind of stuck with them unless you make the long hike to the parking lot.
Or send them to the front for package pick up at end of the day.

Are they doing that for the lightsabers? Because I saw many people walking around with those boxes. Or maybe they don't know that service is available.

You could literally have a pack of gum delivered to your hotel room at Disney world. Not sure how it works in Disney land.

It will be interesting to see what’s still popular after the hype wears down. I can’t see $200 lightsabers lasting that long..but then again look how well that Princess/Pirate Salon does....

The crazy thing is it truly wasn’t ever going to be E-ticket caliber beyond the queue. This was always a D-ticket at best.

Sorry.,,this is crazy talk ...Smugglers Run is definitely
An “E-Ticket” ride. I can’t believe anyone would argue otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recorded a podcast with David Daut on his SWGE impressions. Very good show, some things I wanted to highlight.
  • There are actors who participate in the land with the interactive elements, more so than the wand assistants in Diagon.
  • Second instance where a video of Hondo before boarding recognizes you if you've done a successful mission before. So it sounds like there is some elements that remember you.
  • Your haul on Smuggler's Run is synced to the Play Disney App
  • Blue and Green Milk is offered in both frozen and chilled forms, but the outside stand only offers frozen and another location only offers chilled. Frozen gets better reviews than the chilled, which is almost universally reviled.
Episode will be up later, but read his impressions now.

Incompletely Incredible – First Impressions of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge – David Daut

I've noticed people who haven't been to Galaxy's Edge or folks who weren't able to get reservations will not hesitate to crap all over SWGE any chance they get. It's funny.

I'm pretty sure most, if not all discussing will still go gladly see the land.

But, I mean... You can glean a critique based off the reactions and the cold hard truths to the experience.

I think people were expecting Disney to treat the Star Wars like Universal treated Potter, if not better.

I think it's perfectly normal to have initial impressions/reactions prior to experiencing rides/attractions for yourself. I doubt these people have completely made up their mind and won't allow it to change after experiencing it themselves. You're allowed to form an opinion based on someone else's comments/articles/video of their experience. Just like you'll watch a POV video and say to yourself, "Wow. That looks amazing!" Yet, you almost never hear people say, "I can't believe people are praising that ride without having been on it."

EDIT: To add, have none of you ever formed an opinion about a movie after watching its trailer without watching the entire film?

Last edited:
I rode Smugglers Run twice. I thought the ride was really fun, but both times I was a Pilot. I am afraid that if in the future I'm not a pilot, it will sour my view of the ride. It felt like me and the co pilot were running the show and everyone else was not that important. It seems that the ride was designed around being a pilot and the other positions are an afterthought.