Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

Well, on Rotten Tomatoes, while it holds a massive 94% critic score, it only holds a 62% audience score. Again, opinions are opinions. But I really think you're overestimating what the GP thought of the film. There are plenty of people who love it. But there are plenty of people who did not. I personally don't think the house will be as successful as some think. But I guess we'll see in a couple of months.

View attachment 10179
Well, on Rotten Tomatoes, while it holds a massive 94% critic score, it only holds a 62% audience score. Again, opinions are opinions. But I really think you're overestimating what the GP thought of the film. There are plenty of people who love it. But there are plenty of people who did not. I personally don't think the house will be as successful as some think. But I guess we'll see in a couple of months.

View attachment 10179
Hereditary is a modern classic, and is only at 65 percent. I'm not too bothered by that score, especially for a "thinky" horror movie.

This is why I harp on opinions being what they are...opinions. He thought Us was terrible and dumb, I thought it was smart and fantastically directed. He thought Annabelle was a solid film, I thought it was a stupid film that thought jumpscaring me constantly would be scary...it wasn't...it was just annoying and caused me to chuckle a lot toward the end.
Yep. Everyone's got their own taste. Everyone looks for and sees different things in film. Everyone has some things that matter and some things that don't when evaluating film. There are people out there who think Transformers: Age of Extinction is a good film. So there ya go.

Hereditary is a modern classic, and is only at 65 percent. I'm not too bothered by that score, especially for a "thinky" horror movie.

Hereditary is my favorite horror movie since Silence of the Lambs. That being said, my brother who actually works on the fringes of the movie industry absolutely hated it. And he likes "thinker" films. Opinions man. Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee whiz, how shocking that people want IT more than Us? IT, like the best horror movie opening weekend and one of the highest grossing horror films of all time.

It shouldn’t be on the poll because it has no chance of happening. It’s an unfair poll because IT will beat literally anything in terms of what people want at HHN.
It also shows people want Gremlins more

I love Gremlins, but I was pretty iffy on the idea it would work as a house but the more I think about...it absolutely would. Lots of awesome puppet scares and excellent sets. I would just die being able to see the fountain finale at the end...that was it right? I haven't watchee it in like 10 years.

I loved Hereditary as well. Still need to Midsommar.

I really liked Midsommar. To me, Ari Aster is BY FAR the best horror director out there right now. That being said, I think Hereditary was better. The last 20 minutes of Midsommar was a slight letdown compared to the amazing set-up, whereas Hereditary absolutely nailed the finale for me. Be aware, they are very different movies. Hereditary is much more intense and keeps you guessing. Midsommar is predictable as it lays out everything that's going to happen and isn't trying to confuse you if you pay attention. It's more of a character/cult study that is done magnificently.

I really liked Midsommar. To me, Ari Aster is BY FAR the best horror director out there right now. That being said, I think Hereditary was better. The last 20 minutes of Midsommar was a slight letdown compared to the amazing set-up, whereas Hereditary absolutely nailed the finale for me. Be aware, they are very different movies. Hereditary is much more intense and keeps you guessing. Midsommar is predictable as it lays out everything that's going to happen and isn't trying to confuse you if you pay attention. It's more of a character/cult study that is done magnificently.
Ah, I see. I like that he decided to not do Hereditary 2.0 then. I always love a good character study piece.

There were some major second act issues with Midsommar. Ari used too many of his trick up front, that the middle just seemed to drag on. Don't get me wrong. Still an amazing movie, but it could have used with some script doctoring and/or editing.

Ah, I see. I like that he decided to not do Hereditary 2.0 then. I always love a good character study piece.

Yeah, the movies are so different. Really the only thing similar is that some of the score sounds kind of similar at times, but only in certain parts. I recommend it - especially if you've ever taken acid or mushrooms because his camerawork and editing to capture/replicate that experience is bar none the best I've ever seen.

I loved, loved, LOVED Hereditary. One of my favourite movies, horror or otherwise, of the past decade. Only The VVitch comes close in terms of recent horror.

I thought Midsommar was hot garbage.

Opinions.

See? Exactly. Opinions. I was very lukewarm on the VVitch. Some of those same friends I mentioned earlier swear by that movie and have the same opinion as you (that it rivals Hereditary). It just didn't hit the mark for me whereas I thought Midsommar was pretty amazing.

Did you ever see Triangle (2009)? That's probably my 2nd favorite horror film of the last 30 years or so (just behind Hereditary). Now THAT movie is a real thinker.

See? Exactly. Opinions. I was very lukewarm on the VVitch. Some of those same friends I mentioned earlier swear by that movie and have the same opinion as you (that it rivals Hereditary). It just didn't hit the mark for me whereas I thought Midsommar was pretty amazing.

Did you ever see Triangle (2009)? That's probably my 2nd favorite horror film of the last 30 years or so (just behind Hereditary). Now THAT movie is a real thinker.

Loved Triangle. Might sound odd, but it gave me (faint) Silent Hill vibes. A series which I really love too.

It also shows people want Gremlins more

Not really, it's a single-vote poll. It shows that of the 3 choices, most people wanted IT over anything else. There's really not a lot you can conclude other than that. If you remove IT the vote could go any direction because people's second choices aren't accounted for in this poll format.

Last edited: