Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

Not super familiar with what to look for in permits, how detailed should we expect them to be in regards to coming attractions? Like, should we easily be able to see a Mario kart ride filed?

Not super familiar with what to look for in permits, how detailed should we expect them to be in regards to coming attractions? Like, should we easily be able to see a Mario kart ride filed?
Once someone figures out the project number, yes. Until then, start looking for projects in the 900 range (or maybe the 700 range, I can't remember for sure but @Alicia probably knows better). Basically there's a project number for the whole park that's used for the mass grading/park-wide permits. Then each land/attraction will have it's own 'sub' project number all starting with the same number, I think we already know what it is based on the back of house offices.

Once someone figures out the project number, yes. Until then, start looking for projects in the 900 range (or maybe the 700 range, I can't remember for sure but @Alicia probably knows better). Basically there's a project number for the whole park that's used for the mass grading/park-wide permits. Then each land/attraction will have it's own 'sub' project number all starting with the same number, I think we already know what it is based on the back of house offices.
They appear to be filing permits land by land. That way they can submit them as they're ready, and not have to wait until they whole park plans are ready all at once.

I heard this idea elsewhere, but from the sounds of it, they were planning IPs for IOA from 93 to 95, but I'm guessing they had it locked down after that (95 to 99 for finalizing plans and construction).

I know that the majority of the IOA IPs we’re locked around mid 94. And while Park 2 was announced in 93 there was no public mention of a name... just a “second gate”. In mid-94 the park name was being floated internally as “Islands of Adventure” or “Adventure Islands”. Guessing the similarity to the Busch Tampa water park killed the alternative name.

I hope the rumored lands/attractions are true!

Wizarding World - I do think that Paris is the best option for the Wizarding World land. Whether it ties in directly to either Potter/FB, or both, the public would love to explore a Paris theme with associated restaurants anyways. It would be unique for Universal, and could be more impressive than the Paris section of Epcot. And the magical wizarding component of it would appeal to anyone who is a Potter fan. The idea of a large mostly indoor "land" to explore would be very unique and a great way to get out of the weather. As of now they could do one ride focusing on Dumbledore with multiple locations including the London ministry or even the USA. And a second attraction focused on the animals such as a magical zoo? There are a lot of unknowns but perhaps they are working them into the third movie and the land will have a lot to do with that. They can also bring in some popular French businesses such as Laduree macarons. Also in the future, perhaps they could add a Wizarding World hotel that directly connects to the land due to its placement.

Monster World - Obviously the rumored dark ride would be one of the most desired attractions in the entire Epic Universe. For me the surrounding village is also very appealing, it would be like the real life "Dracula's castle" and town which has now become a tourist attraction. A spooky european town, with an atmosphere most Americans would equate to Halloween, but with European food and themed shops. Here's a short 7 minute news segment on the Bran Castle which most agree is the inspiration for Dracula's castle in classic literature.
(The point of the video is that Dracula's castle is still a popular draw for tourism, however Universal should make their land look more like what we have seen in the movies.) Americans love Halloween, and having an entire land themed to Monsters year-round would be a huge hit.

Nintendo--Everything we've heard about rumor-wise has been amazing. I'm most excited about Mario Kart. I hope they don't change anything from what we've heard about Yoshi and DK too. I do wonder what the food/drinks would be like. Maybe they could do a Peach Castle restaurant?

How to Train your Dragon - TBH I have not seen any of the movies, but dragons themselves are consistently popular even without being associated with a movie so this is a safe bet. Although each land would be great for families, having one land that seems focused towards young children is a good idea. Universal should go all out here and make it a parent's dream---good location near the front of the park, with all the conveniences and services needed to enjoy themselves with their kids. Make this area their home base and a must-do for young kids.

It appears that the changes to Orange County's permitting process mentioned at the August 1st press conference were approved by the Board of County Commissioners last week.

They created a new streamlined management process for what they are calling "Major Economic Development Projects" (MEDP). The requirements for a project to qualify as a MEDP are:
  • 500+ acres of buildable land in unincorporated Orange County
  • Anticipated $1 billion increase in real property value over 10 years
  • Applicant ability to invest $1 billion cash equity in the project
  • Expected creation of 2,500+ jobs
  • Commitment to own and operate the project for 10 years after completion
Once a project is accepted as an MEDP, the mayor will appoint a County Project Manager who will work as the single contact point between the county and the applicant, with the authority to expedite permit applications and make certain approval decisions not required to be made by other public offices or boards.

The actual requirements for getting permits approved are staying the same, but the organizational process will change to allow for more prioritization and quicker permit approvals.

Orange County File# 19-1150

It appears that the changes to Orange County's permitting process mentioned at the August 1st press conference were approved by the Board of County Commissioners last week.

They created a new streamlined management process for what they are calling "Major Economic Development Projects" (MEDP). The requirements for a project to qualify as a MEDP are:
  • 500+ acres of buildable land in unincorporated Orange County
  • Anticipated $1 billion increase in real property value over 10 years
  • Applicant ability to invest $1 billion cash equity in the project
  • Expected creation of 2,500+ jobs
  • Commitment to own and operate the project for 10 years after completion
Once a project is accepted as an MEDP, the mayor will appoint a County Project Manager who will work as the single contact point between the county and the applicant, with the authority to expedite permit applications and make certain approval decisions not required to be made by other public offices or boards.

The actual requirements for getting permits approved are staying the same, but the organizational process will change to allow for more prioritization and quicker permit approvals.

Orange County File# 19-1150
Quicker permitting and approvals means quicker development.

You'd think with WDW having something like this already with their own district, they would build things faster lol.

Thanks for the info!

Hot damn now you’re talking my language! Pull! Kanbans! Kaizen! Production Leveling!

To think I was worried about being too jargony!
As much as we love to speculate about this stuff, it's easy to forget that it's still just a widget to somebody.
Wanna know if they're doing a ticket-less hub? Just guess how many times in got complained about in a scrum...