Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

It's unfortunate, as when thinking of the concept and core synopsis, it sounds like something that makes not only a lot of sense; but with something that you can easily pull for (especially in looking at some of the more iconic spirits in JP and Mandarin fiction). I hope this means they'll be improving the scarezone over the course of the event, but doing things like the Fu Manchu is idiotic.

So this is what was meant by something sacred. Wow... no opening scaramony. I mean, I haven't watched it since maybe 2011 or 2012, but that's insane. Just change the dang scarezone, it's still pretty early in the run. Then they can even promote, "come back to HHN this season for an ALL-NEW SCAREZONE." I mean, that's a way to put a positive spin on it haha.

As for the early entry schedule, honestly I think they just change it every day. Nothing about it makes any sense. I don't even know if there is a plan with it or if they're just arbitrarily putting it together each morning. First day it was just ST, then it was just the Metro Sets + ST with GB opening at 6:30 while Creep was opened first, then it became literally almost everything. Now the times vary too. IMO, anything on the upper lot or tram garage should definitely not be open for Early Entry. If those are open, JUST OPEN THE PARK EARLIER. And the times should coincide for each maze in an area. So if GB is open, Creep and FMTW should open with it. Same for Klowns and ST. Just for some dang EQUILIBRIUM TO BALANCE OUT THIS MADNESSSSSS. Operations are such a mess this year, it's ridiculous.
The removal of scaremony wasn't related to the spirits and demons drama.

I know I’m an outsider to this forum since I’m an Orlando gal, but I have been absolutely fascinated by the Spirits and Demons drama. I’m half Filipino, so obviously we have tons of history with horrific folklore. Every Asian culture is steeped with tons of inspiration for houses and zones, but seeing Spirits and Demons do everything wrong is just hilarious to me. Don’t get me wrong, some of the stuff in the zone that got taken away was a bit overkill, but the fact that they thought stuff like Fu Man Chu was a good idea blows my mind.
The Spirits and Demons zone feels like a pretty americanized version of Asian folklore, as soon I saw those Buddhas I was like "yhea, it's definitely going to get flak"
Also about the Fu Manchu character: *Laughs in Foul Fists*

Yeah, I think all these mixed early entry times (6, 6:15, 6:30, and 6:45) that keep changing every day is a nightmare. Just today, the app said that Pandora's Box wasn't going to open early at all (see post #4234). Then the sign updated to a 6:45 opening after all. Which is really irritating, because Us, right next to it, opens at 6. IMO, they need to open both of those mazes either at the same time, or 15 min apart. Because it's really inconvenient if you get to knock out Us at 6, but would either have to wait another 45 minutes for Pandora's to open, or go to another maze elsewhere in the park and be forced to return (which is really the only practical option if you want any hope of being able to do all the mazes).

As for Pandora, I see fairly equal amounts of love and hate for it, with love winning out by a smidge. I'm actually in the love category. It's not because of the neon, that actually detracts from me a bit. But I find the sound design compelling, and I simply love that section where the lights go completely out for a few seconds...it's incredibly unnerving. And the placement of some of those scares, especially in the spider section, get me everytime, even after repeat visits. That said, I freely admit it's mostly a one-trick pony, and if it's a trick you don't like, then them maze would place very low for you.

I do have a love/hate relationship with the Scaremony. I love the idea of it, but since I value the mazes more, I never get to see it, and it's often gotten in my way when I was trying to get to a maze and was being held in place because we had to wait for it. I never complained about it, but I can how others would possibly could... especially with now, when basically all but 2 of the new mazes are open much earlier... seems a bit like an afterthought anymore.

Hearing about that is what makes me genuinely concerned about the future of original-concept material (mazes and scare zones) in the future of HHN. Obviously there are areas, especially when regarding to foreign cultures, where the creative team has to be careful how characters are executed, but at the same time, the big risk with original materials is if something is deemed controversial, people will trace the line directly to Universal's team. At least with IP mazes and zones, if someone gets offended by a certain element, the blame gets directed towards the copyright owner/original director/writer of whatever movie or TV show it's from. I'm not saying I don't want to see any more original mazes at HHN, but I'm genuinely concerned that this may impact how the creative team may try to execute future HHN attractions, as well as attempt to create more original mazes, and try playing it safe by relying on reusing tired-out IP's (e.g. The Purge, Titans of Terror, etc...).
*looks at Orlando*

Nope... It's not the original content being original that causes the issues. It's the poorly-researched use of stereotypical imagery that causes the issues.

*looks at Orlando*

Nope... It's not the original content being original that causes the issues. It's the poorly-researched use of stereotypical imagery that causes the issues.

I wasn't insinuating original content is intrinsically controversial. And I'm fully aware poor-research with foreign cultures and translating them into haunted attractions can result in negative consequences. The point I was bringing is that one of the risks with original content mazes is how the team will be the target of any backlash of something, regardless of what it is. Just like how people complained about the Tooth Fairy maze being barbaric at Knotts Scary Farm for its depiction of kids getting their mouths mutilated, the way that more people today feel the old Asylum maze they did prior to 2009 is considered problematic for its subject-matter (or the VR experience that got shut down because of it's name), or even during it's early years, Shadowlands being criticized for its depiction of Japanese folklore, my concern was that the creative team, in future years, may try to avoid original content mazes and just rely on already used IPs.

Dumb Question....would it really cost that much to have themed the Black Walls right before you get into Stranger Things? Like Maybe the woods....the outside of the kids houses....buildings in the town...etc?

It just feels weird such a popular maze can't have a themed Q even if its just wood with logo's printed on them

Finally went tonight. Us was my easy #1, scariest maze I’ve ever been through. It’s all face characters now and the cast absolutely killed it both times I went through. Human Turkey in Holidayz is now just a plate of guts. Stranger Things cast seems to have gotten better since I actually got some good scares

As far as reviews for Pandora's Box go, I'm getting the general consensus that the hardcore fans are more likely to dislike it because of so many recycled props and effects and the more casual fans are more likely to love it because, for them, it's not necessarily like something they're familiar with.

Objectively, I would say it's okay. By no means great, but also not terrible. Personally, I'd say that the good outweighs the bad. Sure, it might look a little cheap and rely on reused props, but the lighting is used effectively for scares, the cast (at least every cast I've seen) is really intense, and the preshow is one of the cooler things I've seen during my time at HHN.

Pandora's Box was the only maze I disliked this year other than Stranger Things since I didn't care for the neon design. Also, the wait was painfully slow even though it said it was only 20 minutes. I actually stood in one place for maybe that long, and I really hate lines where you have to stay in one place a long time since it makes my feet sore. It is a major reason why I don't ride the Simpsons Ride much since that line moves so slow. I wanted a lot more from Pandora's Box than I got from the painful wait.

However, if I can do it with a wait that is actually 20 minutes or less, I might give it another try. I'm sure that I will still rank it 8th place since I like most of the other mazes so much, but it would be nice to have a more positive opinion of it.

I wasn't insinuating original content is intrinsically controversial. And I'm fully aware poor-research with foreign cultures and translating them into haunted attractions can result in negative consequences. The point I was bringing is that one of the risks with original content mazes is how the team will be the target of any backlash of something, regardless of what it is. Just like how people complained about the Tooth Fairy maze being barbaric at Knotts Scary Farm for its depiction of kids getting their mouths mutilated, the way that more people today feel the old Asylum maze they did prior to 2009 is considered problematic for its subject-matter (or the VR experience that got shut down because of it's name), or even during it's early years, Shadowlands being criticized for its depiction of Japanese folklore, my concern was that the creative team, in future years, may try to avoid original content mazes and just rely on already used IPs.
The Tooth Fairy maze complaint is a little out there, but can you blame them? We've got innocent children dying on the daily because of faulty policies. As for the other complaints you mentioned, those were all fairly reasonable. If you can't make a haunt that isn't racist or ableist, you're just lazy. It's not that hard for any creative team, let alone one funded by one of the biggest studios in Hollywood, to create original concepts that don't rely on horribly outdated troupes.

The Tooth Fairy maze complaint is a little out there, but can you blame them? We've got innocent children dying on the daily because of faulty policies. As for the other complaints you mentioned, those were all fairly reasonable. If you can't make a haunt that isn't racist or ableist, you're just lazy. It's not that hard for any creative team, let alone one funded by one of the biggest studios in Hollywood, to create original concepts that don't rely on horribly outdated troupes.

When you have to create four-five different original concept houses a year, ever year, then yes it absolutely can be difficult--at least, without getting stale. One of the many, MANY reasons I hate the idea of increasing the house count. If it's true that the crowds (at least in Orlando) haven't been as bad this year, then they may not need to. :pray:

So I'm going tonight and was wondering, with this new Early Entry schedule, what would be the ideal maze to hit first?
If you intend to do stranger things it's a good idea to do it first thing, but if you aren't interested in that Ghostbusters or Us should probably be first priority since they all open around the same time and tend to demand pretty long waits. I would also advise getting to Klowns pretty quickly after it opens at 7 since it tends to demand long lines even on slow days.

If you intend to do stranger things it's a good idea to do it first thing, but if you aren't interested in that Ghostbusters or Us should probably be first priority since they all open around the same time and tend to demand pretty long waits. I would also advise getting to Klowns pretty quickly after it opens at 7 since it tends to demand long lines even on slow days.

Klowns having Shining waits was an unexpected but very pleasant surprise. Not for me, necessarily, but I'm glad it's a hit!

*looks at Orlando*

*Looks at Knotts*

They were able to do a beautifully themed seemingly authentic (as authentic as a haunt maze can be) experience based on Japanese folklore and have been able to pull it off for 4 years without any controversy. It's about taking the time and care to research what it is you're doing and understanding what some may find offensive vs what some may consider authentic.

*Looks at Knotts*

They were able to do a beautifully themed seemingly authentic (as authentic as a haunt maze can be) experience based on Japanese folklore and have been able to pull it off for 4 years without any controversy. It's about taking the time and care to research what it is you're doing and understanding what some may find offensive vs what some may consider authentic.
The sad thing is for the specific character that was removed, all it really would have taken is a few design and acting modifications, like removing the 'stache and altering the colors of the costume and convincing the actor to move more stiffly, and you've got a decent representation of the Jiangshi.