Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

One of my favorite scares, that can sort of count as a "top scare", was in 2007 and 2008, with TCM. At the end of the maze (the Slaughterhouse scene), you walked through this cage where 3 Leatherface actors, one on each side and the other on a pedestal that allowed the actor to have access to the top part of the cage, dragged their chainsaws against the fence, and the top actor freaked guests below with the sparks.

Last edited:
Could bungee scares even happen in most Hollywood mazes? I'd imagine you need a sturdy roof structure to attach bungee cords to and that's kinda impossible with a tent..

Again - it's a non-starter, even if they contemplated putting one in a soundstage where that sort of rigging is easier. It would be classified as a stunt by Universal's standards and would require an Action Horizons performer, not a traditional scare actor. They're expensive. It's not going to happen.

Ummm... do you not know that for at least the last 5 or more years, many mazes have been open as early as 5pm? When they say it opens at 7pm, that's when all mazes are open. This year, 8 mazes out of 10 are open before 7pm. Early Entry. They let haunt guests in as early as 5:30 so they can be in line for the early entry mazes as 6.

So no, you don't have to wait until 7. In fact, as I stated above, because I was taking advantage of Early Entry, I haven't seen the Scaremony in years, and on occasion it has, in fact, blocked me from getting to other mazes. I wasn't as upset about that as others, but I can see how others would be.
Well certainly I know THAT, as have I, but I'm talking about the regular guests who are complaining about a scaramony that starts at 6:58 when the event "starts" at 7 for them anyway.

Murdy hating bungee scares worries me. The “new” scares incorporated each year (2017 screen tears, 2018 water effects) have been less than stellar and don’t scare general audiences like stunts do. How come DH outdoor maze could have bungees, but we settle for “boo scare but projector”

Well certainly I know THAT, as have I, but I'm talking about the regular guests who are complaining about a scaramony that starts at 6:58 when the event "starts" at 7 for them anyway.

Your original post didn't ready that way, but fair enough. Even so, I think the issue for regular guests is they arrive at 6:45, are told, "hey, there's already mazes open", but they can't get to them because they're stopped for 10-15 minutes to wait for the Scaremony (and the area is closed for more than 2 minutes. I've been stuck in it myself). I can totally see how a regular guest would complain about that.

Gonna write a review when I get back, but man. While this year was good, Orlando blew our event out of the water. Don’t get me started on their GB or ST. I’m sad our event can never have that level of detail.
That what it seems like this year. Can’t wait to go to Knotts for Origins. Heard it was on par with Orlando this year

It's inevitable that Orlando will always have the better set pieces and environments. They have a bigger budget and more access to sound stages, which as we all know has a lot of advantages in terms of recreating scenes. Every year, when videos from both coasts start uploading to YouTube, and even when I go to Hollywood's event, I know not to try and compare the two, since it'll only make the experience less enjoyable in a sense. But I honestly prefer our make-up, masks, puppets, costumes, and animatronic monsters and creatures more.

My take is that our Us and Killer Klowns are significantly better than our Orlando counterparts. Their Ghostbusters and Stranger Things are miles ahead of ours (there's a longer post to be made about Hollywood cannot and should not pull off these types of properties - it isn't in our wheelhouse or within the realm of resources). Their House of 1000 Corpses has better scenic, but no Murder Ride, and arguably less scary. Ours has Murder Ride and is scarier, but a few too many black walls. Their Monsters, if I'm being honest, isn't as compelling as Hollywood's this year or arguably last year. It's every Monsters maze they've ever done, or House of Horrors 2.0. That's fine, but it isn't particularly exciting.

Their originals pretty handily beat ours, though, even though I think Holidayz holds its own.

Our Ghostbusters is better scenic-wise, but Hollywood does a slightly better job with creative scares.
I prefer Hollywood's Killer Klowns, but the end falls off very hard whereas Orlando's is more consistent.
Us - I can't put a finger on why it's better in Hollywood, but it is.
Stranger Things - LOL.... C'mon.
House of 1000 Corpses - I prefer Orlando's a lot more but like that Hollywood incorporated Spaulding and the dark ride scenes a lot more.

So I am going to HHN on October 4, which is a Friday. Which mazes are the scariest and the best scenically? Which ones should I prioritize in going through?

Oh... bad news on the human turkey in Holidayz. I guess complaints on intensity/sensitivity *are* on the rise... and are making an impact. This wasn't the only element affected.

I would register your own counter complaints arguing the event needs to remain scary/become scarier. That isn't a joke - you should do this.

Wow that sucks. People are way more sensitive about violence and gore nowadays. Look at how much more violent mainstream R rated horror and action movies were in the mid to late 2000s compared to now. I mean people are complaining that the new Rambo is too violent when it isn't even as violent as the 2008 Rambo movie. Also, look at how people are complaining so much about Joker. People are going back to the stupid mindset of being offended by violent movies. Mainstream Horror movies that are rated R nowadays are also extremely gentle compared to the stuff we got 10 years ago.

Any idea what else got removed from Holidayz? I hope they don't mess with anything in 1000 Corpses.