Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

I’m in my 40s , the prequels are terrible. No comparison.

Few skips to next chapter, removing some Jar Jar crap, and Phantom Menace is pretty good, the last 30 minutes is pure action. All original, and well done, although it is crazy to see how even that CGI has not aged well, like the Gungan battle.

RotS is fantastic. Order 66, seeing the Emperor transform, and turn Anakin. Then of course the lava battle of mythology since I was in 4th grade in the 70s. My son was completely enthralled seeing Vader take his first breath with his helmet.

Everyone bitched TFA was too similar, and then bitched TLJ was too different. Hell, seeing Force Ghost Yoda was enough to make me happy.

As I’ve said before IJA, Test Track, and Tower all had various degrees of issues right to the last minute and into the first few opening years. Universal is the one infamous for rough openings: see USF opening summer and Jaws.
Dont forget the oft-crashing cars at UoE and the opening day almost-killed-a-family snafu at Spaceship Earth :D

If all this is true, then Disney seems to be pulling the same exact mistake Universal just did. Why the theme park world has forgotten the importance of testing and “softs” is unreal to me. Disney would have had a successful holiday with or without this ride. Opening it before it’s ready, seems like begging for bad press.

Especially with the completely botched opening of their Star Wars land, you'd really think they wouldn't have announced an opening on this until it was more ready. We'll have to see next week if this is all true. My source got back to me saying as far as they know its opening in 2 weeks from today. We shall see.

What's going to be interesting is how the ride is received. Disney already can't afford another negative narrative about Galaxy's Edge, and the downtime seems like it can be countered if the ride is received well (a la Hagrid); but if the ride isn't.... heads will, and should, roll.

If all this is true, then Disney seems to be pulling the same exact mistake Universal just did. Why the theme park world has forgotten the importance of testing and “softs” is unreal to me. Disney would have had a successful holiday with or without this ride. Opening it before it’s ready, seems like begging for bad press.

It's really not that black and white. It's because testing that Hagrid's issues came to light before opening. Up until 2-3 weeks out, everything was golden. With Disney, they took a chance and opened their land with a reduced line-up and have taken a hit for it. I don't blame them for thinking this wasn't a solvable issue by the end of the year. It's just not cooperating.

Announcing a date for Rise KNOWING that the system was still having issues was ballsy, but with all the bad press SW: GE was getting, it seems like they panicked.

but if the ride isn't.... heads will, and should, roll.

Unfortunately it probably won't be the right heads.

Just remember:

“If you build in enough capacity, the rides don’t go down and it operates at 99% efficiency, you shouldn’t have 10-hour lines. So, 10-hour lines are not a sign of success. It should be seen as a sign of, frankly, failure.”

—Bob Chapek

Bob is working on the "if the ride isn't open there can't be a 10 hour line" method ;)

I mean I am a super theme park nerd, with a little bit more invested in Universal but I truly have nothing against Disney and never have, then Bob Chapek showed up. For some reason I truly cannot stand the guy. Maybe Disney has always been like this and I haven't been paying attention so correct me if I'm wrong, but between the "15 minute ride", all the budget cuts, the direct shot at Universal for Hagrid's, the botched opening here, something just seriously rubs me the wrong way about the guy. He seems like a typical corporate junkie looking to make any extra buck humanly possible. He doesn't even sound like he's speaking with pride when discussing his projects. I really don't mean to be too harsh, I'm sure in real life he's a fine dude, but his work at Disney is just YIKES imo.

What's going to be interesting is how the ride is received. Disney already can't afford another negative narrative about Galaxy's Edge, and the downtime seems like it can be countered if the ride is received well (a la Hagrid); but if the ride isn't.... heads will, and should, roll.

It's really not that black and white. It's because testing that Hagrid's issues came to light before opening. Up until 2-3 weeks out, everything was golden. With Disney, they took a chance and opened their land with a reduced line-up and have taken a hit for it. I don't blame them for thinking this wasn't a solvable issue by the end of the year. It's just not cooperating.

Announcing a date for Rise KNOWING that the system was still having issues was ballsy, but with all the bad press SW: GE was getting, it seems like they panicked.

Exactly. Every build is unique and different with its own challenges. Opening dates are always best guesses.

I mean I am a super theme park nerd, with a little bit more invested in Universal but I truly have nothing against Disney and never have, then Bob Chapek showed up. For some reason I truly cannot stand the guy. Maybe Disney has always been like this and I haven't been paying attention so correct me if I'm wrong, but between the "15 minute ride", all the budget cuts, the direct shot at Universal for Hagrid's, the botched opening here, something just seriously rubs me the wrong way about the guy. He seems like a typical corporate junkie looking to make any extra buck humanly possible. He doesn't even sound like he's speaking with pride when discussing his projects. I really don't mean to be too harsh, I'm sure in real life he's a fine dude, but his work at Disney is just YIKES imo.

Disney's always had a “our poop smells the best” attitude.

Just remember:

“If you build in enough capacity, the rides don’t go down and it operates at 99% efficiency, you shouldn’t have 10-hour lines. So, 10-hour lines are not a sign of success. It should be seen as a sign of, frankly, failure.”

—Bob Chapek
Boy I tell ya, he better have a cap on the queue because if they reach 10hrs he will eat those words hard:lol:

I hope this is going to deliver the greatest ride experience and everything will go to plan but there’s a tiny part of me that hopes nothing works, the ride is terrible and the queue is out the park entrance just to see what would happen as an alternative reality.

Even if it goes tits up at the start, after a few months or years, it will all be forgotten like Hagrid’s and we’ll be left with a great ride.

Just remember:

—Bob Chapek
I don't disagree with him.

Failure isn't the word I would use though.

I think there's a little bit of premature schadenfreude sneaking into this discussion.
I don’t want to see it fail. I want to ride it ASAP. But if there’s no AP previews, CM previews, or soft opens, and it opens to trouble, of course people will comment—and comparisons to Hagrid are inevitable.