1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

Discussion in 'Disney's Hollywood Studios' started by Joe, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Fallow

Fallow Veteran Member

It's a lot easier to stomach a single instance of drone activity over guest (with the intrinsic fall liabilities) versus regular, consistent operation.

Joe likes this.
  2. Cup_Of_Coffee

Cup_Of_Coffee Veteran Member

My source mentioned to me (and paraphrasing a little, was a phone call) that any ride like this without running for a full year is bound to find some issues, so they do expect some. They said that unprompted, nor have we ever gotten into anything relating to operations or anything. Typically all I hear from them is rides before they're announced, some construction tours when I'm in Orlando, sometimes concept art before released to the public, but never anything regarding "Hey hows this ride working up to opening?" always is more detail oriented discussions, I try not to push too much since I generally know Disney is strict and I don't want to get them in trouble, as well as just wanting to keep this contact.

So, idk. My source has never been inaccurate and its not something new to any of us who've been following but my guess is a tough time this Winter. I hope a lot of kinks get worked out by April when I arrive!

3. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

With the drones not being full size, I wonder how forced perspective will play into all this. It obviously works well for buildings but I don't know how it will work without having anything for scale.

4. alias8703

alias8703 Rookie

Was at Disneylands GE the other day and experienced for the first time the simulated tie fighter fly over done with LOUD speakers. It was F*^%!#KING awesome!

therock and Alicia like this.
  5. Alicia

Alicia Premium Member

I like the sound design in the Docking Bay zones and in the Marketplace area. Great soundscapes...

I just wish there was music in the Resistance base and near the First Order post. Everything in the middle can stay.

But that’s a topic for another thread.

alias8703 and Joe like this.
  6. Disneyhead

Disneyhead Legendary Member

The with or without music is all about what they are trying to immerse you in. At Hogsmeade, they are not trying to place you in "Hogsmeade". They are immersing you into a scene in a Harry Potter movie where you explore Hogsmeade. Thus the nebulous soundtrack.

At Galaxy's Edge, they are trying to immerse you in being on another planet, not stepping into a Star Wars movie.

alias8703, Blaw923, Bort and 8 others like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

This is probably the best post I’ve seen explaining the reason for music in hogsmeade and why there’s no music in Batuu.

Both lands achieved what they set out to by making their choices. Now people may not like decisions that were made, but that’s a different discussion.

alias8703, Condog, Blaw923 and 5 others like this.
  8. MartyMcFly

MartyMcFly Rookie

A soundtrack in galaxy’s edge would make it 100x better

9. bob albert

bob albert Veteran Member

I am going to be here for opening weekend but from the sound of things are increasingly likely to drive to Tampa or the Kennedy space center instead of going disney on a short trip. I have stated before that on site guests alone that are sold out for opening week given the number of on site hotels would eclipse the daily capacity of this ride. We will easily see all day lines if capacity is limited on top of that.

10. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Veteran Member

I’ve read the music is really apparent in ROtR. Maybe they are saving the music specifically for that attraction

Cup_Of_Coffee likes this.
  11. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

I think Disney is taking the "we want you to be in the place rather than the films" approach, where Universal is more concerned with immersing you in scenes from the films. I get it...I just think the land is already so unique from the movies that some music would enhance it.

But I feel like we've beat this horse to death haha

Disneyhead likes this.
  12. Cup_Of_Coffee

From what I’ve heard, this is essentially it. All the nostalgia minus the falcon should take place in this ride.

13. Andysol

Andysol Veteran Member

Take anything Joe says about Disney with the biggest grain of salt you can muster.

As Brian said, above, Hagrids 2-3 weeks out had issues. In fact, two weeks out, they had to shut down and stop running the tracks completely for two days.

And yet Joe says:

As I said, massive grain of salt. I appreciate Joe, but anyone who spends time here knows it’s more than apparent that he roots for a team.

@Disneyhead , who is also great, is also not much of a Disney fan.

No one is going to think this won’t have issues. A new ride with multiple ride systems? Of course.

But everyone needs to keep in mind that all of this information goes through a filter before it comes out here. And that filter has its own biases and beliefs, some lightly tilted towards one way or the other and some heavily tilted one way or the other. But all tilted.

It will be interesting to see what actually happens. Less than two weeks now, folks!

Blaw923, therock, Spaulding and 3 others like this.
  14. Cup_Of_Coffee

Well I can’t speak for them, I have a source within imagineering that has said to me a ride this size is of course going to run into issues within its first year. So like you said it’s to be expected, but let’s see if they can run it for more than an hour without breaking down.

15. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

:shrug:

Yup, the axils failed on a ride vehicle during testing and they had to stop testing to have an all hands on deck meeting to solve the issue. As I've posted in the Hagrid thread. Also during testing they tripped all the fail safes and attempted to derail the coaster, and they did. That was also an issue I hinted at earlier but didn't disclose for obvious reasons.

Both of Hagrid's drop tracks were working two weeks out. The ride vehicles were cycling and all ready. Final testing and programming was going underway and staff was being trained. Then the above two issues happened. Hagrid was testing since February in various capacities.

Last I heard half of RotR elevators/drop tracks still aren't working, not all the ride vehicles are working, and staff hasn't started final training because the ride just doesn't run for more than an hour at a time. Also: the ride runs off of Disney WiFi. Could the info I have be bad? Sure. And I have stated that they could hit a breakthrough the moment I posted that.

Dunno what to tell you man, mod on Inside Universal prefers the Universal parks at this point in his life. I don't fundamentally hate Disney as much as you think, I'm more just frustrated by their additions just not being fun. But none of that changes the situation with the rides as they approach opening.

SeventyOne and ThemeParks4Life like this.
  16. Andysol

Andysol Veteran Member

That’s fine that you do, and I get it. And it’s certainly common (Samsung/apple, Xbox/PS, etc).

My point was simply that your information comes through your lens.
    I’d liken it to if you were a Samsung fan who defended Samsung at nearly every corner and then knocked Apple almost every chance you got. If you then got insider news on the new Apple xyz, I would take your opinion of that news with a massive grain of salt. That’s all.

In 2019 I think we can all agree that news, even if accurate, is told with bias and a narrative.

17. Legacy

Legacy Veteran Member

While the cynicism is understandable, rumors that elevator shafts and ride vehicles aren’t working and staff haven’t started final training are pretty objective things. Those aren’t questions of taste, or things that can be editorialized. If the rumors are false or overblown, that’s a risk insiders take.

Does bias exist? Sure. But not everything is, or can be, biased. And while insiders can choose what they disclose (within the context of their own filters), that still doesn’t make what they disclose untrue.

18. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Veteran Member

So happy to see someone else lay this all out on the table. It’s been negative comment after negative comment from the same people. Even when a ride appears to be handling capacity and operation well (hint Falcon) one of the usual suspects tells us it’s actually not working as great as it appears. Ok. That’s nice. Irrelevant.
    I was told on this board that Slinky and Falcon would have absolutely terrible capacity. They don’t.
    I was told that Hagrid was gonna run 12 (?) trains, it doesn’t.
    Don’t even get me started of all the false rumors floating around for what Gringotts was going to be.
    I prefer to see what actually happens before jumping on the rumors.

The only “proof” I see that rise will be a troubled opening is the complete lack of hype and cast training on the Disney side. Similar how Hagrid opened earlier this year.

Spaulding likes this.
  19. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

As Disney and Universal keep pushing the bar they'll run into issues like this...And as Twitter becomes aware of the issues we will be more and more privy to learning about these issues..We've gotten to the point where instead of comparing ride experiences we're comparing who had the more succesful openings....I'm not sure why everyone wants to make everything a Disney vs Universal thing.

Cup_Of_Coffee, Nick and rhino4evr like this.
  20. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

You can talk 'proof' for Rise but I can't remember any ride recently that appears to have this many problems and the sources are coming from every where. There's no smoke without fire.

It doesn't matter though. If opening day is a complete poop show, then so be it. Watching this from over 4000 miles away, it would slightly amuse me to see some anarchy but after a few weeks or months, it's all going to be forgotten.

I'm going in June and I have full confidence that it will be up and running relatively problem free by then. Call it a self fulfilling prophecy but I'm usually pretty good at knowing what I will like well in advance of experiencing it and I genuinely believe that this could easily be in my top 3 rides.

Coolbfitz likes this.