Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

Theme parks REALLY don't want anything flying overhead of the guests. Things like the Disney Springs drone show and the Hogwarts show in Hollywood specifically fly over areas without guests.

I guess Disney doesn't consider invited press to be "guests" though, so they do things like this, or the New Fantasyland dragon, over their heads at media events no problem.

It's a lot easier to stomach a single instance of drone activity over guest (with the intrinsic fall liabilities) versus regular, consistent operation.

My source mentioned to me (and paraphrasing a little, was a phone call) that any ride like this without running for a full year is bound to find some issues, so they do expect some. They said that unprompted, nor have we ever gotten into anything relating to operations or anything. Typically all I hear from them is rides before they're announced, some construction tours when I'm in Orlando, sometimes concept art before released to the public, but never anything regarding "Hey hows this ride working up to opening?" always is more detail oriented discussions, I try not to push too much since I generally know Disney is strict and I don't want to get them in trouble, as well as just wanting to keep this contact.

So, idk. My source has never been inaccurate and its not something new to any of us who've been following but my guess is a tough time this Winter. I hope a lot of kinks get worked out by April when I arrive!

With the drones not being full size, I wonder how forced perspective will play into all this. It obviously works well for buildings but I don't know how it will work without having anything for scale.

Theme parks REALLY don't want anything flying overhead of the guests. Things like the Disney Springs drone show and the Hogwarts show in Hollywood specifically fly over areas without guests.

I guess Disney doesn't consider invited press to be "guests" though, so they do things like this, or the New Fantasyland dragon, over their heads at media events no problem.

Was at Disneylands GE the other day and experienced for the first time the simulated tie fighter fly over done with LOUD speakers. It was F*^%!#KING awesome!

Was at Disneylands GE the other day and experienced for the first time the simulated tie fighter fly over done with LOUD speakers. It was F*^%!#KING awesome!
I like the sound design in the Docking Bay zones and in the Marketplace area. Great soundscapes...

I just wish there was music in the Resistance base and near the First Order post. Everything in the middle can stay.

But that’s a topic for another thread.

I like the sound design in the Docking Bay zones and in the Marketplace area. Great soundscapes...

I just wish there was music in the Resistance base and near the First Order post. Everything in the middle can stay.

But that’s a topic for another thread.
The with or without music is all about what they are trying to immerse you in. At Hogsmeade, they are not trying to place you in "Hogsmeade". They are immersing you into a scene in a Harry Potter movie where you explore Hogsmeade. Thus the nebulous soundtrack.

At Galaxy's Edge, they are trying to immerse you in being on another planet, not stepping into a Star Wars movie.

The with or without music is all about what they are trying to immerse you in. At Hogsmeade, they are not trying to place you in "Hogsmeade". They are immersing you into a scene in a Harry Potter movie where you explore Hogsmeade. Thus the nebulous soundtrack.

At Galaxy's Edge, they are trying to immerse you in being on another planet, not stepping into a Star Wars movie.
This is probably the best post I’ve seen explaining the reason for music in hogsmeade and why there’s no music in Batuu.

Both lands achieved what they set out to by making their choices. Now people may not like decisions that were made, but that’s a different discussion.

I am going to be here for opening weekend but from the sound of things are increasingly likely to drive to Tampa or the Kennedy space center instead of going disney on a short trip. I have stated before that on site guests alone that are sold out for opening week given the number of on site hotels would eclipse the daily capacity of this ride. We will easily see all day lines if capacity is limited on top of that.

I think Disney is taking the "we want you to be in the place rather than the films" approach, where Universal is more concerned with immersing you in scenes from the films. I get it...I just think the land is already so unique from the movies that some music would enhance it.

But I feel like we've beat this horse to death haha

I think Disney is playing a VERY risky strategy if Joe is right

Take anything Joe says about Disney with the biggest grain of salt you can muster.

It's really not that black and white. It's because testing that Hagrid's issues came to light before opening. Up until 2-3 weeks out, everything was golden.

As Brian said, above, Hagrids 2-3 weeks out had issues. In fact, two weeks out, they had to shut down and stop running the tracks completely for two days.

And yet Joe says:

This is in rougher shape than Hagrid was two weeks out.

As I said, massive grain of salt. I appreciate Joe, but anyone who spends time here knows it’s more than apparent that he roots for a team.

@Disneyhead , who is also great, is also not much of a Disney fan.

No one is going to think this won’t have issues. A new ride with multiple ride systems? Of course.

But everyone needs to keep in mind that all of this information goes through a filter before it comes out here. And that filter has its own biases and beliefs, some lightly tilted towards one way or the other and some heavily tilted one way or the other. But all tilted.

It will be interesting to see what actually happens. Less than two weeks now, folks!

Take anything Joe says about Disney with the biggest grain of salt you can muster.

As Brian said, above, Hagrids 2-3 weeks out had issues. In fact, two weeks out, they had to shut down and stop running the tracks completely for two days.

And yet Joe says:

As I said, massive grain of salt. I appreciate Joe, but anyone who spends time here knows it’s more than apparent that he roots for a team.

No one is going to think this won’t have issues. A new ride with multiple ride systems? Of course.

But everyone needs to keep in mind that all of this information goes through a filter before it comes out here. And that filter has its own biases and beliefs, some lightly tilted towards one way or the other and some heavily tilted one way or the other. But all tilted.

It will be interesting to see what actually happens. Less than two weeks now, folks!
Well I can’t speak for them, I have a source within imagineering that has said to me a ride this size is of course going to run into issues within its first year. So like you said it’s to be expected, but let’s see if they can run it for more than an hour without breaking down.

:shrug:

Yup, the axils failed on a ride vehicle during testing and they had to stop testing to have an all hands on deck meeting to solve the issue. As I've posted in the Hagrid thread. Also during testing they tripped all the fail safes and attempted to derail the coaster, and they did. That was also an issue I hinted at earlier but didn't disclose for obvious reasons.

And yet Joe says:

Both of Hagrid's drop tracks were working two weeks out. The ride vehicles were cycling and all ready. Final testing and programming was going underway and staff was being trained. Then the above two issues happened. Hagrid was testing since February in various capacities.

Last I heard half of RotR elevators/drop tracks still aren't working, not all the ride vehicles are working, and staff hasn't started final training because the ride just doesn't run for more than an hour at a time. Also: the ride runs off of Disney WiFi. Could the info I have be bad? Sure. And I have stated that they could hit a breakthrough the moment I posted that.

Dunno what to tell you man, mod on Inside Universal prefers the Universal parks at this point in his life. I don't fundamentally hate Disney as much as you think, I'm more just frustrated by their additions just not being fun. But none of that changes the situation with the rides as they approach opening.

Dunno what to tell you man, mod on Inside Universal prefers the Universal parks at this point in his life. I don't fundamentally hate Disney as much as you think, I'm more just frustrated by their additions just not being fun. But none of that changes the situation with the rides as they approach opening.

That’s fine that you do, and I get it. And it’s certainly common (Samsung/apple, Xbox/PS, etc).

My point was simply that your information comes through your lens.
I’d liken it to if you were a Samsung fan who defended Samsung at nearly every corner and then knocked Apple almost every chance you got. If you then got insider news on the new Apple xyz, I would take your opinion of that news with a massive grain of salt. That’s all.

In 2019 I think we can all agree that news, even if accurate, is told with bias and a narrative.

In 2019 I think we can all agree that news, even if accurate, is told with bias and a narrative.
While the cynicism is understandable, rumors that elevator shafts and ride vehicles aren’t working and staff haven’t started final training are pretty objective things. Those aren’t questions of taste, or things that can be editorialized. If the rumors are false or overblown, that’s a risk insiders take.

Does bias exist? Sure. But not everything is, or can be, biased. And while insiders can choose what they disclose (within the context of their own filters), that still doesn’t make what they disclose untrue.

So happy to see someone else lay this all out on the table. It’s been negative comment after negative comment from the same people. Even when a ride appears to be handling capacity and operation well (hint Falcon) one of the usual suspects tells us it’s actually not working as great as it appears. Ok. That’s nice. Irrelevant.
I was told on this board that Slinky and Falcon would have absolutely terrible capacity. They don’t.
I was told that Hagrid was gonna run 12 (?) trains, it doesn’t.
Don’t even get me started of all the false rumors floating around for what Gringotts was going to be.
I prefer to see what actually happens before jumping on the rumors.

The only “proof” I see that rise will be a troubled opening is the complete lack of hype and cast training on the Disney side. Similar how Hagrid opened earlier this year.

While the cynicism is understandable, rumors that elevator shafts and ride vehicles aren’t working and staff haven’t started final training are pretty objective things. Those aren’t questions of taste, or things that can be editorialized. If the rumors are false or overblown, that’s a risk insiders take.

Does bias exist? Sure. But not everything is, or can be, biased. And while insiders can choose what they disclose (within the context of their own filters), that still doesn’t make what they disclose untrue.
As Disney and Universal keep pushing the bar they'll run into issues like this...And as Twitter becomes aware of the issues we will be more and more privy to learning about these issues..We've gotten to the point where instead of comparing ride experiences we're comparing who had the more succesful openings....I'm not sure why everyone wants to make everything a Disney vs Universal thing.

Universal is better anyway YEET